Who is interested in Multi Channel Roon ?

Curious as to how many of the Forum members are in interested in Multi-Channel ROON ?
Would a phantom center channel be easier for you to implement, as you would just need tonally complimentary rear channels ?

would you be more likely to buy a MC download (with stereo included) as opposed to a SACD with a MC / Stereo layer ?

thanks

Philip

Dr Tone

Apr 24, 2016
Of zero interest to me. I don't really find a need for multi channel music, music has always been something that is played in front of me not all around me.

Movies are a different story, the scenes audio can be happening all around you.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Curious as to how many of the Forum members are in interested in Multi-Channel ROON ?
Would a phantom center channel be easier for you to implement, as you would just need tonally complimentary rear channels ?

would you be more likely to buy a MC download (with stereo included) as opposed to a SACD with a MC / Stereo layer ?

thanks

Philip
Yes, no, yes.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Philip,

I have a mch setup (5.1) so it would be interesting to explore. I currently have mostly mch rips of SACD's, but have been buying more mch (and combi - mch + stereo) downloads. I don't have ROON, buy have been impressed by the demos I've seen, although I would prefer better a classical music set up for ROON. What is currently interesting to me is the release of 256DSD downloads in mch, which are closer (or maybe are) the original master files. They are huge (I just downloaded several from NativeDSD) and each album is around 26GB! I started with SACD's since they were there before the mch downloads, but with higher res file now available, I would certainly look more in that direction.

Almost all my mch files are classical, so the rear channels are used strictly to provide the ambience cues that one hears attending classical concerts (which I do very regularly - 70+ a year).

Larry

Of zero interest to me. I don't really find a need for multi channel music, music has always been something that is played in front of me not all around me.

Movies are a different story, the scenes audio can be happening all around you.

Please I beg your indulgence; have you heard a well calibrated multi-channel system with a phantom center ?
The same system will play stereo perfectly fine, but there is something to be said (& heard) fro doubling up the information.

warm regards

Philip

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Philip,

I'm still workin' on my two channel rig! :) ;)

Dr Tone

Apr 24, 2016
Please I beg your indulgence; have you heard a well calibrated multi-channel system with a phantom center ?
The same system will play stereo perfectly fine, but there is something to be said (& heard) fro doubling up the information.

warm regards

Philip

Yes.

I still prefer the simplicity and purity of 2 channel. My Wilsons do me fine in the imaging department.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I listen to MC music in my theater room. Love it. Have a center channel and gave never been interested in a phantom. Most of my MC listening is done with live recordings which really benefit from 5.1. The new Melody Gardot Blu-ray for example sounds fantastic.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Yes.

I still prefer the simplicity and purity of 2 channel. My Wilsons do me fine in the imaging department.
No one questions your preference. However, the music is still played in front of you with good multichannel but, now, the ambiance of the performance space replaces that of your room.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If they add 1080p video to MCH Roon. I'm all over it.

If they add 1080p video to MCH Roon. I'm all over it.

Jack,

I do know that video is on the Roon Wish List, but there are a huge amount of audio features in front of it. Be patient, they are implementing new features at a tremendous clip.

regards

Philip

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Imagine how huge that market would be. On my part that could mean using just one HD based device in my MCH system :) I'm patient Philip :)

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Yes, no, yes.

Same here.

Yes on Multichannel Roon and Multichannel Downloads.
No to Phantom Center - I have a Center Channel speaker and matched main speakers. The way to go for Multichannel.

Also interested in Roon + HQ Player integration in Multichannel for playback and upsampling to DSD 256.

vindixon

Oct 29, 2012
Radnor, Pa
www.vincentdixon.com
I recently heard well set up multichannel at both Peter Mc Grath's & Andrew Quint's homes. For classical music it adds so much depth that when playing the same music on a fantastic two channel system it almost sounds broken. Once you have heard it well done it is hard to forget.
So Yes, Yes , Yes for me.

anglophile

Jun 23, 2016
UK
Speaking from across the pond, multichannel music is a tough sell but we have our devotees. Roon is developing an excellent following so having multichannel capability is really important.
Phantom centre can get some people out of jail so definitely good to have that option.
I definitely favour downloads even though we have some broadband speed issues local to where I live. DSD256 downloads are worth the effort.

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
I think Roon will continue to succeed with or without the niche Mch market, which, in turn, is largely about the classical music niche.

I am a huge devotee of classical in hi res Mch. But, I would personally need much more than just Mch and good library features for classical music in Roon before I would even consider it. Video support, including BD, but also TV, is one. But, I also use JRiver now to act as my Mch controller, since it has the features to do so, unlike Roon. My basic system is PC to DAC, period, with JRiver and Dirac Live software replacing normal Mch controller functions. I also watch TV with it via an external cable card tuner, eliminating my cable box. I expect it might be a very long time before Roon has the necessary features to accommodate my needs.

The GUI of Roon is superior and auto tagging would be wonderful, if it encompassed classical music well. But, in all other ways, JRiver does the job for me quite excellently, and I am far past the learning curve issues with it. So, Roon might never catch up to that for me.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I recently heard well set up multichannel at both Peter Mc Grath's & Andrew Quint's homes. For classical music it adds so much depth that when playing the same music on a fantastic two channel system it almost sounds broken. Once you have heard it well done it is hard to forget.
So Yes, Yes , Yes for me.

Is Andy the music reviewer that fitzcarldo introduced me to, if so, then I was amazed at how well classical sounded in his 5.1 Wilson duetta system in a 15*15 room. Much better than a 2 channel XLF (digital only). Old pass 30w amps. What MCH does Peter McGrath have?

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
Is Andy the music reviewer that fitzcarldo introduced me to, if so, then I was amazed at how well classical sounded in his 5.1 Wilson duetta system in a 15*15 room. Much better than a 2 channel XLF (digital only). Old pass 30w amps. What MCH does Peter McGrath have?

Yes, that was Andy, although he has upgraded his amps to Pass XA 60's with the very efficient Wilson's. It is indeed a very fine system that easily conveys the considerable advantages of Mch over stereo with classical music. That is also quite true in my system and in those of a number of other friends.

I have never heard Peter's system, only heresay about it from Andy. Obviously, his speakers would be Wilson's. But, Peter, for some obscure reason, embraces 4 channels over 5, and might not include a center channel in his setup. I understand that when he had a Fla. dealership, he would have ARC Mch analog processors modified for customers to mix the center channel into front L and R in a 4.0 configuration. I believe that all of Peter's own Mch recordings are also 4.0.

To me, however, all audible evidence points to 5 or more channels being significantly better than 4 in every way. Peter started his interest in Mch early - quad era perhaps. But, commercial classical recordings except for a few small labels have overwhelmingly gone for 5.0/.1 over the past 15 years, and with excellent results. Peter, with relatively few Mch recordings to his credit, is just a reactionary, attempting to buck the trend, IMHO.

Another major exception is the LSO Live label, which favors 4.0. But, no LSO Live recording is highly regarded sonically by knowledgeable critics compared to the 5.0/.1 competition from other great labels. Obviously, the Barbican's poor acoustics have been part of the issue, but so has the 4 channel emphasis of the chosen Classic Sounds Ltd. recording team, which has forever failed to impress me, even with their recordings of the Mariinski Orchestra in St. Petersburg. Other recording teams have done a much better job in the same hall with the same orchestra.

Perhaps Sir Simon Rattle, who I greatly admire, can get this recording issue sorted out, much as he has done with a replacement hall for the Barbican. Incidentally, Sir Simon just conducted a Mahler 6th here in Philly last night. Unfortunately, I was not able to be there. I eagerly await the NY Times critics' assessment of the repeat performance with the Philadelphia Orchestra at Carnegie Hall next week.

It is a shame really. Such a great orchestra. Such mediocre sounding recordings for the LSO. Compare this to the RCO Live label from the Concertgebouw. Now, that is great orchestral sound in Mch. A great hall? Yes. But, the Mch recordings in 5.0 on SACD are also invariably top notch.

Bottom line, Mch in a 5.0/.1 in the ITU angular configuration is the great starting point for excellent Mch. More channels, as in my 7.1 system, honestly do not add much worthwhile, even with 7.1 recordings. Fewer channels than 5, like 4.0, definitely subtract from the experience.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I can only guess but I do note that Peter and I have long struggled with the fact that virtually no dealers have multichannel music setups/demos. Even Wilson Audio does their own show demos in stereo. We all (Andy, Carl and unnamed others) have to support the grassroots movement for multichannel.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing