Greetings from Devon

guyser

Jun 9, 2016
Devon, UK
www.puresound.info
Hi, I'm Guy.

I run a UK based business selling valve amps under the brand name Pure Sound. I also distribute (in the UK) Aurorasound electronics from Japan, the STST turntables & tonearms from Germany and the new Etsuro Urushi cartridge also from Japan. I started in the audio business back in the mid 80's manufacturing a turntable called the Voyd. I worked for 10 years with valve amp manufacturer Audio Innovations and a further 10 years working with loudspeakers (Heybrook & JPW) before starting Pure Sound.

I still maintain an interest in DIY, low power amps & high sensitivity speakers & try to get over to the ETF each year wherever it takes place.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
HI Guy. Welcome to WBF.

I noted with interest that you are repping the Etsuro Urushi cartridge. Since I am in the market for a new cart, this one is on my radar. Could you elaborate a little about the cartridge and if you have heard it compared to Lyra's, Koetsu's, etc. Unfortunately, I have not heard it and would like your opinion.

Thanks.

guyser

Jun 9, 2016
Devon, UK
www.puresound.info
Hi Davey,

I got my first Etsuro Urushi in early March, prompted by trying the much cheaper Hana SL (also made by Excel Sound Corp) and having found that particularly even handed & a refreshing alternative to the usual mid price Ortofons, Audio Technicas, Denons etc.

I was intrigued by some of the design features of the EU particularly the sapphire (presumably synthetic) mounting plate and the sapphire cantilever. I asked a few questions of their representative & got the right sorts of answers so decided to try one with a view to eventually buying more. My usual (& favourite) cartridge is the original Japanese version of Kondo's Io Limited which is a field coil design requiring an additional pair of arm wires for the power supply. But these are no longer made in Japan, hard to find, & somewhat awkward to use.

In use here I found the cartridge powerful, refined, very good in the reproduction of tone and extremely quiet. I had been concerned that it might present music in the forensic, almost chrome plated style I hear with the Lyra cartridges but it was nothing like that.

I used the EU here for a week or so before sending it to a dealer friend in London who has the kind of clientele that might consider buying one. He also sells the stone bodied Koetsus, Miyajimas, & various others from the likes of VdH and Clearaudio. It fits in well amongst the other cartridges he does offering a different flavour to each of those but certainly at the same level. It seems to go very well in the SME arms although it has also been on Rockport & Air Tangent linear tracking arms as well.

Here it is on an AF2 at an event we participated in a couple of months back.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

guyser

Jun 9, 2016
Devon, UK
www.puresound.info
There are a few interesting pieces in that top picture if you look closely!

It is one of the Dalby clamps. The dealer friend has sold quite a few of them as I understand it. It certainly altered the presentation of both the Beat & the AF2 on that occasion although I didn't have another weight or clamp on hand to put it in some context. It is a very nicely made item though. If I recall, the wooden parts were made from Lignum Vitae a very tough & dense material used for various things including the manufacture of Crown Green bowling balls. I think Dalby does 2 clamps, the one pictured being the larger one. He also does some isolation feet although I haven't tried them.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks...that's what i thought. I am strictly a redbook guy, but i have read and heard about Dalby. I have heard Tron Syren but never heard Dalby. Would love to know more about their preamp/amp.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I've never seen any of the electronics although I understand he's built & sold a few pieces to customers in Asia.

Yes, Audio Exotics guys speak very highly...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing