Ron's T.H.E. Show Newport 2016 Report

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Great report Ron , I live vicariously thru folk that trudge the halls.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
If you call yourself an “audio reviewer,” and you go into an exhibitor’s room that isn’t using an analog source without commenting on the sound quality of that room, IMO, your other comments are meaningless.

Baaah Humbug

Dan, do you ever wake up with a smile on your face

Don't read it then Dan but your comments are so out of line. Have another wonderful day Dan

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Rodney and es347!

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Steve, Had a big smile on my face as I watched the highlights on NBAPlayoff Playback this morning.

Christian, Guess I would be grumpy if my listening room didn’t have any windows. Here my view this morning:
View 6-8.JPG

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That's great news Dan. Gorgeous view. All of us are trying to wonder about your comments when life around you is so beautiful. If anything I give Ron big kudos for telling us in advance he knows nothing about digital and won't report on it. I think that's the noble thing to do.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks, Ron. I was too busy to leave the room, and your report allowed a well-balanced, broad coverage for me to enjoy vicariously visiting with you and Steve!

Kudos to a new reviewer. When did you sign up to Mono and Stereo??? I didn't know - but wouldn't have treated you any different if I did.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Ron

I'm all digital but find your reports, posts and articles extremely insightful and well written.

Keep doing your thing!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Very nice Dan. No views in my listening room....only a dark abyss of emanating sound. :p

me neither.

I had a great view of the 4,000 foot high ridge behind my home, then made the 'mistake' of listening to the window inserts installed and found a much more complete soundstage with inserts in, and holes in the soundstage with the view.

no view......but happy listening. I'm 'all-in' on the listening. everyone has their personal priorities.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That's great news Dan. Gorgeous view. All of us are trying to wonder about your comments when life around you is so beautiful. If anything I give Ron big kudos for telling us in advance he knows nothing about digital and won't report on it. I think that's the noble thing to do.

Totally agree. Great point about a great review of the show.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thanks, Ron. I was too busy to leave the room, and your report allowed a well-balanced, broad coverage for me to enjoy vicariously visiting with you and Steve!

Kudos to a new reviewer. When did you sign up to Mono and Stereo??? I didn't know - but wouldn't have treated you any different if I did.

Thank you, Gary. Matej asked me to join Mono & Stereo in February of this year.

And thank you Marty, Holli82 and Lloyd!

cakeaudio

Jun 8, 2012
Southern California
Ron, thank you for taking the time to provide such a thorough report of the Newport Show, complete with great photos. I wasn't able to leave my exhibit room, but reading your report was the next best thing!

Ken

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Now I'm the grumpy one. It's hot and humid here and I see a pic of beautiful northern Maui! What looks like a Kapalua fairway at that! I hate you Dan! :D

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Now I'm the grumpy one. It's hot and humid here and I see a pic of beautiful northern Maui! What looks like a Kapalua fairway at that! I hate you Dan! :D

Jack, sorry it's not northern Maui or Kapalua (west Maui).

Here's a picture of the course we're playing this afternoon:
RB MCC 2.JPG

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Ron, after some thought, here were my favorite rooms at Newport - I used Jason Isbell's latest LP as well as Nils Frahm. No audiophile music allowed! My criteria are soundstage, dynamics, and tone.

Evolution Acoustics/DartZeel - as discussed before, Zep I on tape was just a magical experience. Easily the best "big" room at the Show.

Rockport/Vitus - I still think the Atrias could have used a bit more power, but this was an eminently musical system and less dark than prior years on BAT gear. Relatively inexpensive system compared with the neighbors as well. Ken is a stickler for setup and he succeeded, once again.

Avantgarde/Audiopax - I really enjoy the new XD line and horn dynamics that had a very open sound. This was much more coherent than prior AG efforts. I think re-tubing the amps with some better KT88s (these were stock) would yield a bit more body to an already great package.

Trenner & Friedl/Viva - as Doc and I agreed, by far the best "small" system at the show. The sound was vibrant, vivid, and refreshing. A pair of them with a Viva integrated and Rega TT would be hog heaven for a small room.

Honorable mentions:

Cessaro - to be fair, I didn't spend enough time in here but it sounded great on Jason Isbell. Would have liked to crank up some electronica on it - maybe at RMAF. They aren't pretty speakers, but they do deliver good sonics
YG Acoustics/MSB - best YG room, easily, and related digital that I heard.

Random thoughts:

lots of big analog and RTR...headphone area was small and confusing compared with last year...didn't hear a convincing Class D system I would buy...horns were everywhere (at least a dozen rooms)...skipped Magico/Wilson/Vivid as I've heard all of them many times and wanted to hear some different things...Gamut price/performance doesn't make sense to me nor did the Perfect 8s...but Spatial really outperforms its $$...Acapella sounded very liquid through the mids, but didn't hear any music with bass...Bergmann and Kronos are my favorite looking TTs that are not very similar...

After last year's WBF scuffle in relation to "judging poor sound at a show", I'm not going to post my least favorite rooms.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Keith,

You're right on the money when it comes to the tubes on the Audiopax. As soon as we got back, we swapped for some other KT88s, and the amps got a little more bite. We were also told they'd change considerably with small tubes than the JJs we had.

And that's one of the reasons I can't (personally) deal with tubes :) The OCD in me would be changing them around many times a day...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing