Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Great report Ron! Boy, do I wish I could travel right now!

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
"I suppose I should apologize for reporting only tangentially on anything digital. I, personally, do not do anything with digital discs or streaming or music stored on a hard drive. I play only vinyl and tape."

How can you be an audio reviewer/reporter and not cover digital?

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
Thanks Ron,

I do only digital, but the coverage was excellent anyway.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
"I suppose I should apologize for reporting only tangentially on anything digital. I, personally, do not do anything with digital discs or streaming or music stored on a hard drive. I play only vinyl and tape."

How can you be an audio reviewer/reporter and not cover digital?

I am a reviewer, but I have exceptionally discerning taste. :)

Since I have no real interest in digital playback I am not qualified to comment on digital components.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
great read Ron and Thanks for the UHA comments. My Phase 12 OPS has been a work horse. Never a problem...smooth operation.

I am glad to read that, Christian!

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Since I have no real interest in digital playback I am not qualified to comment on digital components.

"Vinyl playback is messy, organic, complicated, charming and not perfectly repeatable -- a lot like sex, actually. I don't care; please go get a turntable anyway. Vinyl playback is worth the trouble." - Ron
_______

"By now, have you noticed the difference between CDs and vinyl? Okay, even if you not still listening to vinyl, have you at least *felt* the difference between CDs and MP3s?......An MP3 (of a CD) is only about 5 MB. It's remarkable that 7/8 of the information is gone! What does this mean for you, the listener? The song's dimensional information is being thrown out with the bathwater.....

....The basic difference between analog and digital is in the latter's technique of sampling.....the samples, by their nature, leave finite gaps in the wave. These gaps are perceive subconsciously.

It's much like the difference between incandescent and fluorescent lighting. Fluorescents 'flash' on and off 120 times per second. Similarly, digital sound is stopping and starting constantly , as opposed to being a continuous analog wave. And the effect on our psyche is remarkably similar too: Both fluorescent lighting and digital sound can cause stress. (Even though it may be small, this kind of stress is definitely noticeable and even measureable)."
- Someone

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Then I would say you're not qualified to report on audio shows.

That's a bunk statement. He reviews and comments on analog sources and their systems at shows. If that's what he is interested in, great. I'm only interested in analog source comments. Don't really care about digital.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
That's a bunk statement. He reviews and comments on analog sources and their systems at shows. If that's what he is interested in, great. I'm only interested in analog source comments. Don't really care about digital.

If that’s the case, why did you waste money upgrading from the PS Audio PWD to the new DirectStream DAC?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Then I would say you're not qualified to report on audio shows.

. . .

I do not see the logic there, but you are entitled to your own opinion.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I do not see the logic there, but you are entitled to your own opinion.

Ron,

Curiously I would appreciate to have your opinion on the sound quality of systems playing digital. IMHO, in show conditions you are just commenting the systems, not digital or analog equipment.

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
I think Ron did a fine job on what he likes and cares about. Those that have something to say about things they don't care for tend to put them down and that is not fair either. Just like in sales, if you don't believe in what you are selling, you cannot do a very good sales job! And if you tell me reporters are unbiased or should be, you don't read the news daily.
Perhaps, in the future, Ron could compare analog and digital sources in the same system?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

I am going to do a show with a turntable in front spinning vinyl not connected with a digital front end behind a curtain playing the music for you. You are missing out on life guilty pleasure Ron

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing