Magico Q3/S3 Positioning

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
I'm not familiar with the positioning guidelines for Magico speakers like the Q3. These speakers have the same driver set up as the M3's that I will be receiving in October. I'm trying to figure out what type of positioning they like so I can see what adjustments to cables, racks etc might be necessary.

My room is 14 feet wide and 20 feet long. I typically will start a speaker out 3 feet from the side walls and 4.5 feet from the front wall (from the speaker face). I could get closer to the front but it would require a lot of gear rearrangement. Comments?

Thanks
Cincy

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 928

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Congrats on the new speaker purchase.

Is it safe to assume using a Long Wall arrangement is out of the question? Doing some quick maths I see that the M3 is 13" wide per cabinet. I would think that you would want to maintain a good 8ft span between the speakers but in doing so you are only left with 23" to the sidewalls based on your 14ft wide room. This is cutting it pretty close :)

The only time I have placed a speaker less than 8ft apart was when I was using a nearfield seating position which helped slightly with the perceived soundstage width.

But to answer your question I found that the S3's tend to like a decent bit of Toe-in almost aiming directly at the seated potions but in reality the two channels are converging at a point a few feet behind my head.

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
Congrats on the new speaker purchase.

Is it safe to assume using a Long Wall arrangement is out of the question?

I'm afraid so. One long wall is all door/windows to a deck (covered with heavy drapes) and the other has the access door and no power. I'll squeeze the sidewall dimension to make sure I get 8 feet. That's the plan right now.

Cincy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing