Is QD-LED the Future OR Is OLED TV'S ?

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Way too early to tell. The new OLEDs from LG are significant improvements over last year's models. We will be doing a shootout of current models at CE Week.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
There will always be something better. Currently, my calibrated 2004 Hitachi 57" 1080i RPTV looks great. When it eventually breaks then I will, most likely, get an OLED since that technology should be mature and stable by then.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
There will always be something better. Currently, my calibrated 2004 Hitachi 57" 1080i RPTV looks great. When it eventually breaks then I will, most likely, get an OLED since that technology should be mature and stable by then.

I'm very happy with my tweaked out Pioneer 500m Plasma with QuickSilver GOLD Contact Enhancer on all contacts INSIDE my Plasma TV. It even runs much cooler with this tweak too and it's been Two Years now with... NO PROBLEMS!

I'm going to wait and see how good these Quantum Dot LED TV's are... that will be coming out in 2020.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Gold contact enhancer makes your plasma television run cooler! I've never heard of that one before; from which book did you read it?
Is your TV 480p or 1080p?

I've read about OLED UHD TVs, about Sharp Quantum Dot Led TVs, one additional color...yellow, but those are already here, in 2016.

By the way, Pioneer TVs and Hitachi TVs I don't think they make plasma and rear projection TVs anymore. But the Kuros were good in their days, real good...the best.
I had an Hitachi 720p rear projection TV; and then the Salvation Army store near where I live...not for very long; so there must be a lucky customer who took the opportunity back then...2005 or around.

It is amazing today from one year to the next what they come up with and what is gone...like 3D TVs.
If they can use (Hollywood) 4K cameras I might watch few of those true UHD films on a true 4K TV with a true 4K HDMI cable, or a true 4K front projector with the money available in my savings account with less than one percent interest per year and a Canadian dollar aiming for sixty cents American money.
It sure doesn't help with our forest fires, and this is not even summer yet (the temperature right now is 100° F in USA degrees - 38° Canadian Celsius).
They say that El Nino, Global Warming and the heating of our atmosphere from the ultraviolet rays will melt our planet and dry our water supplies.
I don't know how accurate are our scientists, but it don't augur very well for the survival of our natural resources and the equilibrium of the human race with its natural environment.
This will drive the cost of food much higher, and browner lawns in California and in the neighborhood areas.

The saving grace is our movies @ the theaters and @ home. We can also recycle salt water (processing) to make it drinkable. ...From what's left of our oceans.
And with luck, we'll be able to find our lost planes @ the bottom of some of those oceans.

Last, and just in case; this post was written on a very hot Sunday afternoon with similar humor as what I've been reading recently...here and there.
But yeah, Quantum Dot and OLED are here. ...Perhaps with more presence in Japan. And 3D is big in China.

* You weren't serious about QuickSilver, or were you?

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Gold contact enhancer makes your plasma television run cooler! I've never heard of that one before; from which book did you read it?

I've read about OLED UHD TVs, about Sharp Quantum Dot Led TVs, one additional color...yellow, but those are already here, in 2016.

By the way, Pioneer TVs and Hitachi TVs I don't think they make plasma and rear projection TVs anymore. But the Kuros were good in their days, real good...the best.
I had an Hitachi 720p rear projection TV; and then the Salvation Army store near where I live...not for very long; so there must be a lucky customer who took the opportunity back then...2005 or around.

It is amazing today from one year to the next what they come up with and what is gone...like 3D TVs.
If they can use (Hollywood) 4K cameras I might watch few of those true UHD films on a true 4K TV with a true 4K HDMI cable, or a true 4K front projector with the money available in my savings account with less than one percent interest per year and a Canadian dollar aiming for sixty cents American money.
It sure doesn't help with our forest fires, and this is not even summer yet (the temperature right now is 100° F in USA degrees - 38° Canadian Celsius).
They say that El Nino, Global Warming and the heating of our atmosphere from the ultraviolet rays will melt our planet and dry our water supplies.
I don't know how accurate are our scientists, but it don't augur very well for the survival of our natural resources and the equilibrium of the human race with its natural environment.
This will drive the cost of food much higher, and browner lawns in California and in the neighborhood areas.

The saving grace is our movies @ the theaters and @ home. We can also recycle salt water (processing) to make it drinkable. ...From what's left of our oceans.
And with luck, we'll be able to find our lost planes @ the bottom of some of those oceans.

Last, and just in case; this post was written on a very hot Sunday afternoon with similar humor as what I've been reading recently...here and there.
But yeah, Quantum Dot and OLED are here. ...Perhaps with more presence in Japan. And 3D is big in China.

The Pioneer 500m is 1080p and QuickSilver GOLD is the real deal! This stuff will take a Plasma TV to a whole another level! My Plasma TV use to run red HOT before this tweak but now it only runs warm!...

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012

They are coming out with a new version of Quantum Dot in 2020 so these Quantum Dot LED TV's will be better than the Quantum Dot LED TV's made right now.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012

It took Plasma 8 years to mature good and it could take OLED that long too. It might take 4K five or ten years to become mainstream and these OLED's don't look that good with 1080i !

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm learning. ...About QuickSilver Gold. :cool:
_________

There is another thread, just around the corner, on http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-illusion-quot&p=397690&viewfull=1#post397690

A new thread could also represent similar attributes, picture wise. ...There is 3D, that for me the better 3D movies enhance that "holographic" cinematic movie experience...believability in the cinematic illusive picture reproduction...more homogenic...more touchable...more holographic.
...And OLED, Quantum Dot LED, 4K, 8K, ...
Plus immersive audio on the sound equation; Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D ... 7.1.4 and more on the high end pre/pro equation (24.1.10) ... TRINNOV Altitude32 (JBL Synthesis...same).

Why be constrained with only two speakers (stereo)?
And why being stuck with Blu-ray in the era of UHD Blu-ray?
And why watching movies in 2D when there are some more immersive/dimensional...creating a better/higher/more fulfilling illusion in 3D? I know, because of those shades when we're driving our convertible sports cars and Harley Davidson bikes in the Spring and Summer and Fall time.

Last edited:

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
I'm learning. ...About QuickSilver Gold. :cool:
_________

There is another thread, just around the corner, on http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-illusion-quot&p=397690&viewfull=1#post397690

A new thread could also represent similar attributes, picture wise. ...There is 3D, that for me the better 3D movies enhance that "holographic" cinematic movie experience...believability in the cinematic illusive picture reproduction...more homogenic...more touchable...more holographic.
...And OLED, Quantum Dot LED, 4K, 8K, ...
Plus immersive audio on the sound equation; Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D ... 7.1.4 and more on the high end pre/pro equation (24.1.10) ... TRINNOV Altitude32 (JBL Synthesis...same).

Why be constrained with only two speakers (stereo)?
And why being stuck with Blu-ray in the era of UHD Blu-ray?
And why watching movies in 2D when there are some more immersive/dimensional...creating a better/higher/more fulfilling illusion in 3D? I know, because of those shades when we're driving our convertible sports cars and Harley Davidson bikes in the Spring and Summer and Fall time.

No more QuickSilver GOLD Threads for me......I'm Retired now! :rolleyes:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Well, it's from a reliable source...Positive Feedback...it's only roughly $150...it needs 3 to 6 months break in period, and their site exists no more (dead).

And Quantum Dot LED latest won't be here till 2020...so we have four years to talk about something else. Like OLED fully matured...roughly eight years from now.

It supposed to rain tomorrow.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Well, it's from a reliable source...Positive Feedback...it's only roughly $150...it needs 3 to 6 months break in period, and their site exists no more (dead).

And Quantum Dot LED latest won't be here till 2020...so we have four years to talk about something else. Like .OLED fully matured...roughly eight years from now.

It supposed to rain tomorrow.

A fully matured... very cheap OLED is roughly five years from now but something better will be on the market by then.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
I wouldn't replace my Pioneer 500m Plasma with a new OLED! My 500m is now getting inky blacks like these OLED's now! My 500m has better colors now too! The only thing these OLED's are better at is the Brightness of the picture is a little brighter than my 500m.

If the new improved Quantum Dot LED TV's coming out in 2020 are not better than my 500m I will look for another 500m on the used market to enjoy until something comes on the market that is better than my tweak:bed out Pioneer 500m!...:p

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Yes, I've read about that. Is your 500m for sale? :D

NO! I will always be looking for another 500m but Pioneer only made 5000 500m's so finding one now will be very hard!...

These 500m's are still the best TV... money can buy!:p!....you just have to tweak them in a way that nobody has ever thought of tweaking them!!....;)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing