Genesis at T.H.E. Show Newport 2016

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
This year, I wanted to do something wild, wacky, fun, and completely off the wall. Break all the "rules" of audiophilia and deliver some spectacular music with something unusual. Luckily, Bob Clarke of Profundo wanted to play too!

**** commercial break ****
Those of you who don't know Dr Bob Clark, Professor of German History should try to get to know him. He distributes a couple of really great brands: Transfiguration cartridges (the Proteus is my new reference cartridge) and Viva Audio (Italian tube amps I've lusted after for many, many years but previously unavailable in the USA).
**** end commercial break ****

This is a system that I can imagine myself building were I living in a city apartment. In a small room, and only space enough for a pair of tiny monitors. Then, as I progress in my hobby, upgrade the electronics and components to wring the most performance out of the speakers (swapping out electronics is easy - speakers, not so much. These are possibly the smallest pair of audiophile loudspeakers imaginable - the Trenner and Friedl Sun Co-axial 2-way micro-monitor ($2,995). I kept telling Bob that they make me jealous because I certainly couldn't design a pair of speakers so small, affordable and great.

So, as time goes by and my income goes up, I keep on upgrading until we have the Viva Audio Aurora monoblock amplifiers ($45,000), SMc Audio VRE-1C preamplifier ($19,995), and Genesis Muse music server (priceless). Over $20,000 of Genesis Absolute Fidelity interconnects, speaker cables and power cords joined the stuff together.

Many who came in and had a chance to listen left slack-jawed and awed by the musicality and big sound coming from these tiny-tots. With the Viva Aurora, the bass is incredible and musicality off the wall.

Big-small system.jpg

Another Genesis system and just as off-beat but in exactly the opposite direction.

A high-end headphones owner setting up a system with an exquisite pair of headphones, driven with a Viva Audio Numerico DAC/Transport ($12,000), a Basis Audio 2200/SA9 with Superarm turntable system, Transfiguration Proteus cartridge ($6,000), Viva Audio Fono phonostage ($18,500) and the Viva Egoista 2A3 Headphone Amplifier ($7,500). A perfect system to enjoy music over headphones.

I can imagine her waking up one morning, and wanting to listen untethered to the headphones and wondering if a pair of loudspeakers could be added to the headphones system.

Voila! Stick a pair of Genesis 7.2f loudspeakers ($15,000) into one of the headphone jacks. Come for an audition and be surprised what a 3-watt 2A3 headphone amplifier can sound like through a pair of good speakers. Hugely dynamic, exquisite detail and resolution, and all the truth of headphones - to be shared.

Small-big system.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Your passion for mixing great technical knowledge, great music, a lot of fun and a penchant for the best audio playback always makes for great reading, Gary! Great stuff.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
So incredibly depressed I can't be there this year. First one I have missed and last year was the best by leaps and bounds!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Steve and I very much enjoyed Gary's "off-beat" 7.2f demonstration!

The three (3) watt headphone amplifier had absolutely no trouble driving the 7.2fs to realistic, powerful and thrilling volume! At this show Gary successfully dispelled the myth that Genesis speakers require high power amplifiers.

As with every Genesis speaker I have ever heard the 7.2fs were very transparent, open, detailed, dynamic and natural-sounding!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Many thanks, Ron.

I'm glad that you and Steve enjoyed our outside of the sandbox presentations. If nothing, it at least has people talking - using a 3W headphone amplifier to drive a pair of speakers, and a pair of $45,000 monoblocks to drive tiny mini-monitors.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
For those who want to be blown away by an amazing system you all must hear the system he describes with $2900 speakers designed for an apartment. This will make your jaw drop it is that good.

Hehe, these speakers are even smaller than mine, but the price is about the same (well, don't count my subwoofer…). My sound is probably better though -- better room and better location therein. ;)

Nice experiments, Gary!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing