DIY Titanium Tweaks for Air Force One

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
My friends Thomas and Mr. Tam in Hong Kong did some wonderful tweaks made of titanium for Air Force One.
The result is sonic improvement described by Techdas about their coming AF1 Premium.
Of course AF1 Premium's titanium platter is too difficult to make. haha

The original AF1 :
1a.jpg
1b.jpg

Step 1
2b.jpg
2a.jpg

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Step 2 : Better!

3a.jpg
3c.jpg ]

Attachments

• 3d.jpg
    3d.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Nice! :d

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
My friends Thomas and Mr. Tam in Hong Kong did some wonderful tweaks made of titanium for Air Force One.
The result is sonic improvement described by Techdas about their coming AF1 Premium.
Of course AF1 Premium's titanium platter is too difficult to make. haha

The original AF1 :
View attachment 27227
View attachment 27228

Step 1
View attachment 27229
View attachment 27230

will he make any more of the titanium arm bd insert ? Are the holes to affix the sme sled mount to the arm board threaded ?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Why are these better? I'm sorry but it looks like you replaced a non-resonating polymer with a resonating titanium?

Why not use non-magnetic materials?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Folsom, you read my mind sir. I too am curious as to why.

Tom

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Why are these better? I'm sorry but it looks like you replaced a non-resonating polymer with a resonating titanium?

Actually it's wood which has it's own resonant frequency. I have both wood and a custom Delrin (pretty non resonant) for the rear slot. Like anything...whether it's different platter material or different arm boards, it's adds it's own sound character...No reason to live in a vacuum of non resonance.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Sorry, posted the wrong photo. Now corrected.
Better sonics because after the successful Step 1, my friends made it an one whole titanium piece.

The story is : Original wood on aluminum > titanium on aluminum > a whole piece of titanium.

Yes, the holes are threaded for screws.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Sorry, posted the wrong photo. Now corrected.
Better sonics because after the successful Step 1, my friends made it an one whole titanium piece.

The story is : Original wood on aluminum > titanium on aluminum > a whole piece of titanium.

Very cool. You have a good friend !

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

I know that materials make a difference and its great to try some things but the cynic in me would point out that they would get "better" if they moved up to a 12" arm :)!

david

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I know that materials make a difference and its great to try some things but the cynic in me would point out that they would get "better" if they moved up to a 12" arm :)!
david

Thank for the suggestion.
I will remind my friend that his 2nd tonearm on AF1 shall be a 12" one. :b

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm not saying it can't sound better but...

OK wood vs I understand. Stiffness could couple the arm better to the table which may dampen the arm overall more.

However non-magnetic stiff material is better for proximity to things like the cartridge. I cannot possibly believe titanium screws are the best choice there. Coupling the cartridge tightly to the arm won't have the benefit coupling the arm to the platter will. You can't tighten it much. What you really want is things that don't disrupt the magnetic field of the cartridge...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing