Muhammad Ali Dead At Age 74

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Weakened by Parkinson's and pneumonia

A true legend.

I first watched him box as Cassius Clay and resist the draft and have his title stripped but there were none greater

He definitely floated like a butterfly but stung like a bee

RIP

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Golden gloves winner, ultra - fast heavyweight boxing extraordinaire, 3 time heavyweight champion. He defied the draft and gave up his title because he refused to fight for a war he was against and came back to win it again. A man who leveraged his notoriety for charity work and raised millions of dollars for food and medical relief around the world. In 1998, he was named a United Nations Messenger of Peace. Only Ali could say, "I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick; I'm so mean I make medicine sick." and make it have substance. Rest in peace Cassius Clay....

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Wow ? very well said. R.I.P. Ali
_____

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Muhammad, R.I.P.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
RIP Champ. You were the greatest both in and out of the ring.

“Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”

Muhammad Ali

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Golden gloves winner, ultra - fast heavyweight boxing extraordinaire, 3 time heavyweight champion. He defied the draft and gave up his title because he refused to fight for a war he was against and came back to win it again. A man who leveraged his notoriety for charity work and raised millions of dollars for food and medical relief around the world. In 1998, he was named a United Nations Messenger of Peace. Only Ali could say, "I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick; I'm so mean I make medicine sick." and make it have substance. Rest in peace Cassius Clay....

Great Post! Great Post about a great man!

He was my late father's Hero

R.I.P Ali

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
RIP Champ. You were the greatest both in and out of the ring.

“Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”

Muhammad Ali

WOW!

This brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing this with us

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I watched a CNN special around 1 am last night. (They sure seemed to put it together fast). Made me cry. He was something. I saw him in person twice. The first was a college where he was a guest speaker (U Rochester circe 1970?). Whatever "it" is, he radiated it. The second time was a few years later as I was walking down 7th ave in NYC. He just towered above that crowd he was in, with many admirers and hangers on. He seemed to own the world just walking down the street, and in fact, he did. I'm sure Howard Cosell is happy today to see his old friend again.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I only saw him once in person. I was waiting for a flight at the old Northwest gates at the Cincinnati Airport in the mid- 90's. Leaning against a railing waiting to board I looked up and there he was, slowly walking by with who I assumed was his wife and no one else. Tongue tied all I said was "Champ". He said nothing but did seem to nod.

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015
Weakened by Parkinson's and pneumonia

A true legend.

I first watched him box as Cassius Clay and resist the draft and have his title stripped but there were none greater

He definitely floated like a butterfly but stung like a bee

RIP
Not just a Champion in the ring, but a Champion of change. Standing up for what is right was not the easiest road to take... But because he did, we are all better for it.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Funny how Ali is now lionized for taking positions on American imperialism and racism that would get anyone vilified by the right and even "centrists" as unpatriotic, traitors and commies today, much like he probably was back in the days.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
For the last couple hours plus I watched some of his most important fights with the greatest boxers of all time.
Ali did not like to by called Clay. His poetry and ambition and personality and soul was to his belief in the power of himself with the help of the spirit.
He built a fortress inside his body and spirit, with the confidence of life's foundations and openness of the temple of the righteous...the supreme.

Ali was bigger than himself, he was the biggest fighter of them all. Not only with his jabs and fists but with also his mind. His mind was more agile than wildlife.
Ali showed the world how the world was is and how the world rewards him with flowers and dreams.
Ali made the world dream about how everyone likes to see themselves in their own brain but couldn't in real life.
Ali gave the world their ultimate dream, but no cigars unless you are Ali.

I checked several of his most important boxing matches, and I listened to his spoken words; Ali was praising himself from true belief that he was the best boxer of all time.
Ali was his own real life dream and our dream. But his was real, ours was just a dream.

There are several documentaries about Ali, some in black and white;...one that I have on DVD and that I highly recommend is:

He was Elvis Presley in the ring, but no guitar only gloves and a pair of trousers and runners on his feet. But he was a singer/poet/songwriter too...like Elvis. ...The show was simply different.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing