300B tubes for VAC 30/70 amplifers

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
Hi guys!

I am looking at retubing a pair of VAC 30/70 amplifiers. I was first going to go with VAC but have decided I am going to try another route for about the same, maybe less. I could go with VAC 300B factory tubes for about 1550. Alternatively I could go Psvane TII 300B tubes for $1580 or Shuguang 300B-Z Treasure tubes for $1300. I have heard JJ tubes in the VAC Renaissance amps in the past and thought the VAC tubes were better. If you have better prices or other recommendations in about the same price point, please voice them! I am also up for recommendations on the 6SN7 tubes. :D

Best regards,
Stephen

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I had VAC 30/30 with KR Audio 300b. KR should be much superior to Shuguang or Psvane. You should look at KR 300bs or EML Mesh used. Used AVVT are also alright

At a higher price point Takatsuki but a quartet would be very expensive. I would avoid WE reissues which are not as good as WE 1970s and before which are exorbitant

Last edited:

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
I was told to avoid Mesh plate tubes due to how hard the amps push them. Are the KR Audio tubes able to handle the VAC amplifiers? Also what do they cost?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was told to avoid Mesh plate tubes due to how hard the amps push them. Are the KR Audio tubes able to handle the VAC amplifiers? Also what do they cost?

Well, I didn't keep the amp long enough to figure that out but they were working fine when I had them. They are listed at 700 Euro for a pair on the Lampizator site. But if you had to get a matched quad I am assuming anywhere between 1000 - 1500 USD with shipping etc.

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
A matched quad for 1000 would be tempting. I really don't want to spend more than 1600 for an octet though... =(

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think more around 1500 unless you find one used

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
How long does the 300B typically last in a VAC?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

sickophant

May 24, 2013
Warszawa, Polsce; BrizVegas, Oz
I would avoid WE reissues which are not as good as WE 1970s and before which are exorbitant

Ignore this sort of entry. The reissues were Fantastic! tubes and would be more than likely all listeners' favourites out of the list of tubes listed on this post by Bozzo. Truly great tubes albeit a fizzled effort to restock the world due to dwindling WE 300B's, as I guess they closed again. They probably had to close again and the world's lost WE forever now as they fought against this ridiculous throw away remark that seems to have been sucked up by all the trilobites and couldn't sell enough against this (ridiculous) ill tide. "Not as good as ... ". Snore. Ignore this type of rant, it's commonly repeated 'round the traps. And I mean Traps.

The reissues I have found now to be virtually non-existent. If you spot a pair or quad or your requirements jump at those fools and they will melt your heart.

"Not as good as .." meandering foolish sheep talk. Suckers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ignore this sort of entry. The reissues were Fantastic! tubes and would be more than likely all listeners' favourites out of the list of tubes listed on this post by Bozzo. Truly great tubes albeit a fizzled effort to restock the world due to dwindling WE 300B's, as I guess they closed again. They probably had to close again and the world's lost WE forever now as they fought against this ridiculous throw away remark that seems to have been sucked up by all the trilobites and couldn't sell enough against this (ridiculous) ill tide. "Not as good as ... ". Snore. Ignore this type of rant, it's commonly repeated 'round the traps. And I mean Traps.

The reissues I have found now to be virtually non-existent. If you spot a pair or quad or your requirements jump at those fools and they will melt your heart.

"Not as good as .." meandering foolish sheep talk. Suckers.

Not sure why you have to be aggressive and call this a rant. The amp designer whom I demoed WE 300b reissues vs AVVT with, another local audio buddy, and another dealer (who does not deal in any of these tubes) have the same view.

I would also suggest reading this detailed 300b review with Kevin Fiske and Peter Qvortrup http://www.dagogo.com/psvane-we-11-replica-300b-review where similarly, they agreed that one has to go back to the 70s to get the WE magic.

It's ok if you disagree, but I can see why you call yourself sickophant

sickophant

May 24, 2013
Warszawa, Polsce; BrizVegas, Oz
Ordered a set of Shuguang treasures. We will see how they work.

I hope WE reissues weren't completely dismissed outhand. Maybe due to suggestions? Maybe a quick search was made for sellers? A mild interest otherwise? Otherwise this might read as "bought chinese tubes because the WE reissues are not as good as WE 70's and unders".

There's some sort of mass extinction logic for ya. Snore.

Your trump bloke's in for a ride getting american manufacture back on track and taking something back from china. When a u.s. company starts up again they will never manage to be better than their own 70's and under efforts so it will just go back to china for manufacture. And look, your public will be right behind those companies and will publically say so, so there. Aka, look above.

It'd be nice(r) to know I might be sticking up for an active company. Shame they've gone again. Reprehensible public mewling, automated belief mindlessly flowing and repeated through daft fingers, some automatic unconsciousness, some dog's bone(r) stuck up the collective r's. Thank god we have shugangs.

The WE Re-issue 300B's from the mid 2000's are Outstanding audio tubes!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I never had good luck with Sophia's,but that was several years ago. Renaissance amps run 300B's at the maximum design voltage. I always ran cooling fans with mine...lot's of heat.

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
I have run Shuguang black treasure tubes, JJ 300Bs, and the VAC tubes. The ones that VAC supplies are the best so far. On a related note, I'm selling my 30/70 amps and sticking with the 70/70. Anyone interested? haha

SuperTNT

May 2, 2017
Some users said that SuperTNT 300BYxII sound performance is a grade with Takatsuki 300B

TB2axOVobplpuFjSspiXXcdfFXa_!!13340916.jpg

TB2HmSwogxlpuFjSszgXXcJdpXa_!!13340916.jpg

TB2ARvwomFjpuFjSszhXXaBuVXa_!!13340916.jpg

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The Georgia manufactured new WE 300B will be available in December. They are now installing the manufacturing equipment....tremendous demand and they will import other audio equipment from Germany. I need 3 octets for my VAC's...I can't wait!

http://www.westernelectric.com/news-and-events.html

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing