Typhon price reduction?

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
I have 2 Typhons

Sorry Al, I don't know a thing about any of your system's pieces...

Hey. I appreciate interaction without the pointed barbs and sarcasm. A great deal can be accomplished by simply calling or e-mailing us. If you feel harmed, frustrated or at a sum loss with something we've done, we have proven time and again to be responsive. Richard Rogers (factory) and I manage customer service, sales, world travel, trade shows and marketing along with Caelin. Its a short list of accountability and we work 24-7 to make sure customers are not alienated or feel they have been let down.

It looks like you received exceptional re-sale value on the Alpha power cords you re-sold (in your sales history). I understand you may be worried about the value of the Typhon based on our promotion. I get calls every week from people looking for some way to own our products at a price they can afford. Call or e-mail me, I'll try to help. I have been the point person for 17 years with everyone that has contacted us, Richard for 7 years. We are still here for a reason--great performance products, real science, responsive customer service and better re-sale value.

Confrontational posts on forums is not the best way to resolve your issue. We are in fact, approachable.The rest is up to you. I can be contacted at grant@shunyata.com

Regards,

Grant

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
This is the best you've got? Really? You reduced the price $1500. That sets the new, lowered price for the Typhon. Period..... Really bad form here. You can "sense"all you want. The facts speak for themselves..

It seems to me that Kingsrule does not fully appreciate the fluctuation in retail pricing that occurs regularly with a variety of electronic equipment. All one has to do is explore the lowest available pricing for some well known models of televisions to see that market conditions coupled with manufacturer inventory can significantly effect price. Here are two good examples from camelcamelcamel.com (a very good comparative shipping site). Keep in mind that even though these are 2015 sets, their price fluctuation occurred through their current model year and well into 2016. (It isn't clear they are officially discontinued, as new Samsungs generally are introduced in April-June)

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 11.47.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 11.48.43 PM.png

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Marty is confusing commodity products with high end limited sale items. The two have no relation to each other.....

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Temporary discounts to balance inventory inventory are completely unheard of in high-end audio. What you will find are permanent price drops (or sell-off inventory through 3rd party channels) of discontinued products, and generous trade in policies to stimulate demand for new products. Not saying there is anything wrong the practice, but I have never seen any other high end boutique do it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Temporary discounts to balance inventory inventory are completely unheard of in high-end audio. What you will find are permanent price drops (or sell-off inventory through 3rd party channels) of discontinued products, and generous trade in policies to stimulate demand for new products. Not saying there is anything wrong the practice, but I have never seen any other high end boutique do it.

Edorr,

I have seen them happening very often, even profited from it. Most distributors do it. They call it "promotional sales limited to existing stock" or similar. The consequence is that you can not order material that is not in stock at this special discount.

Sometimes they disguise it - it can be the week of the world day of music, a celebrity date anniversary or something similar.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Edorr,

I have seen them happening very often, even profited from it. Most distributors do it. They call it "promotional sales limited to existing stock" or similar. The consequence is that you can not order material that is not in stock at this special discount.

Sometimes they disguise it - it can be the week of the world day of music, a celebrity date anniversary or something similar.

In my experience, high end boutiques (including Shunyata) tightly control pricing in the channel and would now allow a distributors to run a one-off promotion to unload inventory on their own devices. What examples do you have in mind?

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Guys.

We run our own promotions through normal commercial sales outlets. Distributors and dealers that run promotions do so in cooperation with us. Its categorically not true that once our products are represented in a promotion, that this becomes the new retail or valued price. Sure, there may be examples of that occurring in commerce or even HE Audio, but we've run many promotions over the years and have gone back to retail without any notable issues. Yes, sales of the promotional price product or bundle-promo slow initially, then return to normal within 1-2 months. Our past PS8 bundle and Hydra Triton promotions are two great examples.

Our used market, current-product value remains high, as they should because we do not use over-the-top dealer discounts as a sales tool. This means the profit dealers require keeps them closer to MAP with our product than it does selling lines with enormous dealer discounts-- usually based on sales volume or $/stock commitment. That's when you see real, sustained devaluation of a product on the second market, which affects retail sales. The practice is not common with electronics sales, but in the cable business --looking for an edge/leverage using lowered dealer price has become trendy. Two edges to that sword however, because deep discount (inaccurate retail valuation of a product) upfront, leads to devaluation all the way through the second market and short-life's the product. It doesn't require deep math to see where it occurs--many times at the top of the $ category, i.e.: new-car cable pricing.

I've invited phone conversation with those who feel harmed, but have yet to hear from anyone. I understand some of the reason for angst, absolutely. It's just that I'd prefer direct communication to internet saber-rattling. Its easier to keep up with. :)

Best regards,

Grant

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
A much more appropriate response, Grant, over the previous forceful and rather equally acidic comments. But at the same time, you can only do so much to regulate the internet, and folks can and will express concern "on air"

Last edited:

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
A much more appropriate response, Grant, over the previous forceful and rather equally acidic comments. But at the same time, you can only do so much to regulate the internet, and folks can and will express concern "on air"

More gets accomplished if a subject is approached in a civil manner, or it begins with direct communication. You and I matriculated that way years ago and that worked out well for us both in the end. I'm not representing this in a business context, just generally in terms of creating a useful dialogue. Productive communication occurs when there is respect given on each side for the others experience. If people give that, I reciprocate. You know that because we've been there.

As a company, we share a ridiculous amount of information about our product designs, Patents, science and measurement. I've answered the OP's questions honestly and with more information than I imagine others in our business would give. Yet, largely I'm answering people with pseudonyms and a 'who-knows-what' goal in mind . A call or e-mail helps inform a conversation. I can better address specifics versus responding to pointed on-line remarks.

Regards,

Grant

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing