Magico M3

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
I have decided to replace my somewhat problematic Raidho D-3's with Magico M3's. Ordering a new design speaker without an audition or a review was breaking new ground for me. I have to wait until October for delivery. The dealer is helping ease the pain by loaning me a pair of Magico S1 Mk II's. I'm going to pick them up next Saturday. There were some very good conversations on the Magico line of speakers here on this forum. I joined just now to continue the dialogue. Hopefully my experiences with the S1's and the M3's will be of value to other members.

Cincy

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Wow, congrats ! I'm also awaiting the delivery of my S5 mk 2. I've heard the M3 in Munich and they sounded supreme.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Wow, congrats ! I'm also awaiting the delivery of my S5 mk 2. I've heard the M3 in Munich and they sounded supreme.

I was told by Magico directly that the M3 was not in Munich. Adam, do you have any photos or can you describe the room and rest of the system? Perhaps you are mistaking it for another model.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations, Cincy, and welcome to the forum. I am so jealous. I have heard the M Pro many times at MadFloyd's house and it is a superb speaker. I also read on another forum that a Florida dealer sold a pair of M3s. I just had a tour of the factory, and it is very clear that they are a first rate manufacturer. Build quality, attention to details, testing, and just the way the factory was organized and clean give me great confidence in the brand. There is much pride among the employees and evident in their company "museum".

I was told that the M3 has a similar driver compliment to the Q3, which is my favorite of the current Magico speakers. Could you describe the rest of the system and room dimensions? Also, what is problematic with your Raidhos?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I was told by Magico directly that the M3 was not in Munich. Adam, do you have any photos or can you describe the room and rest of the system? Perhaps you are mistaking it for another model.

I'm sorry, you are right. Those were the M-Projects that I've heard. However, Alon have assured me during the show that the new, upcoming M3s will sound every but as good as the M-Projects, although they are meant for smaller rooms (the difference beeing the woofers size).

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I was THIS close to putting an order through, sight unseen as well, but then the realistic part of me took over, and simply said, "hmmm perhaps you should listen to it first, just in case". I am really curious how it will present the soundstage

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
Could you describe the rest of the system and room dimensions? Also, what is problematic with your Raidhos?

The rest of my system should now show up in my signature. The room is 14' wide and 25' long with a 10' ceiling. I had several issues with the Raidho's, mostly boomy bass. I tried every suggested solution but the variables never came together to give me tight bass, wide and deep soundstage and sharp imaging all at the same time. I took all treatments out of the room as the manufacturer suggested. Gagged on the slap echo and resonances. Put them back one at a time. Put granite slabs under the speakers. Put PS Audio regenerators on the dedicated A/C lines, etc. etc. Just couldn't make them work. I wanted to love them. The ribbon tweeter is the fastest, clearest one I've ever experienced. The room/speaker interactions ruined that for me eventually. The D-3's were my first ported speaker so I postulate that was what caused the issues. I have no scientific facts on which to base that conjecture. Just that this was one significant difference between past speakers I liked in that room and the Raidho's. One of the attractions to Magico was their philosophy of fully sealed architecture.

Cincy

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Let us know how this works out.

Dthagerty@aol.com

VIP/Donor
Dec 31, 2015
Solana Beach, CA
In the case of the M3's I have broken one of the rules I try NOT to break: " if it isn't broken, don't fix it". I really like my Q3's, but my dealer made me a really good offer on the M3's, and I too decided to buy them without hearing them! Knowing Magico, and having heard the M pros, I'm only worried a little!

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
The rest of my system should now show up in my signature. The room is 14' wide and 25' long with a 10' ceiling. I had several issues with the Raidho's, mostly boomy bass. I tried every suggested solution but the variables never came together to give me tight bass, wide and deep soundstage and sharp imaging all at the same time. I took all treatments out of the room as the manufacturer suggested. Gagged on the slap echo and resonances. Put them back one at a time. Put granite slabs under the speakers. Put PS Audio regenerators on the dedicated A/C lines, etc. etc. Just couldn't make them work. I wanted to love them. The ribbon tweeter is the fastest, clearest one I've ever experienced. The room/speaker interactions ruined that for me eventually. The D-3's were my first ported speaker so I postulate that was what caused the issues. I have no scientific facts on which to base that conjecture. Just that this was one significant difference between past speakers I liked in that room and the Raidho's. One of the attractions to Magico was their philosophy of fully sealed architecture.

Cincy

Congrats Cincy! Great decision. I think the sealed design of the Magico woofers will work wonders in your room. Plus the smaller woofer size compared to the M-Project should keep the M3's from overpowering your room. Please give a full report when you receive them.

Best,
Ken

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
In the case of the M3's I have broken one of the rules I try NOT to break: " if it isn't broken, don't fix it". I really like my Q3's, but my dealer made me a really good offer on the M3's, and I too decided to buy them without hearing them! Knowing Magico, and having heard the M pros, I'm only worried a little!

Thanks. I thought I was the only one who would do something like this. I feel vindicated!

Cincy

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
Cincy, what do you think of the S1 mk2s?

Peter,

I'm picking them up on Saturday the 11th. Will let you know.

Cincy

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
Spent the past Saturday afternoon at the Magico factory in California. A group of us from the AudioShark forum were invited to visit and listen to the new M3's. These relatively tiny speakers (ONLY 350lbs each) filled Magico's huge listening room and put out the best sound I've ever heard. Now it's hard to make comparisons when the room, front end, cables etc are variable but I have to say the M3's were holding up their end of the bargain with Solution amps and other assorted statement components. The factory was a well run operation. Most of the complexity in the fabrication of a Magico speaker is in the structure. They have several CNC machines turning out aluminum braces and brackets. If you take a look at the thread on AudioShark you can get all the comparisons and details you need. I just sat back and enjoyed the music without laboring over the details. If you are in the market for speakers in this price range, you need to have a listen somewhere to the M3's.

Cincy

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Nothing to worry about at all. We have 200 hours on our M3's/Mpods now and honestly they were dazzling right out of the crates. Have already settled in nicely with 200 hours on them.

I won't try to explain the sound being produced by the M3's, you have to hear them to understand.....all I will say is "RESOLUTION WITH SOUL".

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
Cincy, what do you think of the S1 mk2s?

Sorry I missed this post. I've had the S1 Mk2's in my room for almost two months now. Very competent speaker. Great detail. Wide soundstage. The tweeter is very unique in that the sounds it reproduces are very detailed with a fast attack and delicacy but there is also a saturated weight to them unlike any tweeter I've heard before. Very appealing. The bass is adequate for the type of music I listen to. Certainly more than I expected from a relatively small two way speaker. The total package complements my front end very nicely. I have no worries that the M3 will give me more of the same in my room with my other equipment.

Cincy

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Spent the past Saturday afternoon at the Magico factory in California. A group of us from the AudioShark forum were invited to visit and listen to the new M3's. These relatively tiny speakers (ONLY 350lbs each) filled Magico's huge listening room and put out the best sound I've ever heard. Now it's hard to make comparisons when the room, front end, cables etc are variable but I have to say the M3's were holding up their end of the bargain with Solution amps and other assorted statement components. The factory was a well run operation. Most of the complexity in the fabrication of a Magico speaker is in the structure. They have several CNC machines turning out aluminum braces and brackets. If you take a look at the thread on AudioShark you can get all the comparisons and details you need. I just sat back and enjoyed the music without laboring over the details. If you are in the market for speakers in this price range, you need to have a listen somewhere to the M3's.

Cincy

I was reading the thread a few days ago - it seems you had a great time, particularly having the opportunity to listen to the QSUB15 properly set. What were your findings about the sound with and without the sub?

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
I was reading the thread a few days ago - it seems you had a great time, particularly having the opportunity to listen to the QSUB15 properly set. What were your findings about the sound with and without the sub?

In that massive room, with the subs playing, the music sounded "rounder" and more integrated to me. I would be very afraid to try those monsters in my room which is much smaller and less acoustically treated than Magico's. The human voice and percussive effects reproduced by the M3's were amazing with/without the subs. This is why I love Magico's. They do these sounds better than any other speaker I've heard (Even the S1's).

PalletFork

Oct 2, 2016
In that massive room, with the subs playing, the music sounded "rounder" and more integrated to me. I would be very afraid to try those monsters in my room which is much smaller and less acoustically treated than Magico's. The human voice and percussive effects reproduced by the M3's were amazing with/without the subs. This is why I love Magico's. They do these sounds better than any other speaker I've heard (Even the S1's).

I was wondering if anyone has had enough experience with the m3 throughout the break in process. The reason I ask is my local dealer just got in a pair in the last few days. From what I heard I was impressed with the resolution,timbre , clarity and speed. What I didn't see was precise imaging, solid sound stage as well as missing bass in below say 40hz ( guesstimating).

Suspect this will resolve as crossovers and drivers get worked in over time , is this the case?

Told the dealer Iwould come back in to give it another shot in a month.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I was wondering if anyone has had enough experience with the m3 throughout the break in process. The reason I ask is my local dealer just got in a pair in the last few days. From what I heard I was impressed with the resolution,timbre , clarity and speed. What I didn't see was precise imaging, solid sound stage as well as missing bass in below say 40hz ( guesstimating).

Suspect this will resolve as crossovers and drivers get worked in over time , is this the case?

Told the dealer I would come back in a no thank give it another shot.

I would recommend going back when the M3's have a few hundred hours on them. Did the dealer have the wheels or the Mpods set up on the M3s?

Bass is so room/placement dependent, would not be surprised if the dealer just got them in if the set up has not yet been optimized regarding placement.

Evaluating speakers that "that just came in a few days ago" is fun, but is not very meaningful.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing