Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Magico M3

Quote Originally Posted by ksalno View Post
    Thanks, Adam. I spoke with Jim early on in the room tuning process and he basically said he didn't think he could help me. I'm not sure what I said or did that caused that reaction. In any case, I've been working with a bunch of different people and am very happy with the current sound at my chair. 2' in any direction is a different story. That's why I have only one chair in the room, I guess ;-)
    It sounds like your issues are related to fundamental resonances of the room, rather than the speakers

This may not go away with just moving the subs around

To me, I would, run the magico M 3 full range and run the subs very low crossover close to the lower end of the m3 pass band

Running subs at 110hz, means they will be effecting the midbass and probably having an effect in the mids timbre, and activating a lot of room modes with their power

True sub performance is below 40

Remember lowest note on double bass is 41 or 5 string 31

A speaker of the M3 quality should need no help in these frequencies, in a room your size

Thus should greatly reduce the perceived boom, this is exactly the set up I use, moving the subs freq over 40 u can hear the coloration higher up the frequencies in midbass and mids

Enjoy lovely system
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by awsmone View Post
    To me, I would, run the magico M 3 full range and run the subs very low crossover close to the lower end of the m3 pass band

Running subs at 110hz, means they will be effecting the midbass and probably having an effect in the mids timbre, and activating a lot of room modes with their power
    Agree. I have monitors, and even in that situation such a high crossover as 110 Hz would be detrimental to the sound.

Of course, it also depends on the slope of the sub crossover. With my current REL Storm III, featuring a gentle slope, the crossover point is at about 40 Hz (when set higher, there's midbass boom). I'll get dual JL Audio Fathom 112v2 shortly, and the manufacturer in general, not just for monitors, suggests a crossover point of 80 Hz. That seems a bit high to me too, and probably I'll end up with something lower, we'll see.

A friend of mine crosses over his monitors to his subs digitally, and even with that steep slope (basically vertical fall from monitors and vertical rise from subs) the crossover point is just 60 Hz.

Quote Originally Posted by awsmone View Post
    It sounds like your issues are related to fundamental resonances of the room, rather than the speakers
    Yes, you're absolutely right, it is room modes we've been fighting. I've been working with a pro studio designer and we measured the room at the listening chair to arrive at the proper cross-over and filters to try to reduce the room modes. We also worked with GIK to come up with room treatments to temper the room modes. From where I sit, it has been very successful. However, if I stand up and move to the turntable or to adjust something at the equipment rack, it gets very boomy. I think it is just a function of the room dimensions, which are not ideal. It doesn't bother me because I from where I listen, it sounds fine which shows the room treatment and filters seem to be working. However, it is not the kind of room that an audio club would enjoy - it's a one person room at this point.

Peter MacKay from Magico is scheduled to visit at the end of the month. I'll see what he suggests.
    Speakers: Magico M3 + Q-Sub 15 (x2)
    Preamp: Constellation Virgo III
    Amps: Constellation Centaur monoblocks
    Cables: Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7
    Power: Ansuz Acoustics Mainz8 D-TC, Ansuz Diamond cords
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi Stack
    Analog: clearaudio Master Innovation, clearaudio TT1 linear tonearm w/ Goldfinger cartridge, clearaudio Universal tonearm w/ Benz Micro mono cartridge
    Racks: HRS SXR (4x3), clearaudio TT stand

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by ksalno View Post
    Yes, you're absolutely right, it is room modes we've been fighting. I've been working with a pro studio designer and we measured the room at the listening chair to arrive at the proper cross-over and filters to try to reduce the room modes. We also worked with GIK to come up with room treatments to temper the room modes. From where I sit, it has been very successful. However, if I stand up and move to the turntable or to adjust something at the equipment rack, it gets very boomy. I think it is just a function of the room dimensions, which are not ideal. It doesn't bother me because I from where I listen, it sounds fine which shows the room treatment and filters seem to be working. However, it is not the kind of room that an audio club would enjoy - it's a one person room at this point.

Peter MacKay from Magico is scheduled to visit at the end of the month. I'll see what he suggests.
    Apologies in advance if this is suggesting the obvious....but how does the imaging / sweet spot breadth vs boominess play without the subs?

Just wandering if less is better.....appreciate not the easiest to move the Q SUBS though...
    Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Indra; Preamp: Spectral Audio DMC-30SS; Amps: Spectral Audio DMA 360v2 Monoblocks; Analog Cables: MIT Oracle; Power Cables: MIT Oracle; Digital: Bespoke Server [AO WinS 16, HDPlex 400 LPS, Pachanko Loom, JCAT FEMTO NET & USB Card / Regen Isolator --> Vivaldi DAC and Clock [ChordMusic Clock Cables; Vertere HB Pulse USB]; Racks: Finite Elemente Pagode Edition HD4 and HD9 Amp Supports. Power: Shunyata Triton & DPC-6 v3

For those living in the Midwest wishing to hear the M3 speakers, they are currently on display at F1 Audio in Palatine, IL. They will be there through March 1 when there will be a presentation by Peter Mackay from 5 to 9 PM. Also, Bill McKiegan will be present representing D'Agostino. Full disclosure, I am not the dealer but the future owner of the M3s.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Milt View Post
    For those living in the Midwest wishing to hear the M3 speakers, they are currently on display at F1 Audio in Palatine, IL. They will be there through March 1 when there will be a presentation by Peter Mackay from 5 to 9 PM. Also, Bill McKiegan will be present representing D'Agostino. Full disclosure, I am not the dealer but the future owner of the M3s.
    Peter Mackay does an awesome job at setting up speakers. I have heard his work at an S7 demo at Goodwin's High End a few years ago.

Glad to hear this. He will be setting up the M3s for me on March 2! Will be an interesting day.
    Also, my understanding is that Magico will present the A3s only at Axpona and unfortunately not the M6 or M3.

Glad to hear this. He will be setting up the M3s for me on March 2! Will be an interesting day.
    Also, my understanding is that Magico will present the A3s only at Axpona and unfortunately not the M6 or M3.
    That's interesting. Do you think the rest of the system will be the type found in a target A3 system or will it be with super high end/expensive gear like that found in systems driving the M3/M6?
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

I heard they were going to find electronics consistent with the price of the speakers as opposed to what they did last year with the S3 IIs and really high end Swiss electronics. Tentatively they may match with Hegel.

Peter is going to be busy. He is visiting me in DC the week of Feb 26 to set up my M3s and Q-Subs. I think I have the M3s is a very good spot, so it will be interesting to see what he does with them. The subs I know I need his help with.
    Speakers: Magico M3 + Q-Sub 15 (x2)
    Preamp: Constellation Virgo III
    Amps: Constellation Centaur monoblocks
    Cables: Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7
    Power: Ansuz Acoustics Mainz8 D-TC, Ansuz Diamond cords
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi Stack
    Analog: clearaudio Master Innovation, clearaudio TT1 linear tonearm w/ Goldfinger cartridge, clearaudio Universal tonearm w/ Benz Micro mono cartridge
    Racks: HRS SXR (4x3), clearaudio TT stand

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast