SATA Cables

Audiotruth

Jun 1, 2016
Sydney
"Re: The difference SATA cables made to sound quality (SQ)

I recently installed 2 Pachanko SATA cables in my server (one to a 1TB SSD - stores music files, the other to a 128Gig SSD - operating system). Additionally, I purchased a Pachanko's dual head usb Absolution cable (connected to a recently installed J-Cat usb card) the dual head usb cable claims to separate data from the dirty 5V power. More on the dual head Absolution usb cable in another post.

Before describing what I noticed when the Pachanko SATA cables where connected in my system, I thought it might be worth mentioning a friend recently purchased two Paul Pang SATA cables. So between us we have Pachanko, J-Cat and Paul Pang SATA cables, if anyone is interested I should be able to report back on the difference in SQ between the various SATA cable in a couple of weeks.

Now back to what I noticed after installing the Pachanko SATA cables. Although the owner of Pachanko a guy called Chan mention the cables should benefit from a 100-200 hours burn in, I found his SATA cables to be very good from the get go. The Pachanko SATA cables transformed the sound of my system. Not only was I hearing greater micro detail, the background was blacker, sound staging depth and width increased as well as an overall improvement in base. Specifically, base was better controlled as well as more extended. What was even more surprising was a positive change in timbre, texture and musical tone. Music had gone from a quality HiFi sound to being more organic. As a fellow Audiophile likes to say "it's was like being in the front row seat of a live concert". There was no downside to SQ.

Over the years I have replaced countless numbers of Pre-Amps, DACs, Power Amps, Speakers, Speaker Cables, Interconnects etc in the pursuit of better sound. Many of the equipment changes I've made, made a big difference, however none improved SQ as much as changing two SATA cables... go figure! My only caveat is I'm reporting changes I hear in my system, I'm not predicting how different SATA cables will sound in other systems.

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
i eliminated all sata cables with pci-e based ssds. they are not that expensive, either. $189 for 256 gig samsung pro 950, the last time i checked

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
i eliminated all sata cables with pci-e based ssds. they are not that expensive, either. $189 for 256 gig samsung pro 950, the last time i checked

Thanks for posting this. I juat upgraded my graphics card and sound card and was looking at a ssd next. Is the installation process the same? i am installing in an HP envy PC. Thanks BTW, did SQ improve?

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
your motherboard needs to receive a bios update to support the new pci-e ssds if it is older than the 100 series chipsets. pls check with hp. the latency and speed are out of this world with these new parts

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I recently installed 2 Pachanko SATA cables in my server (one to a 1TB SSD - stores music files, the other to a 128Gig SSD - operating system). Additionally, I purchased a Pachanko's dual head usb Absolution cable (connected to a recently installed J-Cat usb card) the dual head usb cable claims to separate data from the dirty 5V power. More on the dual head Absolution usb cable in another post.
Before describing what I noticed when the Pachanko SATA cables where connected in my system, I thought it might be worth mentioning a friend recently purchased two Paul Pang SATA cables. So between us we have Pachanko, J-Cat and Paul Pang SATA cables, if anyone is interested I should be able to report back on the difference in SQ between the various SATA cable in a couple of weeks.
Now back to what I noticed after installing the Pachanko SATA cables. Although the owner of Pachanko a guy called Chan mention the cables should benefit from a 100-200 hours burn in, I found his SATA cables to be very good from the get go. The Pachanko SATA cables transformed the sound of my system. Not only was I hearing greater micro detail, the background was blacker, sound staging depth and width increased as well as an overall improvement in base. Specifically, base was better controlled as well as more extended. What was even more surprising was a positive change in timbre, texture and musical tone. Music had gone from a quality HiFi sound to being more organic. As a fellow Audiophile likes to say "it's was like being in the front row seat of a live concert". There was no downside to SQ.
Over the years I have replaced countless numbers of Pre-Amps, DACs, Power Amps, Speakers, Speaker Cables, Interconnects etc in the pursuit of better sound. Many of the equipment changes I've made, made a big difference, however none improved SQ as much as changing two SATA cables... go figure! My only caveat is I'm reporting changes I hear in my system, I'm not predicting how different SATA cables will sound in other systems.

Thanks for sharing!

Another good source is Paul Pang Audio of Taiwan.
I have been using his for a few years.
His other CAS tweaks work too!
http://ppaproduct.blogspot.hk/2013/08/sata-cable.html

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
your motherboard needs to receive a bios update to support the new pci-e ssds if it is older than the 100 series chipsets. pls check with hp. the latency and speed are out of this world with these new parts

Thanks, you need SATA 3 so it looks like I'm going with the Samung 850 pro instead. This is my HTPC running windows 10. I decided to build a music server strictly for music using the Intel NUC and the Audiophile Optimizer, then it should be NP.

http://www.highend-audiopc.com/

Last edited:

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA

Hard to believe just from SATA Cables. :confused:

AudioDoc

Jun 7, 2016
I have used the Paul Pang SATA cables and replaced them with the Pachanko SATA Reference cables (O/S and Music SSD drives), I immediately heard an improvement in the sound quality when I switched to the Pachanko cables.
Also conducted A/B tests with several listeners and they all agreed that the Pachanko cables were superior sounding and was so impressed that they all replaced their PPA SATA with Pachanko SATA cables

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
And his first post...

Topic should be deleted.

Another closed mind and closed ears. Did you not have a FIRST post at one time.

At one time jitter, USB cables, power cables, etc, could not make a difference.

I am not saying this does just that until I try it I can not say he did not hear it, and neither can you.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Please. It's clearly a manufacturer or a firm hired to advertise for them. It would be like if the Alon Wolf got on here to say the S7 is the best speaker he ever heard, but said his name was Mike Daurity.

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
Please. It's clearly a manufacturer or a firm hired to advertise for them. It would be like if the Alon Wolf got on here to say the S7 is the best speaker he ever heard, but said his name was Mike Daurity.

Are you psychic or do you absolutely know. I can't tell you how many times I have been accused of the same thing.

Maybe he is and maybe he is not.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Are you psychic or do you absolutely know. I can't tell you how many times I have been accused of the same thing.

Maybe he is and maybe he is not.

Sir, I have a bridge to sell you...

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing