Compare ARC Ref 5SE with Dartzeel NHB-18NS

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
What are the impedance loading options on the phonostage of the dart pre?

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I love sharks, marvels of evolution without which our oceans wouldn't function properly. But on another topic it always impresses me how much potential top components possess. My Ref 5SE was sounding a bit tired so I'm contemplating a change. Then I swap a KS1126 ic from the phono to the CDp, and voilà, big changes. More impact in the mid-range and bass to the extent that I have to dial down the subwoofers on the Tritons. It's about the synergy.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I found them at RF Parts in San Marcos, CA for a lot less than Tube Depot or one or two other places that had them. I ended up buying 8 of them. 2 each for my preamp and phono pre and spares for each. I should be set for a while.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Can you still buy NOS GE 6550's??

My amp came stock with those tubes and they are as you say...excellent. Since I was unable to source them, I went with Winged C 6550's which are also great.. And are now also very difficult to source.:(

The NOS GE was a great tube - those I have measured had significantly lower leakage grid current than other brands or KT's compatible types. When the tube is used at low current, as in the ARC series regulators, this results in lower noise in the regulated voltage. However they are now very difficult to source. When I owned the VTL750's that used tens of 6550's I selected the best ones for the ARC power supplies.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
The NOS GE was a great tube - those I have measured had significantly lower leakage grid current than other brands or KT's compatible types. When the tube is used at low current, as in the ARC series regulators, this results in lower noise in the regulated voltage. However they are now very difficult to source. When I owned the VTL750's that used tens of 6550's I selected the best ones for the ARC power supplies.

It is ridiculous what they've have done for my Ref10 preamp. I never would have thought this was possible and was skeptical when I read Harlequin's comments but listening is believing. I'm looking forward to receiving two more for my Ref10 Phono.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I found them at RF Parts in San Marcos, CA for a lot less than Tube Depot or one or two other places that had them. I ended up buying 8 of them. 2 each for my preamp and phono pre and spares for each. I should be set for a while.

Frank, thanks for the info...and as a bonus they are not too far from where I live! Checking them out now.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Interesting - what is the difference you see on orchestral between these two tubes, Roger?

Apologies bonzo, I missed this one.

Having rolled every 6550 this side of Pluto, For my part whilst the additional harmonic texture and liquidity inherant with the TS Black's gells particularly well with say Ella, Frank, Satchmo et al, I prefer the somewhat more "accurate " tho still harmonically rich ( compared to the stock Sovtek) GE with say, Fournier's JSBach 6 Suites for violoncello, Led Zep IV or The Ring Cycle, particular noticable on strung instruments and piano for instance

Personally, I consider the GE, and later production Sylvania for that matter, to be the best "all rounder " accross the various genres.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Sensible approach, Should you have not tried any other valves than ARC factory I would urge you to acquire a tested NOS General Electric 6550A in your Ref5SE, your current pre has much more to give without the stock Sovtek 6550 which is glassy and 2 D in comparison!

This is very interesting information, thanks. I will try this on my Ref 5SE.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing