Reasonably priced dual-master clock (10Mhz) Rb and OCXO....

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
As the Esoteric D02X has dual AES too, i'll connect it this way.

On the D-02 or D-02X make sure you connect the Cybershaft to the "10 Mhz IN" connection which is (like the Cybershaft) true to 50-ohm connection spec.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Hi gents, how does one connect the clock to a Mutec3+ USB? I am out the AES of the Mutec and in AES of Yggdrasil...
Sorry for the newbie question.

Also, thanks for having me here :)

Since the Mutec can lock to any master clock signal 1-10Mhz (very impressive!), connect the Cybershaft to the Mutec using this input;

"
  • 1 x BNC input for Word Clock + 1-10MHz, 75 ohms termination switchable, unbalanced
  • Please remember to utilize a good quality 50-ohm to 75-ohm BNC:BNC converter on the Cybershaft end of a 75-ohm cable so Mutec sees the right impedance (75-ohm) and the Cybershaft is able to 50-ohms at the connector...

pam1975

Apr 14, 2017
Since the Mutec can lock to any master clock signal 1-10Mhz (very impressive!), connect the Cybershaft to the Mutec using this input;

"
  • 1 x BNC input for Word Clock + 1-10MHz, 75 ohms termination switchable, unbalanced
  • Please remember to utilize a good quality 50-ohm to 75-ohm BNC:BNC converter on the Cybershaft end of a 75-ohm cable so Mutec sees the right impedance (75-ohm) and the Cybershaft is able to 50-ohms at the connector...

Thanks a lot! :)
Does the cybershaft exist in 220V too or only 110V? think I read this somewhere...

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010

gplated70

Apr 15, 2017
Earth, yet:)

gplated70

Apr 15, 2017
Earth, yet:)
My friend just bought the $1000 CyberShaft Premium OCXO:

CyberShaft OCXO Premium

It already has much lower jitter than the $23.000 Esoteric G-01 Rubidium Clock, not to mention the $6000 Antelope crap:

He will test it with his dCS Vivaldi stack (directly connected to the 10M clock input on the Vivaldi clock).

If it performes as expected, we will try the $2800 Cybershaft OCXO Limited IP17 clock:

Does anyone compared the so called "crap" with the other models? Does anyone know how much is the phase noise threshold to achieve a good impact on audio?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

pam1975

Apr 14, 2017
does it make sense to use such an external ref clock before an Yggdrasil? (in my case associated to my Mutec MC3+USB).
My question is whether the limiting factor won't be the internal clock of the Yggdrasil and as such, anything done before the Yggy would be negated by a potentially inferior clock within the DAC itself?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Unfortunately the seller charges $45 to ship outside US ...

Have you tried just bringing up www.pasternack.com and ordering direct from them?

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Hi SC.
I'm waiting for the new clock that you said....
:cool:

I'm testing a prototype only as I said; there is no guarantee that it will be better than a great OP13 or OP14 implementation.

Surprisingly enough, in a recent test an OP28 (yes such things do exist but they are like unobtanium, 1 in thousands upon thousands tests out this good) based 10 mHz clock actually did NOT help the audio signal quality, imaging, musicality, etc...at all; quite the opposite. Even though the phase noise was almost immeasurable, signal strength was very low, locking then of course became much more difficult and most importantly, the resultant musical playback was not as good at all. I cannot give more details unfortunately but suffice it to say that I've heard nothing to date that beats a great quality OP13 or OP14 implementation. That may change but we'll see.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
A fascinating read on what type of setup and care it takes to produce quality master clocking products and also what it takes to maintain the calibration and testing to do so;

http://www.cybershaft.jp/clockcal.html

Also,...I've concluded many months of testing with 2 additional OCXO clocks from Cybershaft whose OCXO circuit was even more refined than the OP13+ type 2 unit in my RBOCXO-01 and also with a loaned high-quality Rubidium unit (used to have the Esoteric G-0s but it is no longer in my system so I had to borrow its successor from a friend). Please note my earlier testing with an OP28 level device did not yield good a result set and musical playback result as I had hoped; the 2 latest units tested for several months were above OP13 but not as high as OP28....

At each step of the way, the idea that lower phase noise (and thus lower harmonic distortion and better Allan Variance (measure of short-term stability) were fundamental to the best musical playback, imaging, sound-staging and realistic playback has been proven as a fact.

In side by side comparisons of OCXO and Rb-based clocking, I found that I preferred, by a large margin, a high-quality OCXO clock circuit's impact on the musical playback experience every time.

Reactions: V_W

Scaena1

Industry Expert
Sep 13, 2010
Cybershaft not available. The Mutec ref 10 works beautifully for us with the Vivaldi clock/stack.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Cybershaft not available. The Mutec ref 10 works beautifully for us with the Vivaldi clock/stack.

Cybershaft clocks are avialble both on Amazon and Yahoo.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing