VSI75 thoughts?

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
I have been trying to find info on the VSI75 but not much out there. What are your impressions? Is it smarter to save up a few more pennies and go higher in the line up?

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
I have been trying to find info on the VSI75 but not much out there. What are your impressions? Is it smarter to save up a few more pennies and go higher in the line up?

sorry newmill. i answered this in the other thread but will copy here for ya.

if i were you i would wait and buy the new foundation stuff. i keep hearing the foundation stuff is awfully close to their ref stuff. and the arc ref stuff is really hard to beat if you like the tube, 3-d realistic, * holy s*** experience listening to music.

i keep judging sound based on my good friends system (in the pic) and this system is without a doubt the best sounding thing i have heard. and he doesnt use use the cd8. he uses the amg v12 turntable with the ref3 phono stage not seen. it is the most amazing thing to listen to, full stop. so if you can ... save and get the foundation stuff. i think they are ~ $7500 a piece.

Attachments

• IMG_0610(1).JPG
    IMG_0610(1).JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 289

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
Picked up a new VSI 75 with the KT150 tubes. Its a beautiful integrated amp. Initially I was disappointed, but after 90 hours of break in, it began to open up nicely. This amp really needs more attention by the reviewers. In my opinion at this price point it far outperforms a lot of competitors. I still have my eye on a Ref 75 SE for the near future.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congratulations. Would love a photo and your thoughts after break in.

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
The VSI75 only had 90 hours on it, but it was starting to sound amazing but I could already tell that it wasn't going to check all the boxes that I have come to want in my Hi Fi system. Having the Ars Sonum Filarmonia integrated tube amp in my system was a bit of a revelation for me. Its only shortfall was a lack of power (35 watts) which translated into a lack of bass and a real room filling sound. The sound stage and imaging were to die for and the VSI75, although good, was no where near the Filarmonia. I found myself regretting selling it because in order to equal or better it, the price of admission was going to be high. This is what led me to grab the ARC Ref75 SE/LS27 combo. Both of these units are broken in, as they were dealer demos. My Sonus Faber Elipsas have never sounded so good. The bass is strong and controlled, the mids are to die for and the highs are smooth and accurate. Vocals have a presence in my listening room like never before. The ARC combo presents a realistic cohesive sound that the Filarmonia could not accomplish. The VSI75 is a fabulous amplifier as well, but the magic really comes with the step up the ARC line.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing