My most complete improvement for Oppo BDP 105/105D

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
- Replacing the original SMPS with the linear power module (internal mounted). This mod it include:
Double AC filters for internal transformer as for the original toroid (analogue power).
R core transformer for best main AC noise isolation.
Most advanced power regulators on market today for the best noise figures (output ripple & harmonics level under 3µV, at full load - 5A on 5v rail).
Remote current sensing design for best regulation at the cable connection endpoint
Extra HF filtering cell on cable connection end.
Solid filtering capacity values for both power rails (more than 100 000µF on 5v rail).
When implementing the internal LPM, it is recommended removing the multi-channel board for best cooling and ventilation of the entire device, including main processor.
This LPM it can work enough well with multi-channel board in place and functional, but then the inside ventilation is less effective and the overall working temperature it increase...
The LPM is now upgraded for a total of 400mF filtering capacity for 5v rail and 160mF for 15v rail. Rock stable on a large AC main variation, and superbe noise performances...

- Improving completely the original analogue power stage on stereo board, as the filtering caps on main/digital board - DC/DC converters/PSUs). This mod it include:
Schottky all rectifier diodes, solid filtering capacities, improving the existing +/- 12v regulators.
Adding pre regulator for 5v analogue power rail, replacing all of the stock regulators for DAC chip, with ultra-low noise ones.
Improving the existing regulator for DAC`s analogue stage, improving filtering capacities for all DAC power rails.
As an alternative, installing my special designed DAC PSU for the analogue power rails of the DAC chip,
and dismissing the original regulator on board.

- Implementing the output module. This mod it have two versions (active / passive) and it include:
1. Fully differential signal processing design (based on OPA1632), using dedicated ultra-low noise regulators (TPS) for each opamp chip.
Configuring DAC chip for 2+2 output. Special AC coupling caps configuration, for best signal transparency.
The output module is designed as a detachable approach, which it allow the user to experiment with different output circuits versions, without modifying any further on the stereo board.
A motherboard for this module, it is soldered on the stereo board, and it give access to the DAC output signals, to the +/-power lines, and to the AC coupled final outputs.
2. Lundahl transformers as passive output stage/module. This it mean the transformers are directly connected to the DAC chip.
No any active I/V stage, no AC coupling caps on outputs, not necessary the improvement of the analogue +/- power system, lower heat dissipation.

- Implementing the battery powered clock board. This mod it have two versions and it include:
Centralised powered clock system for the whole device. Damping mechanical mounting for clock board, to prevent any vibrations/alteration of the clock signals.
1. Epson SAW 108Mhz clock for DAC, 27Mhz and 20Mhz Abracon oscillators for main processor, and for HDMI chip, as a standard option.
2. Unified clock oscillator (SAW 216Mhz) for DAC and main processor, with high quality frequency divider (Ghz rated class device) + 20Mhz Abracon oscillator for HDMI chip.

- Improvements for the asynchronous USB interface. This mod include:
Isolated digital interface for the USB board (board fully electrical isolated from the rest of the player, including grounding).
Ultra low noise regulator replacing the original one on board. Entire board powered from its own low noise linear PSU. Replacing of the stock on board oscillators with NDK ones.

Attachments

• Mods1.jpg
    Mods1.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 1,061
  • Mods2.jpg
    Mods2.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 964
  • LPMinside.jpg
    LPMinside.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 942
  • USBinterface105-105D.jpg
    USBinterface105-105D.jpg
    626.8 KB · Views: 902
  • TtransformerOutputStage.jpg
    TtransformerOutputStage.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 955
Last edited:

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
New LPM version. New filtering concept, using double layers capacitors. This new version it have a total of 2F filtering capacity on both main power rails. Under 1µV residual ripple on full load (5v/5A, 15v/0,8A).
My new LPM it dissipate through the device chassis.

Attachments

• New LPM version - DLC 1.jpg
    New LPM version - DLC 1.jpg
    803.2 KB · Views: 811
  • New LPM in place.jpg
    New LPM in place.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 782

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
I did it, and I`m doing it myself... Well, there are in the background some years of work, findings, experimenting, and so on. Here is a quite finalised result of this activity... :)

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Excellent work, Coris.

I'm only now looking at using Linear PSUs to try and see visual differences in Blu-Ray Players if any. Reading about it so far.

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Excellent work, Coris.

I'm only now looking at using Linear PSUs to try and see visual differences in Blu-Ray Players if any. Reading about it so far.

There are indeed big differences for both sound and picture, when the digital system is powered from a linear PSU. Please take a look at the comparative pictures hereby... Same device (measured) while powered by the original (improved filtering) SMPS, and my (old version) LPM. The new version LPM it behave even better...

Attachments

• powered device by LPMvsSMPS.jpg
    powered device by LPMvsSMPS.jpg
    1,022.1 KB · Views: 783

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
There are indeed big differences for both sound and picture, when the digital system is powered from a linear PSU. Please take a look at the comparative pictures hereby... Same device (measured) while powered by the original (improved filtering) SMPS, and my (old version) LPM. The new version LPM it behave even better...

Thanks, I've only just recently reading about it for the picture quality actually.

Do you know if there are any high-resolution comparisons for Blu-Ray picture quality (before & after) posted somewhere?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

The images are too small for me to see clearly (yeh, getting old :D ). But in the latter two it seems that you traded high frequency noise in the switchmode power supply for elevated low frequency ones in the linear power supply. Since audio is low frequency, I am not sure the trade off is a correct one. :)

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Thanks, I've only just recently reading about it for the picture quality actually.

Do you know if there are any high-resolution comparisons for Blu-Ray picture quality (before & after) posted somewhere?

Sorry, I can not answer positively to your question...

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
The images are too small for me to see clearly (yeh, getting old :D ). But in the latter two it seems that you traded high frequency noise in the switchmode power supply for elevated low frequency ones in the linear power supply. Since audio is low frequency, I am not sure the trade off is a correct one. :)

Well, a good explanation may still pending also...
The negative impact of the high frequency noises, abundantly generated by a SMPS, it seems quite obvious. In my opinion this negative impact of using a SMPS in a hifi/HD device, is more accentuated for video signals. I think this assertion it make sense also. In audio domain, the things are a little bit more sophisticated, as I personally appreciate it so far. Here is like one work near to a computer, with a good cooling/fan system for many hours, without being disturbed so much about that monotone fan noise coming out of that computer. At the moment one turn that computer off, it suddenly realise the disturbing noise it faced for so long. I can say it is almost the same about the audio section in a SMPS powered device. After one power that (same) device from a linear PSU, it realise at once what it was wrong before. Else, everything it goes fine...
As I noticed so far, when a digital system, which it process data for audio, is powered by a linear PSU (much lower overall noise level injected into the system), it increase quite much the precision of the reproduced sounds coming out on that device`s outputs. The increasing in the reproduced fidelity is not just about better trebles, deeper bass, or better voices out of the speakers. There is about obvious improving in the sound scene generated by the reproduced (play backed) recording. The sound elements are much better defined in space (generated by a stereo system), more precise perceptual localisation in the 3D space (excluding up/down axes...), the voices come in front, and is improved its presence into the sound scene. It is much more easy to distinguish two very near voices (in front of a stereo microphone at the recording session), or two very close instruments (sound sources), like two or more cymbals in a percussion stage. and so on...While one can see a better picture on a display, the improvements for audio are more subtile, with a special richness, and many nuances. As all these appreciations are based on enough individual/particular perceptions, there may not be very easy to quantify it, or measure it... However, when such appreciations or perceptions are quite similar for many individuals, then one may conclude that it may be something factual in such cases...
Well, some of my considerations, based on the experience I got, working on these things for a while...

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
The overall result... As I was/am interested mostly in the audio section of the device, my mods targeted this area. Knowing that Oppo have implemented the new and most advanced DAC chip (at that time) for their BD player series, and experienced how they done it, I decided to improve in this direction. The final result it have in fact an important improvement impact also for the video section as well (as a bonus...;) )

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
The overall result... As I was/am interested mostly in the audio section of the device, my mods targeted this area. Knowing that Oppo have implemented the new and most advanced DAC chip (at that time) for their BD player series, and experienced how they done it, I decided to improve in this direction. The final result it have in fact an important improvement impact also for the video section as well (as a bonus...;) )

Have you ever heard the Modwright Truth version of the OPPO? IN MY HUMBLE OPINION it's the gold standard.

If so, how does yours compare?

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Have you ever heard my moded Oppo device? For sure, not. So, how can you appreciate/decide which of these devices it may be a gold standard one? In this filed of activity are many "actors" out there (some serious, some just the opposite...), and a basic comparative it should be done before one could postulate a verdict...
I appreciate and respect the Modwright work in this field. For sure he have good results, and the large scale of appreciations it confirm these good results. However, in my opinion there is not possible to achieve a very high level of improvements or quality on a such Oppo device, while keeping uncorrected some important/basic faults in Oppo original design for these players. As that design it was for sure done by professionals, the faults may not be the result of their professional work, but these (mass production) products are strong affected by financial aspects, production costs and so on. The last word it was for sure, the word of the Oppo financial department, before the product it was released out on market...
Referring to the design faults, there is mainly about the DAC chip power system (which is wrong as original), the analogue power system which is not very elaborated, but a very simple one, the clock system which is not very impressive solution in the original design, and finally (the most important) about the primary power supply of these devices, which is a very noisy and cheap SMPS. Modwright it correct something about the clock system and mainly it replace the analogue post DAC processing, with a valve stage one. This radical modification for the final analogue stage it change very much the way the player it sounds. The result is a quite particular sound, well known for a tube stage. I do not deny the quality of a such modification, but in the same time we must admit that it is not more than this. The impact of my improvements is for both picture and sound. The Modwright one it is focused only on sound (as I know so far...).
What quality improvement it may be for a device which is still be powered by a PSU (SMPS) which it spread a large HF noise spectre, of more than 100mV, in the whole system, affecting both sound and picture processing? My last version LPM it achieve less than 1µV residual ripple on full load, and is completely free for HF noises...
I do not pretend at all that my modification solutions it may be the best approach, but I personally chose to be a little bit more reserved when to declare/postulate/state that one or another mod approach it is the best one. It were however not done yet any comparative detailed tests out there about this subject... Even though I do not declare it myself my mod approach as the best one, I can only say that this improvement approach is the most complex/complete one (so far and as I know for moment), and it touch all the main and critical stages of this device.
As it was pointed out in a discussion in another forum, it will be very fortunate to have a such player, which it may include both mine and Modwright improvements in the same device. I actually fully agree about a such idea/wish... My modded Oppo, with a Modwright final stage, or the Modwright modded device completed with my mods it may be indeed that "gold standard"...

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
My modded Oppo, with a Modwright final stage, or the Modwright modded device completed with my mods it may be indeed that "gold standard"...

That would probably be it. :D

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
As I probably previously mentioned, I do not focus on (BD) movies, when about a such player device. Actually I do not care so much about the sound quality in a movie. For me the sound it is only an accessory in a movie, but not the main point of interest. There is either the action, the story, or the quality of the picture which it may be more important...
Else I prefer quite soft music genre: jazz, classic, some old electronic sort of music (Tangerine Dream "area"). Sometimes, I still listen with pleasure Jimi Hendrix as well...:D
However, my focus on this Oppo player it was and it is on its sound stage. But I want and I like/need to have on display the best possible quality picture too, especially for static pictures... At least a mixing, I suppose...:)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Some movies have the most magnificent composer music scores. The music is so integral to the emotional impact with the moving pictures that rivers of tears from joy are exceptionally rare to experience from stereo analog tapes (R2R). An image we see and one we are sure we imagine to be the right one aren't leveled on a same plane.

Coris, do you like multichannel music...from SACDs, DVD-Audios and Blu-rays? Do you have 'Apollo 13' on Blu-ray; it's in 5.1 lossless surround sound...the music score.

Oppo is coming up with couple UHD Blu-ray players...end of this year or so. Those will be another notch in overall superiority of picture quality.

I'm a big 'Tangerine Dream' fan; on LP, on CD and with movie soundtracks.

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Well, this (music genres, and sound perception experiences) discussion it may become quite out of topic, even though it could be interesting... I agree, about nice sound tracks in some movies. The sound in movie is there to increase the impact of image, and of the story/action itself. All this is about a composite art, movie art also (in the cases where is about art...).
Personally, I prefer to listen music undisturbed by something else, like watching pictures on a screen, pay attention to the movie`s action, and so on... Here is about personal ways to do or not to do one or another...
When about multichannel system, I do not feel this it may be something natural way to listen music. The listener is always placed having the sound sources coming mainly/always form the front. When you hear something coming from the back, you turn around to have it that in front of you. Isn`t it? When you sit down in a concert hall, you have the orchestre, the singers, or what ever in front of you, and you are never placed into the middle of the scene, hearing all the instruments/voices around you. Right? So, in my opinion, multichannel way to listen music is unnatural. Also the multichannel way of doing recordings is not that perfect to reveal all the fine details in a natural meaner. One have to transpose the surrounding reality into only max 8 channels, It should be necessary maybe 100 channels or more to recreate the fine detailed natural environment... Does not work!
One are missing a lot by multichannel way of listening, than by stereo one. Well, my point of view... Multichannel is best for films to create or complete the sound atmosphere, needed by the story of the film, the action and the environment, making all the most natural as possible. Here it works this about "natural" in a multichannel system. One hear the train, the cars or whatever, coming from the back, pass beside, or pass through... in the front side, or whatsoever direction. This is natural and it works well for films, or even for home made movies. Here is the biggest clue to use multichannel system. When to listen to the music the stereo way is the most natural one. At least the stereo generated sound space it may be better and the most natural, than the best mutichannel reproduction device. I only can not see the instruments and how it looks like the voices, but I have their very precise position in my stereo ambiance. I can hear if the voices it turn the head while singing in front of the microphone, and which direction...I can hear this in my stereo system (based on Oppo)... The most spectacular are the moving sounds sources in the stereo generated audio space (like in Tangerine dream so old recordings. They could do it that time with that technique...), moving in all directions (except up/down axes...), and so on. So, I do not need any multichannel approach to enjoy the music in the most human natural way possible...
It is true that multichannel approach it may give an impression of increasing resolution, definition of the sounds elements into space, but this is very far from the way the human perceive the sounds, and is used (by nature) to receive it. To conclude, and to shorter my OT contribution here, I prefer stereo.

Indeed, let`s see what Oppo may prepare for the next model. They for sure will use (at least they should) the soon coming next edition of the Sabre DAC chip. I`m actually very excited about this aspect, first of all. I do hope Oppo will still not use a fully linear power system in their new coming models, so I could further sell my LPMs...:D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thanks Coris for your feedback and beliefs in audio reproduction.
______

If I may: The goal of modifying the Oppo 105/105D BR player is to improve its sound, and video quality.
And music and movies are the kind of stuff it plays.
This is very on topic; it is so much so that any one billion dollars modification would amount to zero without music (stereo and multichannel) and movie soundtracks, plus picture quality.

I have never assisted to a classical music concert with full orchestra and opera singers in the best acoustic halls of the world.
So I'm not sure if the sound is coming only from the front sound stage.
One thing I have no science behind but that I truly love is sound immersion. The experience I have working in a hall theater when I was young as a technical sound/light assistant has no value; it probably is too old by now, and the new technologies today are way more advanced acoustically.
And my experience as a projectionist has probably even less merit; it wasn't measured with instrumentation when I was focusing the camera lens and adjusting/balancing the sound.
The audience was dead silent, not one complaint audio and picture wise in the venue. That, I gained with time, love, dedication.

Tanngerine Dream is excellent music envelopment. Pink Floyd too and many more Psychedelic music genres, and New Age/Wave.
Some stereo music is so enveloping all around that it has no need for surrounds.
But! Some multichannel music recordings, and movie soundtracks in surround (3.0, 4.0, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, ...11.2 ...) sure can be immensely fun in immersing one's sense of space and dimension. ...Like gravity and floating above earth.

For me sound exploration, audio gear, analog and digital, movies on Blu-ray, in 4K, in 3D, multichannel, acoustics, scale, imaging, holography, 4D, sound stage, width, depth, height, all that jazz is the passion that animates me on a higher ground from my three senses: Auditory, Visually and Emotionally.
It's like being entertained from a higher spiritual plane by some magic music recordings and attention to details in positioning and playing with various alternatives...like audio gear, tweaks, mods, etc. Anything that contributes in that goal is fair in my book, even the cables and wire materials and geometry.

Your modified Oppo 105/D is the ultimate audio messenger (source) to give a workout to all music and movie recording mediums.
Without music and films your mod 105 wouldn't even exist. It's main existence is to entertain you with those recordings, no matter their provenance, their physical or virtual properties/resolutions. ...The more care in the recordings the better the sound/picture experience in our rooms. ...In mono, stereo and multichannel.
________

I have no doubt that you created a golden audio sound reproducer better than in its standard composition.
And I appreciate you sharing with us. ...Measurements or not. :b The proof is in the pudding of listening and viewing of our own ears and eyes.
The words and pictures and few graphs that you share with us is your best testament.

I only have a standard Oppo 103, and lots and lots of material (hi-res music and hi-def movies) to play in it.
I use mainly the HDMI connections, and very little the USB connections and none headphones and rarely analog connections.
I can use bass management better that way and Room EQ as well, if I want to for my own sensory/immersive sound pleasure.
Yes, I learned to love, after careful positioning and simplicity, balanced acoustics in the listening room. ...My own personal audio journey.
It's not much, nothing compared to true dedicated audiophiles with the ultimate best audio pursuit into perfect nirvana...LIVE in the best world venues and by the best world performing musicians and opera singers. The closer we get the more there we are.
_________

*** Are you thinking of modifying more Oppo 105s for your friends? :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing