R.I.P. Mr Winston Ma

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Winston Ma copy.jpg

It is with deep sorrow and heavy heart that I post the news that Mr Winston Ma passed away peacefully on 24th May 2016. I will always remember him for his passion for music, his determination for perfection, and most of all his joy of life and generosity of spirit.

A funeral service will be held on Tuesday May 31st at 11:00 am.

Sunset Hills Funeral Home
1215 145th Place SE
Bellevue, WA
Tel: 425-746-1400​

I will always remember Winston with the legacy of music he has left behind.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
A great loss for all audiophiles. It was always a dream to visit him. Was he ill? RIP Winston

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Winston Ma Passing

I just received this sad note. Larry

Dear family and friends,

We write to you with deep sorrow.

The Ma family – Marina, Bobby, Kenny and Suzie -- must share with you the sad news that our beloved husband and father, Winston Kam Hong Ma, passed peacefully on the 24th of May, 2016.

His was a life of determination and joy and music. I hope you will always remember him that way.

A funeral service will be held on Tuesday May 31st at 11:00 am.

Sunset Hills Funeral Home
1215-145th Place SE
Bellevue, WA
Tel: 425-746-1400

Winston will be interred on June 2nd in Sunset Hills Memorial Park.

Sincerely,

Henry

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
A great loss for all audiophiles. It was always a dream to visit him. Was he ill? RIP Winston

Yes, Winston was diagnosed with a brain tumor several years ago and began to receive treatment which was quite difficult. He contacted me in early 2013 with the news and we began the Decca book project as a result (he said it was now or never.) Winston was very special. Larry

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
RIP Winston..... you will be forever missed. He took me under his wing when I was first starting out and I owe him greatly...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
It is a sad day indeed with the loss of Winston. My condolences go out to his family and audio fans around the globe. May he rest in eternal peace.

Tom

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Winston was a valued friend and a true gentleman. He showed me many kindnesses over the years. It's been sad with his declining health in recent years.

of course, in our hobby he was an iconic, highly respected figure. I have many of his recordings, and was even honored to once be involved in one of his projects.

RIP Winston. You will be missed.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sad news, indeed. Besides his famous recordings, I spent an enjoyable time following the articles in Positive Feedback about the building of his room and his sound philosophy. Googling his full name and music always returned something new to learn about our hobby. RIP.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I was familiar from my readings and articles about him, his music, his love for the music; a peaceful gentle music soul...may you rest comfy in heaven Winston.
I'll be joining you soon...I always wanted to meet you...I will, above the clouds and the skies...and we'll listen together to some of the greatest jazz singers and musicians, to some beautiful opera by the nicest female opera voices.
We'll fly and dance around the stars listening to the angel's songs.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
A great loss. His productions are the only albums I file by label rather than artist and genre.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hmmm, never thought about it that way but so do I. They are all in a separate bin kept away from the rest of the collection. "Top shelf" recordings, if you will.

Tom

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
A great loss. His productions are the only albums I file by label rather than artist and genre.

Me too! Those and Keith Johnson's Reference recordings are filed separately.
Winston was an individual who I never had the pleasure of meeting. The loss is mine.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very sad. I was fortunate to literally just find a copy of the great Decca project recordings and have only just begun to enjoy it. Many thanks for all the years of hard work which we may now enjoy in his honor.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
My sincere condolences to Winston Ma's family and friends.
May he rest in peace.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Me too! Those and Keith Johnson's Reference recordings are filed separately.
Winston was an individual who I never had the pleasure of meeting. The loss is mine.

Me three but not only by label , his label occupy the entire half of my top shelf

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
The news of Winston's passing is immensely sad and a huge loss for his family and the audiophile community....
My heartfelt condolences and prayers go out to his family and all that were close to him.

I had the fortunate opportunity to converse with Winston several times over the years and
have nearly all of his recordings, all in multiple versions including from XRCD up through his
UDC Gold Collector's editions and have alway found that they are among the best, if not the best
of anything on my shelves....he gave the world beautifully rendered music, laid down in as close
to perfect form as is humanly possible and always looked for new and better ways to perfect
his art.

RIP Winston,...your loss will be felt for years to come and your "Impression" on the audiophile
world was clearly, and beautifully made.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing