Allen Toussaint Bright Mississipi Opportunity

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Gentlemen's Barnes & Noble just announce on ebay several Allen Toussaint Bright Mississipi LP/CD 180g from 2009.

This LP used to be sold used on auctions by 150-250 dollars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Bright-...d&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=361572191491&rt=nc

Can be an opportunity for who wished that and never had courage to pay so much. Have a new version just released on 140g Vinyl, but I have not compared both.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
THANK YOU LUIZ... for posting this. It looks like Barnes & Noble found a box of these albums somewhere in their warehouse and is clearing them out. I bought a copy of this album back in 2009 and it is one of my favorite LPs, there is a cut on the first side that is outstanding material for measuring up a system. When my dealer came to setup my original Wilson Sashas, we listened to this after the speakers were dialed in. His comment after listening to that track was "damn, that was violent!"

The cut is classic N'Orlens style jazz, big band, with I think one of those giant drums used in marching band.

I just placed my order for two more copies—I want a spare and I want one to give as a gift.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Sometimes it pays to be patient! :p

So glad I did not pull the trigger awhile back.

Thank you!:D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
thanks for the recommendation...looking into the CD from Nonesuch!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Anyone able to comment on how well recorded/mastered this is? And further, if it might be worth looking for a remastered edition that [might] be better?

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
THANK YOU LUIZ... for posting this. It looks like Barnes & Noble found a box of these albums somewhere in their warehouse and is clearing them out. I bought a copy of this album back in 2009 and it is one of my favorite LPs, there is a cut on the first side that is outstanding material for measuring up a system. When my dealer came to setup my original Wilson Sashas, we listened to this after the speakers were dialed in. His comment after listening to that track was "damn, that was violent!"

The cut is classic N'Orlens style jazz, big band, with I think one of those giant drums used in marching band.

I just placed my order for two more copies—I want a spare and I want one to give as a gift.

Yes Bobvin, I have the original what I paid more than U$120,00 dollars. I just took another one for spare, I just hope do not be a mistake announce, how Barnes & Noble is a very big company I hope the announce to be correct. The announced version is for 2009 release what come with Vinyl and Cd inside. This version is Amazing ! Now is wait for arrival. You probably will receive first. So let us know if is the correct version.

Anyone able to comment on how well recorded/mastered this is? And further, if it might be worth looking for a remastered edition that [might] be better?

Hi Loyd !

Yes, this version is awesome, CD is great too, but vinyl is absolutely great. This version if is the correct 180g have a bonus CD inside. Is hard to imagine a better mastering version than this one. But have a 140g (http://www.elusivedisc.com/Allen-Toussaint-The-Bright-Mississippi-140g-2LP/productinfo/NONLP79827/) But this new version I still don't know. That original version I saw to be sold in Ebay by U$215,00. Now is wait to confirm if this is really the original version as announced. Enjoy !!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I have contacted Nonesuch a couple of times in the past and they have stated no interest in a remaster/new production run.
We will have to see if this sparks an interest from them

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks gents! Ordered (on CD since i'm a redbook only guy)!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
As I stated my expectation is that Barnes & Noble found a box of these in a store that was closing, or in the corner of a warehouse somewhere, which is why they're selling on eBay. There was a dozen available when I ordered two. There are none available on Amazon — if this was a repressing I would expect available though other channels.

If there was a remastering I personally would avoid it, it doesn't get better. Just listened to side one last night... The first cut, amazing dynamics. I'd love to hear it on a pair of Alexias like mine but with solid state gear like Dag, or at least with a ss amp with gobs of power just to see if I'm missing anything in the lowest octaves with my ARC Ref75. (And I am looking forward to my room getting done, curious to hear this once the room is behaving properly—or should I say when the room ins't misbehaving.) The second cut, 'dear old southland' has a woodwind, clarinet I think, that is simply haunting played in a duo with Toussant on piano (of course).

a

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Haunting would be the single word that draws me to this album next to the production. There is something very dark about this album.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Just received my two copies... They are not the same as the original release. Packaging is not a fold-over 2 sleeve jacket with CD inside, just two LPs in paper sleeves slid down into a 1 piece jacket. I put the vinyl on my table briefly and noted the slightest of warp—not bad considering they sat in a UPS trailer all weekend and temps here were near 100F over the weekend.

I'll report on sonics later.

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry if it is not the original version, the announce was for a LP and CD and 2009. The only one LP version before this new one was the 2009 LP 180G with CD inside. Have a new version in 140G without CD.

Maybe if not satisfied should be possible send it back. I bought 2 units too, but how I'm in Brazil it will take a long time to arrive. I Have the original one too.

The recording quality of this work is Great in CD and on the original LP

Best Regards
Luiz

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
No worries I am keeping mine, but I did contact B&N through my ebay auction and question the deceptiveness of their listing as it says 3 discs, 2LP's and a CD.
Told them they are using the original version listing and not the new one.
Oh and could I have my CD please.
I encourage others to do the same and lets see if they will kick down.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
No worries I am keeping mine, but I did contact B&N through my ebay auction and question the deceptiveness of their listing as it says 3 discs, 2LP's and a CD.
Told them they are using the original version listing and not the new one.
Oh and could I have my CD please.
I encourage others to do the same and lets see if they will kick down.

I took your advice and did the same

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Listening to it now...fun album so far.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing