How to decrease zoom size for lower picture resolution?

lateboomer

Oct 22, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
I am using Vivitek home theater projector. The projector can only zoom larger but not smaller. If the picture resolution from my local cable tv is lower and my projector screen is 150" which is too large, how do I zoom the projected screen to smaller size to compensate lower resolution? If I watch blu ray ultra hd disc, the picture resolution for 150" screen is no problem.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Moving the projector closer to the screen is the only thing I can think of. :(

lateboomer

Oct 22, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
That is what I can think of also. I have heard others suggest use aspect ratio 3:4 to watch movie, which is slightly smaller. Currently, I am using 16:9 aspect ratio to watch movie. Thank you.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If your projector has a manual zoom and a moving optical block, perhaps you can override the zoom stop and unscrew the optical group a little further. But then you still have the question of knowing if the focusing range is enough to focus properly.

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
1. If cable is SD, upgrade cable to HD.
2. Use a TV for cable TV
3. Move the projector closer to the screen so that it's zoom range goes from your 150" screen to 75".
4. Don't watch cable TV.
5. Buy a new projector with suitable zoom range.
6. Live with a poor quality image on occasion.

If you have a ceiling mounted projector, projector with a motorized zoom lens and lens position memories would quickly become a must-have.

lateboomer

Oct 22, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
My projector is ceiling mounted and cable is SD, some channels are HD. Motorized zoom lens is a good idea, either the motorized part is DIY work. Do you know what what zoom lens to get to scale down to around 85", if the original largest size is 130"? :)

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My projector is ceiling mounted and cable is SD, some channels are HD. Motorized zoom lens is a good idea, either the motorized part is DIY work. Do you know what what zoom lens to get to scale down to around 85", if the original largest size is 130"? :)

I doubt that your projector allows interchangeable lenses. Best to explore other options...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing