Clapton - I Still Do

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
it arrived today and I'm listening to side 1 right now. the record sleeves have multiple pictures of a Studer A800 multi-track 2" analog 24 track and an Ampex ATR-102 2-track (cannot tell 1/4" or 1/2" for sure from the pictures) tape deck.

the sound is big, meaty, and alive. it does sound like an analog recording to my ears. close mic'd. so far so good. nice honest recording.

Clapton, Blues, Guitars, Analog Tape. how far wrong can you go?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
it arrived today and I'm listening to side 1 right now. the record sleeves have multiple pictures of a Studer A800 multi-track 2" analog 24 track tape deck. the sound is big, meaty, and alive.

it does sound like an analog recording to my ears. close mic'd. so far so good. nice honest recording.

Clapton, Blues, Guitars, Analog Tape. how far wrong can you go?

It's nice when one of the all time greats still releases a record now a days. It is a big and bold recording. Ludwig mastered, Grundman vinyl mastering.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
if someone wanted to understand how an analog recording differed from a digital recording this might be a good one to hear. there is such a palpability to all the vocals and instruments. and it's earthy music.

side 2 is very fine too. love cut #2 on side 2......'Catch the Blues'.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
if someone wanted to understand how an analog recording differed from a digital recording this might be a good one to hear. there is such a palpability to all the vocals and instruments. and it's earthy music.

side 2 is very fine too. love cut #2 on side 2......'Catch the Blues'.
Not a Clapton fan but wanted to hear it after great reviews of the LP and the fact the digital file was also a BG master.
I downloaded the 24/192 from Qobuz but to my ears there is distortion on Eric's voice especially on the first track.
Not sure anyone else hears this as I couldn't see any other reports on the forums.
Wonder if this was a deliberate act to highlight the LP superiority.
Blue58

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing