Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Review: Reference 3A MM de Capo BE monitors

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! MadFloyd's Avatar
    Wow, great review, Al!

I was at Al's this past Saturday and it was my 2nd time hearing his new speakers (the first time was just after he purchased them). They have opened up since the last time and I think Al has dialed them in a bit more. It is uncanny the value of these speakers.
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods Amplification: CAT JL7s, CAT Legend, CH Precision P1
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / SCPS-1 / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon / dCS Upsampler / Schiit Yggdrasil DAC
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna cables / Shunyata Denali 6000T, Sigma Zitron PC's / Furutech outlets
    Misc: Steve Blinn Designs rack & amp stands

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Wow, great review, Al!
    Thanks, Ian.

They have opened up since the last time and I think Al has dialed them in a bit more.
    Yes on both counts.

It is uncanny the value of these speakers.
    You said it!

As I also alluded to in the introductory part of my review, your superb system as a reference has helped guide me in the right direction.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    In my original review above I stated:

"As for some benchmarks for the finest timbral resolution, the full breathy richness of saxophone timbre, or the micro-vibrations on the strings during smooth playing of solo violin, I am unable at this time to report on the capabilities of the Reference 3A monitors. The reason is that my digital playback probably cannot provide such resolution."

Due to improvements of my system that have happened in the meantime, I am now able to report on the finer aspects of timbral resolution that the speakers are capable of. The most important step towards good micro-resolution of timbre consisted, believe it or not, in the cleaning of all my cable connections with DeOxit Gold last year (without at that time changing the digital playback). Further improvements came by switching to ZenWave Audio cables (D4 interconnects and SMSG speaker cables), and by upgrading from the Berkeley Alpha 2 DAC to a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC (for the latest system upgrades, see here).

It turns out that the Reference 3A MM de Capo BE monitors are capable of rather excellent resolution of timbre. With the right recordings, the micro-detail in the sound of solo violin can be quite astounding. Also the breathiness of some saxophone playing is rendered in a realistic manner. Once more, the speakers convince with an amazing performance especially given their, in current high-end terms, very modest price. Yet of course, they still exhibit a number of shortcomings compared to substantially more expensive speakers.

________

PS: A slight correction of my review: the mid-woofer is 8 inches in diameter, rather than the 7 inches originally specified.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12