Krell KRC-3 Pre-Amplifier

May 22, 2016
Hi to all..!
I purchased a used KAV500 power amp
with the intention of bridging 4 channels into 2
so for hifi sound quality and not home theater
1. now seeking out a Preamp; Krell KRC-3
2. the amp was sold without the bridging; so how do I get a hold of replacements; DIY perhaps; any instructions would be great..?
Thanks for the time taken to read my stuff...!
Oh! I use my ARCAM A32 as a preamp at the moment.
Reason for the KAV500 monster - well the Focal Profile 918's have a rather harsh sounding tweeter.
Seems that the verdict is that they require a brute of an amp so hence my intention of doubling the power into them.
Perhaps upgrading to Dynaudio Focus or Contour's in the future.

I previously owned a Krell KRC-3 preamp, and while it's exceptionally well built it was never a favorite of mine and was quickly sold. It's dynamic as you would expect but also very dry sounding in the mids and highs which I believe would be a poor match for your Focal speakers which you describe as having a rather harsh sounding tweeter. I would strongly suggest an audition of the KRC-3 in your system before buying it or you may regret it. Good luck in whatever you choose and I hope it works out well for you!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing