Finally a Counterpoint Forum

jpv

Nov 18, 2010
Indianapolis, Indiana
I have been searching for one for a long time. Thanks for starting one. I could only find one from Japan. Google translator makes it very hard to read.

I have a SA-7 pre and a SA-12 amp. My other equipment is a VPI Scoutmaster with a Grado Sonata1 cart. ProAc Tabeletts two M&K subs. and lots of room treatment. I use a rh labs x-over to limit the proac at about 125Hz and above.

The SA-7 being the lowend of the line I thinks is still a great pre. I send it to Mike and had the line stage upgrade, part of the phono (Caps only), Volume control changed, Balance bypassed, RCA jacks on the phono and out changed. I have to say it is a fantastic sounding pre amp now.
A lot of people don't think it's worth the effort and money by for the 600.00 I spent on the changes I doubt you could do better. I compared it to a hagerman Trumpet and the SA7 was better in alot of ways. The Hagerman was more dynamic, but the SA-7 was quieter, more detail came thru, etc.
How it sounds against anything else I don't know.

The SA-12 was upgraded to the NP-100. Again this amp is just fantastic.
I have had zero problems with either piece and plan on keeping them.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
jpv-glad to see you found us. My first tube preamp was the SA-7.1 and for the money, it was very good. Sometimes I see 3.1 preamps going for under $400 and that my friend is a steal. The 3.1 is a better sounding preamp than the 7.1, but neither is close to the 5.1.

Mark

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I had the 7.1 too long ago, and if the upgrade helped making it more quiet and reliable, specially the volume pots, then I can believe that it truly can be a wonderful sounding pre-amp. This is what a tube pre amp should sound like, lush, full bodied and highly intoxicating. I don't mind if that is called 'coloration', but I listened to it without fatigue during my listening sessions with it.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I always lusted for a Counterpoint pre/power combination - but never had the chance to own one, a friend down here still owns an early production of a tubed based preamp with phono steage ( just can't remember the model ) - it is a black faceplate with silver knobs - sounds great for the money and still serves him as an important component at his Snell-based system.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I bought my 7.1 brand new and other than having a tendenancy for being microphonic, I never had a problem with it. The SA-12 was a very sweet amp and I actually liked its sound better than its big brother, the SA-220.

jpv

Nov 18, 2010
Indianapolis, Indiana
I only had problems with microphonic tubes with only certain tubes. I don't think it was a problem with the SA 7 just the tube. I never played with tubes that much. I did last year come across a lot of tubes and have been swapping them in and out. I like Telefunken (sp) in the phono and Semans (sp) in the line stage.
Has anyone here done the transformer upgrade or anyothers?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
JPV-I have had my SA-2 power transformer replaced with the Plitron. My SA-5.1 has had the line stage and phono stage rebuilt along with replacing all of the RCA connectors and bypass of the balance controls. My 5.1 is currently back at Alta Vista to have the power supply rebuilt including replacement of the power transformer with the Plitron. I am also having the volume control replaced with the DACT. The umbilical cord from the power supply to the preamp is also being replaced with a new one built from Cardas wire. Also, one set of my record out jacks has been rewired by Mike as a second set of main outs.

mep

jpv

Nov 18, 2010
Indianapolis, Indiana
mep,
when my pre was being upgraded it took Alta Vista over 2 months to have it done. his service tech go sick and it got lost in the system. When it did return just about everything inside was changed. I don't know if that was just a normal upgraded or they put in extra because it took so long. I want to do the complete phono and tranformer upgrade. judging by my equipment you can probably tell I keep my stuff forever.
When you had the transformer replaced what did you notice diff to the sound? I guess it was positive or you wouldn't be having your SA 5 upgraded.

John

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John,
I had to have the transformer replaced in the SA-2 because the original one crapped out. The new transformer was much bigger than the original SA-2 transformer so Mike had to use a new enclosure for the outboard transformer which I was highly impressed with. Honestly, I can't tell you if I think the new transformer sounds better than the original. The amount of time between when the SA-2 broke and I received it back negated any quick comparisons. The main reason I am having the Plitron installed in my SA-5.1 is that I am having the rest of the power supply upgraded and I want to make sure the preamp is going to be trouble free for at least another 15 years or so (as much as that is ever possible). The original transformer was running very hot and I figured it was just a matter of time before it crapped out. If it sounds better than the original transformer, that will be a bonus of course. I am doing it mainly for preventative maintenance.

Mark

RevelMann

Jan 14, 2013
I’m a happy owner of Counterpoint SA4/9/11, spent over 8 years to complete my search :)

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
Good gracious...Counterpoint; I have not heard that name for years. I the dim and distant past i had an SA-12 preamp. A humungous beast with servo motors driving the knobs through a remote and about 22 tubes. It was bloody complicated and was partnered with a SA-9 phono stage, again with about 22 tubes!. So over 40 tubes to play with. The line stage and the SA-4 OTL's were replaced by a set of Jadis 500's and JP80 but i kept the phono. When Mike Elliott left ther company he offered upgrades to many of the products so I had the phono upgraded. finally sold it and replaced it with an SA-9 Magnum Opus, ME's cost no object phono. It was, for many, the finest phono you could buy......I replaced this with a Vendetta Research 2b. Happy days!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing