Turntable......Stick Or Twist?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Hmmmmmm don't know:confused: I have an virtually Brand new, in bearing revolutions terms, Technics SL1000 MKII, complete with origional box http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-SL-1000MK2.html

Mothballed, motor run once a year, then back in mothball, quandary.......Give vinyl another shot! Or sell it in order to fund a new, sit on butt with remote, digital front end? Hmmmmmmm.

Open to Opinions Folks.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You want to stay fit as you get older, turning that vinyl over? Stick.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Set up the turntable -- and use it!

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
That's a direct-drive with a separate power supply: it is really special hardware for that category IMO.

You have a few options:

- sell it since you're apparently not too fond of vinyl (if you were, you'd be listening to that turntable, I'm assuming)

- mod it first, listen to it, especially through a good Tube RIAA+Phono pre-amp + Single-Ended Tube Amp + appropriate high-efficiency speakers

- sell it after modding it (so long as you don't mess it up, otherwise it's best to sell it as is)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Get it up and running, Roger. Also get a KLaudio or Audio Desk Systeme and revitalise your collection. I think you might enjoy it :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Perhaps you can get a good plinth and a better tonearm and sell the obsidian plinth and EPA 100 to collectors. They pay high values for them at eBay!

IMHO the obsidian plinth is really the weak link of the SL1000 system. I have once bought it and was really disappointed with the performance.

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Thank you for your considerations gentlemen, there does exist an interesting adjunct to option No1, in that funds accrued from the sale of the complete SL-1000 MKII may become the seed bank to acquire something a little more "exotic" along the lines of an Kronos or Airforce III perhaps !?!??!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you for your considerations gentlemen, there does exist an interesting adjunct to option No1, in that funds accrued from the sale of the complete SL-1000 MKII may become the seed bank to acquire something a little more "exotic" along the lines of an Kronos or Airforce III perhaps !?!??!

Oooh - now you are talking! I would think you are looking at Airforce II vs Kronos in terms of that money. You'll also "need" ARC ref III se phono stage ;)

Please can I have an invite if either of those are acquired :)

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Oooh - now you are talking! I would think you are looking at Airforce II vs Kronos in terms of that money. You'll also "need" ARC ref III se phono stage ;)

Please can I have an invite if either of those are acquired :)

Oh! It's not my intent to play vinyl Bill, purely for show :D

I might arrange a demo of the very same combinations, KJ having both decks, the ARC Ref3, and CLX's

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
With your vivaldi budget you could get a deck set up, a Lampi and a few records ;)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Oh! It's not my intent to play vinyl Bill, purely for show :D

I might arrange a demo of the very same combinations, KJ having both decks, the ARC Ref3, and CLX's

That will be awesome. I guess Kj can pretty much assemble your exact system in their listening room as they do all your gear. Will be really interesting if they mount the same cartridge on both decks too.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
That will be awesome. I guess Kj can pretty much assemble your exact system in their listening room as they do all your gear. Will be really interesting if they mount the same cartridge on both decks too.

Btw. Be prepared to part with your dosh - that front end (either deck) with ARC ref 3 will be very special. What cart though? I think a full blooded Koetsu Coralstone for you.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Btw. Be prepared to part with your dosh - that front end (either deck) with ARC ref 3 will be very special. What cart though? I think a full blooded Koetsu Coralstone for you.

Rather perspicacious of you Bill ;) In a previous audiophile existence, where I could be bothered with all that Vinyl FaF! I had a marked preference for the "Lush" over the "Annilitical" , SPU's, Koetsu's , Some Decca MI's, and the like.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wasn't Decca unlike koetsu? Some consider it the best, bit thought it was more like a better ortofon

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing