I'm Not Gonna Tell How Great My MicroRendu plus Sonore Signature Power Supply Sounds!

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
Because you folks will argue, argue and this 3rd MicroRendu thread will be closed, too!

Reminds of the old AVS Forum and why Steve Williams started this forum in the first place, to avoid that type of arguing and crapola.

My Microrendu using my previous HDPlex 100 watt power supply, 9vdc output (came with my CAPSv4 Pipeline, you can buy one direct from HDPlex with adjustable down to 7.5vdc output)
sounded appreciably better than my CAPSv4! Just put in the Sonore Signature Power Supply, still burn-in in, but already sounds better!

The Microrendu is speced for 6 - 9 vdc. The Sonore Signature Power Supply is 7vdc, which Sonore in their testing for their Microrendu found as their sweet spot. With the HDPlex at 9 vdc, Microrendu got quite hot.
With Sonore at 7 vdc, its barely warm!

But please ignore what I said above because no one at this forum apparently cares how it sounds, folks would rather get into fights and argue "technicalities"!:eek:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
To the contrary, Steve, we are interested in your opinion. We have been engaged in an on-going battle about the issues you cite, but we must not stop posting personal observations. Please tell us more about your impressions of the device, both positive and negative.

Lee

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
I am as well Steve.

I just read that there is a Roon server streamer with MicroRendu

Yes. Small Green Computer sells it, 8TB, for $1,575

I have used a laptop, Bryston BDP-1 (5), CAPSv3 (4), CAPSv4 (2) , even an Aurender (3), and now Microrendu (1), with each having different sonics. I have rated the sonics over the past several years in my system for stereo, with (1) being the best, (5) being the "worst". The Bryston was digital out, all the rest were USB out using the Berkeley Audio USB to digital converter.

The MicroRendu is the real thing!!@@

Main Roon program runs on my CAPSv3, which I also use for multi-channel over HDMI with JRiver Media Center. MicroRendu is Roon ready and does the sample rate/bit rate conversion and outputs audio via USB - to my Berkeley Audio USB to digital output, which goes to my Theta CBIV SSP out digital to my Theta Digital Generation VIII Series 3 DAC, for stereo!

Microrendu (Roon Ready) $640.00
http://microjukebox.com/products/microrendu
with iFi power supply $690.00 (Sonore)
http://www.microrendu.sonore.us/
or add Sonore Signature Power Supply $1,399.00; $1,589.00 with Synergistic Research black fuses
http://rendu.sonore.us/signature-series-power-supply.html
or add HDPlex power supplu using 7.5 vdc output $395.00
http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-Fanless-Linear-Power-Supply-for-PC-Audio-and-CE-device.html

Sonic Transporter AP 8TM (Roon Server) $1,575.00
http://microjukebox.com/products/sonictransporter-ap-8tb-roon-server
(music server Steve Williams mentioned, which will run programs like the main Roon)

(If I was doing a completely new two channel music server system, I would consider getting the Sonic Transporter AP 8TM. But I already have a Western Digital WDMyCloudEX4 - 16 TB - using my multi-channel CAPSv3 Zuma
to run the main Roon program.)

In one of the closed Microrendu threads here, Amir agreed that lower power usage should in theory provide lower electrical noise, and thus the theory goes better sonics. This, and theory that ethernet in only
provides for better isolation and less noise (I ain't no spankin' engineer, so I ain't promising I am explaining this correctly, my objective style is perhaps more "Trumpian". HA!), is why Andrew Gillis of Small Green Computer was so interested in being involved with this Microrendu project with both John Swenson and Sonore.

Amir's theory (which I respect) that using a top notch USB to digital converter obviates any difference in sonics in the downstream computer/music server is clearly not proven with subjective listening in my own system.
I think objectivity is important, but not everything, and of course if objectivity tells you one thing and your ear/brain/sonics over time tell you something else, then perhaps the objective theory may be flawed!

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I can't wait till I get mine.

I also have a server that started its life as CAPS v4, but is now heavily modified (battery PSU for the SSD, different USB card, linear full ATX PSU etc) which pushed its performance to a whole different level.

I wonder if uRednu can beat it.

I have UpTone JS-2 PSU, ifi PSU, and Teddy Pardo 9V PSU to try. I will also order the new UpTone audio PSU/regulator when it becomes available.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I think objectivity is important, but not everything, and of course if objectivity tells you one thing and your ear/brain/sonics over time tell you something else, then perhaps the objective theory may be flawed!

Well stated ... time and experience being of key importance; when one has lived with said product for a long period of time, w/many comparisons along that journey, only to be told repeatedly that your "method" of observation lacks the necessary objectivity; its dismissive, as if being told to trash all past experiences as unworthy of consideration.

When both camps continually throw stones from very opposing ends of the field and neither has the range ... I suggest not sitting at the 50 yard line.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
It looks like there will be two more solid 'disconnected' power supplies to choose from to power the Sonore microRendu:

- The Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1

- The Vinnie Rossi forthcoming power supply based on ultra-capacitors too

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
My days of detailed comprehensive online component evaluations are done - too lazy, now I post a bit but mostly I let myself enjoy. However, I will say that I was startled by the sonic improvement from using the HDPlex at 9 vdc and the Sonore Signature at 7 vdc. Using the HDplex with the Microrendu was quite an improvement over my CAPSv4 Pipeline (using a Berkeley Audio USB to digital converter, to Theta Digital Casablanca IV SSP digital out to Generation VIII Series 3 DAC, with Aerial Acoustics 7ts and two JL Audio f212 subwoofers, with Theta CBIV using Dirac Live as well). But changing the power supply to the Sonore was far more breathtaking, on all sorts of music that I played! Voices became ethereal, present in the room totally separate from the instrumentals. I could feel the various jazz players & instruments right in front of me. Now I don't have the time or patience to try out other power supplies - so I can't tell you how they sound. I can't imagine how any other power supply could sound better - that's how good it sounds now, or shall I say midnite last night with only 12 hours break in (using XLO Reference Recordings Test Disc tracks). Note that the HDPlex power supply, from my CAPSv4, output 9 vdc and the Microrendu was on the bottom end of hot, not too hot too hold. With the Sonore power supply, the Microrendu is not even warm. And the Sonore power supply itself is not even warm. And shame on me, I have some extra old tweaks lying around, so I placed the Sonore power supply on a set of Symposium Rollerblocks, on top of a Symposium Svelte Shelf. Oh - I have not in the past used audiophile fuses, but this time, I went ahead and paid extra for the Synergistic Research black fuses (2) which is an option on the Sonore website. Interesting is that after about 3 hours break-in I really liked the Sonics but noted that the system just didn't seem to sound as well or handle the audio as well when I really started to turn up the volume (I have a large theater room, 25' X 18' X 12' high, with Michael Greene Pressure Zone Controllers for acoustics treatments) - but 9 hours later, midnite last nite, the audio/system was purring along and sounded phenomenal regardless of volume level - not unusual, I've experienced the burn-in phenomena many times over the years.
Also, when I set up the new power supply yesterday, I took out the .8M Curious Cable, and just got and inserted the short Curious Cable Regen Link - so the cable and power supply are burning in!

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
I have purchased two CAPS music servers from Andrew Gillis, Small Green Computer, previously, and the CAPSv3 was modded somewhat and I got to know Andrew quite well in doing this. I had chatted with Andrew a month or two before the microrendu became available, and he emailed me and other customers so we could early order! HA!

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
- but 9 hours later, midnite last nite, the audio/system was purring along and sounded phenomenal regardless of volume level - not unusual, I've experienced the burn-in phenomena many times over the years.

At night, it could also be the smaller seismic-induced vibrations (c.f. Townshend).

Thanks for sharing your listening impressions.

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
At night, it could also be the smaller seismic-induced vibrations (c.f. Townshend).

Thanks for sharing your listening impressions.

The only seismic vibrations were in the prior Microrendu threads here that are CLOSED due to misbehavior of the smart A_S children here!:p

Seriously, I must have been stoned last night, it couldn't possibly sound that fantastic!!!@@@ (I was not)

bplexico

Mar 28, 2011
Wonderful sounding device, were it not for Devialet releasing AIR3 in the past two weeks I would still have mine. As fate would have it, AIR 3 offered equal audio quality to the microRendu.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
The Sonic Transporter is $375. Without storage. That the one I ordered.

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
Here's some info from Jesus, of Sonore, from the Sonore subforum at Computer Audiophile Forum:

OK, first of all, I cannot specifically say that the Signature Supply (henceforth SPS) is superior to say, the JS-2 or the LPS-1. I do not have a JS-2, and the LPS-1 does not yet really exist. It is quite likely that the JS-2 would work very well with the µRendu, but it would be best if the JS-2 was solely powering the µRendu alone, as a dedicated supply is always going to have a technical advantage to a shared supply (shared transformer in this case). As to why the SPS is so good, that is pretty easy. The SPS is designed specifically to provide an ultra low noise, and ultra low impedance supply for the µRendu. It is designed to be able to provide plenty of peak current, giving it generous headroom. And it is designed to meet the ideal power requirements of the µRendu according to John Swenson: low impedance delivery, the ability to handle all kinds of transients with fast response and settling. In addition, and unlike some of the other supplies mentioned here, the SPS also offers the lowest noise possible from a regulated supply, by using an ideal, custom, discrete regulator. I know John believes that super low noise is not necessarily a requirement for the µRendu power supply, and I understand his point, as he already uses quite low noise local regulators onboard the µRendu. But my experience has always been that even with very low noise local regs, a low noise pre-regulated supply still brings benefits when powering digital circuits. So, with the SPS we have an ultra low impedance (to handle transient loads) and ultra low noise supply, with plenty of current capability. How we do this is just pretty standard stuff, well chosen parts, a damped transformer secondary to keep ringing to a minimum, a bit of filtering on the incoming AC line, large amounts of main supply filter capacitance, and a really, really good discrete regulator. A bit of a note on the price of the SPS: this is high quality audio product, with many parts sourced from the US, including a very nice aluminum chassis, and a custom made DC cable produced for us by Cardas, and it is hand built to order. While we might be able to achieve similar performance with a much cheaper chassis, at a bit lower price point, we made the SPS to be high quality inside and out, and so we put it in beautiful custom chassis of heavy gauge aluminum, rather than some off the shelf box made in China.

It really is not anything spectacular to look at internally, there is a toroid transformer on one side, a very small pcb on the front panel holding the status LED and its resistor and capacitor, and the main power power supply PCB with the main filter capacitors, diodes, and a few small damping and decoupling film caps, and the heatsink mounted regulator and output capacitor. There is quite a bit of space in the middle of the chassis so that the transformer and AC input wiring can be spaced away from the output board. Then there is the input IEC with filter capacitor, switch and fuses on the transformer side, and a Neutrik Powercon jack on the power supply board side with the output wiring. I would rather not talk about specific part choices, as these are both proprietary and subject to change, occasionally.

Well I am certainly impressed, objectively and most importantly sonically! The Sonore Signature Power Supply is so well built and easy to look at! More importantly, the sonics using this power supply with the Microrendu are unparalled! I feel like the gal singin' or the band playin' is right in the room with me! Amazing! Congrats on phenomenal products, the Microrendu and the Sonore Signature Power Supply. In my case, I decided to get it with the Synergistic Research black fuses (2) (product just became available a few months ago), for which Sonore is also a dealer.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Shhh, don't mention the MicroRendu :)

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I gather we're not going to mention the forthcoming Uptone Audio UltraCap(TM) LPS-1 or the forthcoming Vinnie Rossi ultracapacitor-based power supplies which both can also be used to power the Sonore microRendu.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
I gather we're not going to mention the forthcoming Uptone Audio UltraCap(TM) LPS-1 or the forthcoming Vinnie Rossi ultracapacitor-based power supplies which both can also be used to power the Sonore microRendu.

Yea, anything that isn't proven by AES is verboten to some

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010

We're simply not gonna mention this thread, the Microrendu or various power supplies Right now I'm listening to Linn Records "Applewood Road" country folk by group of the same name Emily Barker, Amber Rubarth & Amy Speace! I am in heaven!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing