I'm Not Gonna Tell How Great My MicroRendu plus Sonore Signature Power Supply Sounds!

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
And the latest update from AMR was posted earlier today with graphs, ohhhh graphs, what joy & the pitfalls of ground connections & how they affect measurements
And this summary which Amir took exception to - he doesn't realise that this is exactly what Thorsten intended :)

"Rehash to those in the know
This not ‘new news’ to those skilled in the electronic arts, but challenging to those who lack the necessary background and experience. There is no substitute for an EE degree AND decades of practice.

Further, measuring noise below 10uV (0.00001V) using common gear requires extreme care. We know of many setups that are useless below 1mV (0.001V) because of inherent and unresolved (and oft unrecognised) problems.

Synopsis:
The limitations of test gear are never covered in the user manual and it takes knowledge + experience to spot ‘false positive’ results. Care, care and more setup care is even more crucial than having expensive equipment to obtain the true, accurate and informed measurements.

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015
And the latest update from AMR was posted earlier today with graphs, ohhhh graphs, what joy & the pitfalls of ground connections & how they affect measurements
And this summary which Amir took exception to - he doesn't realise that this is exactly what Thorsten intended :)
He is a very sad individual. Basically the blind leading the deaf, dumb and blind.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
He is a very sad individual. Basically the blind leading the deaf, dumb and blind.

You get blamed too Bob :)

Some outlandish & hilarious statements from Amir's desperate attempts to hide his misunderstandings & flawed measurements based on his strawman premise of the workings of the uRendu:
- according to him Yashn, Bob & I are responsible for Amir having to do his flawed measurements - apparently we are the reason Amir doesn't understand what Swenson meant by ""The microRendu produces a very clean USB signal to the DAC, which seems to produce lower noise levels in the DAC. The exact mechanism for this is not well understood at this time. The lower noise in the DAC allows the DAC circuit to operate at its peak performance. "
Apparently, according to Amir "Of course I decided to test this gear based on constant promotion of this device by the few of you. No matter how much I tried to explain that you should not be in this wishful mood, you all went on anyway. So I thought to bring some hard data to the discussion. That is what has happened." So take a bow, guys you forced Amir into spending $700 - I think we should have a whip around & refund him, don't you?

- this is nearly as hilarious as him blaming Swenson for not understanding how Asynch USB works :)
- according to him I'm "to blame" for the number of uRendu units sold :) - Jeez I must write to Jesus @ Sonore to get my cut - hilarious :)

It just gets more & more outlandish

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang

As one of the personae non-grata over there I'm feeling a bit left out that I couldn't share some of the tar and feathers... Surely in all my hundreds of posts there I must have something to be blamed for in this whole affair? Perhaps Amir didn't look hard enough?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hehe, your optimism is naive, I'm afraid - it's a permanent ban - they just don't accept peer review or alternative viewpoints/opinions.
I have to say that thread was fun though - pity they don't allow open discussions?

Some outlandish & hilarious statements from Amir desperate attempts to hide his misunderstandings & strawman measurements :
- according to him Yashn, Bob & I are responsible for Amir having to do his flawed measurements - apparently we are the reason Amir doesn't understand what Swenson meant by ""The microRendu produces a very clean USB signal to the DAC, which seems to produce lower noise levels in the DAC. The exact mechanism for this is not well understood at this time. The lower noise in the DAC allows the DAC circuit to operate at its peak performance. "
Apparently, according to Amir "Of course I decided to test this gear based on constant promotion of this device by the few of you. No matter how much I tried to explain that you should not be in this wishful mood, you all went on anyway. So I thought to bring some hard data to the discussion. That is what has happened." So take a bow, guys you forced Amir into spending $700 - I think we should have a whip around & refund him, don't you?

- this is nearly as hilarious as him blaming Swenson for not understanding how Asynch USB works :)
- according to him I'm "to blame" for the number of uRendu units sold :) - Jeez I must write to Jesus @ Sonore to get my cut - hilarious :)

I think your mind is extrapolating a little too much John.
No way that Amir thinks you have some to do with uRendu number of units sold.
And I'm not in the clan of "you"; I'm in my own free zone.

Anyway, I'm all in for the engaged discussion between Amir and you. I followed it, made couple comments regarding some interventions by couple other members, because they weren't on topic with the post content but with the poster, you. I deleted couple of my own posts, and I'm going to delete one or two more; because I too wasn't with the topic. ...And even if I was very polite. I stopped reading after a while to attend other matters in order to expand my knowledge. :b

And no matter what, the MicroRendu is certainly making the news and the sales. ...Measurements or not; the majority of people measure with their ears. ...And ears are directly related to another part of the human anatomy. It's great to be free, it's great to be me, it's great to be alive, today.

“Swifter, higher, stronger.” - Pierre de Coubertin quote

“Music must be the heritage of all men/women/children and of all social classes.”

BobShermanEsq

Sep 28, 2015

Some outlandish & hilarious statements from Amir's desperate attempts to hide his misunderstandings & flawed measurements based on his strawman premise of the workings of the uRendu:

Yes I have been reading all the foolishness, it is so misguided and rather funny. Let them enjoy themselves. most people will just ignore his silly little measurements realizing he has no real standing or credibility. Even Blizz one of his best buddies knows he is totally wrong and tried pointing it out to him.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
I think your mind is extrapolating a little too much John.
No way that Amir thinks you have some to do with uRendu number of units sold.
I was talking tongue in cheek but what do you make of this statement of his "A lot of people have been led this path. Their subjective evaluations were tainted by assumption of reduced noise. And the few cheerleaders like you are a big part of this blame John." :)

And I'm not in the clan of "you"; I'm in my own free zone.

Anyway, I'm all in for the engaged discussion between Amir and you. I followed it, made couple comments regarding some interventions by couple other members, because they weren't on topic with the post content but with the poster, you. I deleted couple of my own posts, and I'm going to delete one or two more; because I too wasn't with the topic. ...And even if I was very polite. I stopped reading after a while to attend other matters in order to expand my knowledge. :b

And no matter what, the MicroRendu is certainly making the news and the sales. ...Measurements or not; the majority of people measure with their ears. ...And ears are directly related to another part of the human anatomy. It's great to be free, it's great to be me, it's great to be alive, today.

“Swifter, higher, stronger.” - Pierre de Coubertin quote

“Music must be the heritage of all men/women/children and of all social classes.”
Keep on keeping on, Tim

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

I never forced anyone to make measurements :p

Furthermore, it isn't true that 'The exact mechanism for this is not well understood at this time.'

The explanation has already been given in great detail by Swenson over at CA :D

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
As one of the personae non-grata over there I'm feeling a bit left out that I couldn't share some of the tar and feathers... Surely in all my hundreds of posts there I must have something to be blamed for in this whole affair? Perhaps Amir didn't look hard enough?

Well, were you 'promoting' the device in any way? :p

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Not directly but I have 'liked' some of jkeny's posts in that thread. Doesn't that count, can't I have some of the blame, pretty please?

Yea, I blame you - the first place I heard about noise floor modulation was from you - this is what finally flipped that thread - as Blumlein 88 says

"Another one of those you can't measure it but you hear it effects. How do you design for these and how would know your design was effective?

Also how can you criticize measures of something you can't measure?

And why can you not measure this? Use signals of different levels and see how the noise floor varies. That actually is an area I intend to investigate when I have time."

Funny how they are always INTENDING to do this measurement but never get a round tuit?

You can hear the dilemma that faces this mindset, can't you? It's just an untenable situation for them!

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
I never forced anyone to make measurements :p
In the true spirit of the pantomime that is that thread "Oh yes you did"

Furthermore, it isn't true that 'The exact mechanism for this is not well understood at this time.'

The explanation has already been given in great detail by Swenson over at CA :D
Indeed but better to go on 3rd party forum postings to formulate your measurement approach, don't you think? Going back to the actual manufacturer for explanations of the premised mode of operation of the uRendu would only lead to complexity - best to keep it simple & test using a stock measurement like noise floor - close enough, right?

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Indeed but better to go on 3rd party forum postings to formulate your measurement approach, don't you think? Going back to the actual manufacturer for explanations of the premised mode of operation of the uRendu would only lead to complexity - best to keep it simple & test using a stock measurement like noise floor - close enough, right?

Ah well... can't change some things... but why would you want to post over there, eh? :p

I need, however, to qualify my statement a little more for it to be accurate.

As it is, I was thinking along the lines of the Regen technology, of which an enhanced version is in the microRendu.

I was honing in on that because the agenda against Swenson is quite heavy-handed and obvious, starting with the mis-measurements of the Regen itself around here. That agenda is continuing with the microRendu.

So this is what I was referring to when I mentioned that the details were given over at CA.

The microRendu, however, is more than just an enhanced Regen: the motherboard is a special-purpose one.

Now, there was a good part 1 article over at CA detailing how it works, but understandably, some of the details were later redacted as they were giving away too much.

I like the meticulous approach of the design.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Yea, Steve, I think we're done - just having a bit of fun for the moment that was in it :)

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
The final measurements from AMR of the iFi iPower are posted

It indeed shows that apart from a 3uV peak that the PS measures at & below 1uV

The technique used for measuring this was:
"The lowest ground noise setup was used with a 9V iPower delivering 750mA current (into a 12 Ohm/50W resistor) and the signal on the +/- side of the resistor was fed into the AP2 unbalanced input."

And his conclusion:
"Conclusion
1. If one sees much more noise than shown above 1uV in ones' measurements of an iPOWER
and
2. In particular, if 50Hz or 60Hz noise is much higher than 100/120Hz instead of being much lower, one's setup is being ‘haunted’ by Instrument Ghosts."

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
Let me explain how I have used Roon in my system during this year so far, and how lately the Microrendu fantastically has improved my sonics in combination with Roon:

1. Initially, I installed RoonServerInstaller64, on my then CAPSv4 (operated headless, using Teamviewer to remotely control the CAPSv4 from my PCs or iPad) (I didn't install the "full" RoonInstaller64 program because Windows 8.1 Pro had been optimized on my CAPSv4 to elimate unnecessary functions, including those necessary for Roon's video display). This program permitted me to utilize the CAPSv4 USB output for audio.

2. In April, Roon updated to version 1.2, a BIG DEAL! I was able to install RoonInstaller64 on my Toshiba laptop; and install RoonBridgeinstaller64 on my CAPSv4. Thanks to RoonBridge on my CAPSv4, I was able to have all the internet seeking for metadata & info, and audio processing, done by my Toshiba laptop; using the RoonBridge on the CAPSv4 only as the USB audio output.

3. I then substituted my CAPSv3 (which runs JRiver for multi-channel via HDMI) (which I quit using for 2 channel via USB once I got the CAPSv4) running RoonServerInstaller64 for the Toshiba laptop, as the CAPSv3 is fanless, and as when I run Roon I am not also running JRiver (which I now use only for multi-channel) at the same time as Roon.

4. In May, I replaced the CAPSv4 as a RoonBridge (outputting USB audio) with the Microrendu (which comes Roonready, which is the same as loading RoonBridge onto a computer).

My current Roon setup:

CAPSv3 runs RoonServerInstaller64. Microrendu is Roon Ready.

WDMyCloudEX4 (Western Digital) 16 TB Server connects via ethernet cable to Linksys router/access point.

CAPSv3 connects via ethernet cable to Linksys router/access point.

Microrendu connects via ethernet cable to Linksys router/access point.

Microrendu connects via USB output/USB cable to Berkely Audio USB to digital converter.

Berkely connects via Cardas AES/EBU digital cable to Theta CBIV SSP.

Theta CBIV SSP connects via three Cardas AES/EBU digital cables to three external Theta Gen VIII Series 3 DACs.

I initially used the Microrendu with the HDPlex 100 watt linear power supply (LPS) that came with my CAPSv4, and it was a clear sonic improvement over the CAPSv4. After I few weeks, my new Sonore Signature Power Supply (with 2 Synergistic Research black fuses) arrived, and this was a substantial sonic improvement even more than before!

Note that my CAPSv3 (and now sold CAPSv4) Windows 8.1 Pro operating systems were optimized by Andrew Gillis, Small Green Computer (he also wrote the software for the Microrendu) to delete unnecessary functions for the best audio sonics and to avoid operating hiccups. I have personally experienced operating hiccups when using a computer without having Windows optimized for audio usage.

:D:):p

All this mumbojumbo and noise is just that, noise. Objective science must also take into account subjective, and in this case, I have no doubt of methodology mistakes for one to equate a laptop sonics & noise with the microrendu. But I'm not gonna waste my time bantering and arguing this - I am having too much fun listening to music sounding its very best in my system! Have at it folks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing