I'm Not Gonna Tell How Great My MicroRendu plus Sonore Signature Power Supply Sounds!

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Call this my parting shot. Blizzard knew what he was talking about.

Barely, until I explained to him he needed to test HQ Player with an NAA and listen to the filters and modulators as done on a computer, which should be as simple a circuit as possible. He was pushing his Resonessence SDCard playback as the ultimate at the time as well as wanting to do Wi-Fi.

Next thing you know, he's talking about this here as if he knew this from years ago (which we did) and others fall for the subterfuge as if he stumbled upon this knowledge by himself. Additionally, despite his example system with a computer as NAA, which he supposedly found best, this won't be a match ever for the microRendu.

Ah, I should preface by saying : "I gather we're not going to delve deeper in the following:" :p

What's funny is that one could find the threads where I have this discussion with him over at CA - LOL.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Steve,

I can not understand 4., apologies for my ignorance in these matters. How did you replace a computer server by the Microrendu?
And please give us your opinions, Computer Audiophile is too hard for beginners!

ComputerAudiophile is caput right now:

Computer Audiophile is undergoing a server upgrade. Sit back, relax, turn up the volume, and click play while we work on the site.

See you in a bit ...

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
ComputerAudiophile is caput right now:

Computer Audiophile is undergoing a server upgrade. Sit back, relax, turn up the volume, and click play while we work on the site.

See you in a bit ...

Far from Kaput: these are planned maintenance for upgrades that Chris has told us about.

There will be new features on the site after the upgrade.

chopchopbin

Sep 27, 2015
Steve,

I can not understand 4., apologies for my ignorance in these matters. How did you replace a computer server by the Microrendu? And please give us your opinions, Computer Audiophile is too hard for beginners!

Hi Steve,

I also don't understand number 4. When the CAPSV4 is removed as an endpoint for Roon, can the Microrendu operate Roon by itself? How do you configure it?

I have another question for others in this forum: Does the Microrendu work with the Lampizator for DSD 256 and can play native DSD 256?

Thanks.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Steve,

I also don't understand number 4. When the CAPSV4 is removed as an endpoint for Roon, can the Microrendu operate Roon by itself? How do you configure it?

I have another question for others in this forum: Does the Microrendu work with the Lampizator for DSD 256 and can play native DSD 256?

Thanks.

No, not yet. The Rendu has old linux which only supports dsd256.

The Amanero USB can do 256 with Linux, but the Linux needs a patch to enable that playback, i.e. feed the Amanero.

Only way I know to feed 256 via Linux to Lampi is with his own Linux based DSD Komputer.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

The Amanero USB can do 256 with Linux, but the Linux needs a patch to enable that playback, i.e. feed the Amanero.

Only way I know to feed 256 via Linux to Lampi is with his own Linux based DSD Komputer.
Typo....old (current) Linux that can do DSD128 max. Needs drivers embedded in new Linux to support dsd256.
Lukasz uses a patched Linux.

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
Hi Steve,

Thanks.

You can use a different pc with the main Roon program - I am using my CAPSv3 Zuma (which I use for multi-channel via HDMI exclusively) to tun the main Roon program. I also have a Toshiba laptop, or my Dell PC in my home office, all wireless on the network, which could run the main Roon program instead. The Microrendu is Roonready and operates as a Roon endpoint or bridge.

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010

In my system Roon via Microrendu does play up to DSD256!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Hmmm,
Steve that goes against what most people are saying and the fact that Jesus is working on getting DSD256 via Linux working. Are you sure its not downsampling to DSD128 and feeding that to the Dac?

Can you tell me what your setup is?

If you are right, that is good news.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
In CA is explained how to play DSD 256 with mRendu.

The DAC must support it via DoP

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
Hmmm,
Steve that goes against what most people are saying and the fact that Jesus is working on getting DSD256 via Linux working. Are you sure its not downsampling to DSD128 and feeding that to the Dac?

Can you tell me what your setup is?

If you are right, that is good news.

I am playing up to DSD256. But the Microrendu converts DSD256 to PCM, then out via USB, to my Berkeley Audio USB to digital converter, then digital AES/EBU to my Theta CBIV SSP, which processes bass management, Dirac Live, etc at 24-96, then digital out to my Theta Generation VIII Series 3 DAC. I can't speak for those who are not converting to PCM but who have DSD DACs!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Thanks for the clarification Steve. Even the Dsd dac guys can downsample to 128 and playback to any DSD dac in Linux.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am playing up to DSD256. But the Microrendu converts DSD256 to PCM, then out via USB, to my Berkeley Audio USB to digital converter, then digital AES/EBU to my Theta CBIV SSP, which processes bass management, Dirac Live, etc at 24-96, then digital out to my Theta Generation VIII Series 3 DAC. I can't speak for those who are not converting to PCM but who have DSD DACs!

Steve,
How does the Microrendu convert DSD256 to PCM? Perhaps wrongly I was assuming that that the Microrendu is "bit transparent".

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Steve,
How does the Microrendu convert DSD256 to PCM? Perhaps wrongly I was assuming that that the Microrendu is "bit transparent".

No, its a Roon endpoint. Roon or HQP on the audio PC is doing the conversion.

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
No, its a Roon endpoint. Roon or HQP on the audio PC is doing the conversion.

Yea - I goofed The main Roon core runs on my CAPSv3 Zuma (modded), with this Roon core doing all that work, using the Microrendu to convert to USB audio out

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010

?To clarify, Roon core on my CAPSv3 Zuma will process up to DSD256, and I have it set to output PCM from DSD, which Roon outputs at 1408 pcm USB out to Microrendu, which then outputs the USB pcm audio to my Berkeley Audio USB to digital converter! As the Berkeley is speced for up to 192-24 PCM, and as my Theta CBIV SSP processes (with bass management and Dirac room correction) at 24-96, I have Roon set to output at 24-961

Last edited:

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing