Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Not Gonna Tell How Great My MicroRendu plus Sonore Signature Power Supply Sounds!

I'm Not Gonna Tell How Great My MicroRendu plus Sonore Signature Power Supply Sounds!

Because you folks will argue, argue and this 3rd MicroRendu thread will be closed, too!

Reminds of the old AVS Forum and why Steve Williams started this forum in the first place, to avoid that type of arguing and crapola.

My Microrendu using my previous HDPlex 100 watt power supply, 9vdc output (came with my CAPSv4 Pipeline, you can buy one direct from HDPlex with adjustable down to 7.5vdc output)
    sounded appreciably better than my CAPSv4! Just put in the Sonore Signature Power Supply, still burn-in in, but already sounds better!

The Microrendu is speced for 6 - 9 vdc. The Sonore Signature Power Supply is 7vdc, which Sonore in their testing for their Microrendu found as their sweet spot. With the HDPlex at 9 vdc, Microrendu got quite hot.
    With Sonore at 7 vdc, its barely warm!

But please ignore what I said above because no one at this forum apparently cares how it sounds, folks would rather get into fights and argue "technicalities"!

[WBF Founding Member] Moderator RBFC's Avatar
    To the contrary, Steve, we are interested in your opinion. We have been engaged in an on-going battle about the issues you cite, but we must not stop posting personal observations. Please tell us more about your impressions of the device, both positive and negative.

Lee
    Lee Aldridge

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    I am as well Steve.

I just read that there is a Roon server streamer with MicroRendu
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    USA Dealer of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    I am as well Steve.

I just read that there is a Roon server streamer with MicroRendu
    Yes. Small Green Computer sells it, 8TB, for $1,575

I have used a laptop, Bryston BDP-1 (5), CAPSv3 (4), CAPSv4 (2) , even an Aurender (3), and now Microrendu (1), with each having different sonics. I have rated the sonics over the past several years in my system for stereo, with (1) being the best, (5) being the "worst". The Bryston was digital out, all the rest were USB out using the Berkeley Audio USB to digital converter.

The MicroRendu is the real thing!!@@

Main Roon program runs on my CAPSv3, which I also use for multi-channel over HDMI with JRiver Media Center. MicroRendu is Roon ready and does the sample rate/bit rate conversion and outputs audio via USB - to my Berkeley Audio USB to digital output, which goes to my Theta CBIV SSP out digital to my Theta Digital Generation VIII Series 3 DAC, for stereo!

Microrendu (Roon Ready) $640.00
    http://microjukebox.com/products/microrendu
    with iFi power supply $690.00 (Sonore)
    http://www.microrendu.sonore.us/
    or add Sonore Signature Power Supply $1,399.00; $1,589.00 with Synergistic Research black fuses
    http://rendu.sonore.us/signature-ser...er-supply.html
    or add HDPlex power supplu using 7.5 vdc output $395.00
    http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-Fanles...CE-device.html

Sonic Transporter AP 8TM (Roon Server) $1,575.00
    http://microjukebox.com/products/son...tb-roon-server
    (music server Steve Williams mentioned, which will run programs like the main Roon)

(If I was doing a completely new two channel music server system, I would consider getting the Sonic Transporter AP 8TM. But I already have a Western Digital WDMyCloudEX4 - 16 TB - using my multi-channel CAPSv3 Zuma
    to run the main Roon program.)

In one of the closed Microrendu threads here, Amir agreed that lower power usage should in theory provide lower electrical noise, and thus the theory goes better sonics. This, and theory that ethernet in only
    provides for better isolation and less noise (I ain't no spankin' engineer, so I ain't promising I am explaining this correctly, my objective style is perhaps more "Trumpian". HA!), is why Andrew Gillis of Small Green Computer was so interested in being involved with this Microrendu project with both John Swenson and Sonore.

Amir's theory (which I respect) that using a top notch USB to digital converter obviates any difference in sonics in the downstream computer/music server is clearly not proven with subjective listening in my own system.
    I think objectivity is important, but not everything, and of course if objectivity tells you one thing and your ear/brain/sonics over time tell you something else, then perhaps the objective theory may be flawed!
    Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 05-18-2016 at 11:50 PM.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Elberoth's Avatar
    I can't wait till I get mine.

I also have a server that started its life as CAPS v4, but is now heavily modified (battery PSU for the SSD, different USB card, linear full ATX PSU etc) which pushed its performance to a whole different level.

I wonder if uRednu can beat it.

I have UpTone JS-2 PSU, ifi PSU, and Teddy Pardo 9V PSU to try. I will also order the new UpTone audio PSU/regulator when it becomes available.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: MSB M202 / D'Agostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Golden Gate DSD only + Lampi DSD Komputer server
    Cables: AudioQuest WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
    I think objectivity is important, but not everything, and of course if objectivity tells you one thing and your ear/brain/sonics over time tell you something else, then perhaps the objective theory may be flawed!
    Well stated ... time and experience being of key importance; when one has lived with said product for a long period of time, w/many comparisons along that journey, only to be told repeatedly that your "method" of observation lacks the necessary objectivity; its dismissive, as if being told to trash all past experiences as unworthy of consideration.

When both camps continually throw stones from very opposing ends of the field and neither has the range ... I suggest not sitting at the 50 yard line.

It looks like there will be two more solid 'disconnected' power supplies to choose from to power the Sonore microRendu:

- The Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1

- The Vinnie Rossi forthcoming power supply based on ultra-capacitors too
    Dedicated Audio lines | DSD256 | Audirvana+ | IFI IDSD Nano | DIY Single-Ended Triode Tube Amp | Totem Mites

My days of detailed comprehensive online component evaluations are done - too lazy, now I post a bit but mostly I let myself enjoy. However, I will say that I was startled by the sonic improvement from using the HDPlex at 9 vdc and the Sonore Signature at 7 vdc. Using the HDplex with the Microrendu was quite an improvement over my CAPSv4 Pipeline (using a Berkeley Audio USB to digital converter, to Theta Digital Casablanca IV SSP digital out to Generation VIII Series 3 DAC, with Aerial Acoustics 7ts and two JL Audio f212 subwoofers, with Theta CBIV using Dirac Live as well). But changing the power supply to the Sonore was far more breathtaking, on all sorts of music that I played! Voices became ethereal, present in the room totally separate from the instrumentals. I could feel the various jazz players & instruments right in front of me. Now I don't have the time or patience to try out other power supplies - so I can't tell you how they sound. I can't imagine how any other power supply could sound better - that's how good it sounds now, or shall I say midnite last night with only 12 hours break in (using XLO Reference Recordings Test Disc tracks). Note that the HDPlex power supply, from my CAPSv4, output 9 vdc and the Microrendu was on the bottom end of hot, not too hot too hold. With the Sonore power supply, the Microrendu is not even warm. And the Sonore power supply itself is not even warm. And shame on me, I have some extra old tweaks lying around, so I placed the Sonore power supply on a set of Symposium Rollerblocks, on top of a Symposium Svelte Shelf. Oh - I have not in the past used audiophile fuses, but this time, I went ahead and paid extra for the Synergistic Research black fuses (2) which is an option on the Sonore website. Interesting is that after about 3 hours break-in I really liked the Sonics but noted that the system just didn't seem to sound as well or handle the audio as well when I really started to turn up the volume (I have a large theater room, 25' X 18' X 12' high, with Michael Greene Pressure Zone Controllers for acoustics treatments) - but 9 hours later, midnite last nite, the audio/system was purring along and sounded phenomenal regardless of volume level - not unusual, I've experienced the burn-in phenomena many times over the years.
    Also, when I set up the new power supply yesterday, I took out the .8M Curious Cable, and just got and inserted the short Curious Cable Regen Link - so the cable and power supply are burning in!

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Steve

How were you lucky enough to get one so early
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    USA Dealer of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

I have purchased two CAPS music servers from Andrew Gillis, Small Green Computer, previously, and the CAPSv3 was modded somewhat and I got to know Andrew quite well in doing this. I had chatted with Andrew a month or two before the microrendu became available, and he emailed me and other customers so we could early order! HA!

Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast