Analog vs Lampizator

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
IMHO they are just different mediums and they both have flaws and positive aspects. On average, I find Lampi digital wins with more consistent sound quality over, say 100 albums, than vinyl.

Vinyl can be really seriously annoying. And that's understating it sometimes, especially when you trash your cartridge.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
IMHO they are just different mediums and they both have flaws and positive aspects. On average, I find Lampi digital wins with more consistent sound quality over, say 100 albums, than vinyl.

Vinyl can be really seriously annoying. And that's understating it sometimes, especially when you trash your cartridge.

totally disagree.

vinyl wins easily and is more consistent.

specifically with my SE GG compared to my vinyl the vinyl wins easily. and its not close.

the only exception is digital based vinyl where anything is possible. but this is a small fraction of vinyl. OTOH if you are only speaking about recently recorded vinyl then it's almost all digital based and wildly inconsistent. I don't have much of it as a result.

agree that neither medium is perfect.

I can find annoying vinyl....may a couple percentage points of my 8000 pressings.

Reactions: amadeus and Lagonda

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Guys .. Chill out .. That is only his opinion... although ... he could be right :D...

number95

May 14, 2014

Agree vinyl can be annoying. Such that it makes one addicted to listen to only vinyl and don't bother with digital. And even seriously annoying such that even a 150k digital investment (including cables) still couldn't match an AAA vinyl recording on a good analog rig.

Reactions: amadeus

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Agree vinyl can be annoying. Such that it makes one addicted to listen to only vinyl and don't bother with digital. And even seriously annoying such that even a 150k digital investment (including cables) still couldn't match an AAA vinyl recording on a good analog rig.

But then the 150k digital wouldn't match Lampizator either. Seriously :). But yes variance in vinyl set-ups is very high, and good decks will be better.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010

I am sorry you feel that way. It means you might not have heard a properly setup vinyl rig. It should be very clearly better in most cases.

Reactions: amadeus

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
There are certainly different views and opinions on the question of which is bettre: Vinyl or Digital?

One example: the discussion between Michael Fremer and fellow Audio Magazine editors at The Show Newport last year.
We also heard the debate at another panel at that event where one speaker claimed LPs and Analog were by definition not high resolution audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEr5UfBjDSc

For me, the best bet is to enjoy the music and leaving the debating to others.... :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't want to start another vinyl vs digital thread. There are many such, and unfair on Lampi to be clubbed with 'digital' - I posted this to share that review of Lampi vs his specific TT set-up

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I am sorry you feel that way. It means you might not have heard a properly setup vinyl rig. It should be very clearly better in most cases.

Well I did feel that way when I trashed my Transfiguration Orpheus!

I've been using vinyl for 4 decades BTW and have heard some of the world's finest vinyl setups.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
TBH I started listening to it when I was 5 onwards... in my brother's room. Was playing them myself from the age of less than 10...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don't want to start another vinyl vs digital thread. There are many such, and unfair on Lampi to be clubbed with 'digital' - I posted this to share that review of Lampi vs his specific TT set-up

Review? Although it is long and enjoyable post, I could not see any review of anything. Just opinions without any solid explanation. Fortunately the poster acknowledges that "except for the jazz each of these is a different mastering", no one can say he has not been warned. But I found interesting that he owns vintage Soundlab A2's - I also have an almost thirty year old pair in my garage waiting for refurbishment of one bass panel - the treble sections still measure as new! And we disagree on the Audio Research SP15 - I had really good sound with it using LPs.

BTW, the Pink Triangle anniversary sounded "fast", but "light", and at that time many people used the Linn tonearms with other brands of turntables, although the Linn retailers were not supposed to know about it!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Audiophile Bill is your man for analog v Lampi comparisons. He has a Fully Loaded GG and Gold Top Full Cream Kuzma setup, and listens to both on a daily basis. Maybe he'll pitch in w/his views.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Audiophile Bill is your man for analog v Lampi comparisons. He has a Fully Loaded GG and Gold Top Full Cream Kuzma setup, and listens to both on a daily basis. Maybe he'll pitch in w/his views.

Here I am - just furiously burning in a new Analog Domain m75d amp.

Anyway. I am with Mike L on this matter no question. The Lampi GG is no doubt a sensational machine and does things you don't normally get from any digital source (crazy 3D imaging, sublime tone, and just plain and simple musical enthralment) - it is highly addictive and is IMHO the most enjoyable digital source out there that I have heard. It also represents 70% of my listening cos I am too lazy to change LPs all the time :)

So if I select the absolute best native dsd track from the likes of channel classics and put it up against the best vinyl I can find - something like one of my Decca SXLs, the Kuzma pulls away without too much sweat. I can't think of a better way to test because of different mastering between formats that precludes the evaluation of the same track easily.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Back onto analogue versus digital LOL...

I'm in the both can sound amazing camp.

But I don't think it is because vinyl is better than digital. I believe the inherent flaws in vinyl can actually make it sound better. The high levels of noise act as dither, tracking distortions can aid rock guitars etc etc. The LF performance of vinyl is a complete joke. I can visibly see it sinning just by watching the bass panels, or can do the same by watching woofer exceursions that have nothing to do with the source material.

Triode distortion is probably what makes a Lampi so appealing. Just swapping tubes changes the distortion profiles so markedly you can easily hear it. If you want technically good digital don't use a Lampi.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
When I select best native dsd from Fone it wins hands down with my average vinyl. When I switch W20 to usb with power supply it decreases the SQ by a significant margin tough.
IMO to have the best native dsd with Lampi B7 and GG one have to install the best transport possible . Without it the comparison is not fair.
The best vinyl pressings are on par with my best native dsd but a bit different.
Talking prices my vinyl rig costed about 12 k GBP ( deck, tonearm, cart and phono stage ) without power cords. The digital one : W20 plus Lampi B7 with Duelunds caps was more expensive.
But if I add anitvibration platform , tweaks and cleaning machine to analog part , they are nearly even.
Like them both but the convenience of digital is a big advantage.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

True - and Audiocrack too, apart from Mike L - He has 4 high quality TTs and the GG - Blue Pearl JEM, which was rated by Roy Gregory to be much better than Rockport Sirius, the Da Vinci Gabriel, Forsell, and Walker. Kuzma Airline and da vinci arms, Lyra Olympos, Koetsu Coralstone, and Lyra Connoisseur, among other things. But we can dismiss AC and Mike as a bit unique with their analog set up, like ddk, so not representative of normal audiophiles

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
True - and Audiocrack too, apart from Mike L - He has 4 high quality TTs and the GG - Blue Pearl JEM, which was rated by Roy Gregory to be much better than Rockport Sirius, the Da Vinci Gabriel, Forsell, and Walker. Kuzma Airline and da vinci arms, Lyra Olympos, Koetsu Coralstone, and Lyra Connoisseur, among other things. But we can dismiss AC and Mike as a bit unique with their analog set up, like ddk, so not representative of normal audiophiles

Would be very happy if my wife would call my 'audio aberration' as "a bit unique" .
But let me add another opinion: although I like the Trinity combo and my Lampi GG/dedicated server very much, all my turntables - provided they are set up well - beat them in many important ways. In particular (and in one word) the fluency of vinyl always strucks me when I have not listened to vinyl for a while. Would love to have it the other way round - because I am not really good at getting the best out of (my) turntables and because digital playback, in particular playing files using my ipad, is much more convenient - but to my ears vinyl still rules (have no tape deck experience in my set ups).?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
But we can dismiss AC and Mike as a bit unique with their analog set up, like ddk, so not representative of normal audiophiles

Very true. The cost difference alone makes it a totally unfair comparison. Ridiculous actually. And of course, its all totally subjective anyway so who cares. Not I.

For me, I have eight year old digital technology and I'm quite content with it. It sounds just fine to me and I spend my audio money on music.

Oh boy, another A vs D thread. Time to make some popcorn.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing