Sennheiser HD 800 S Headphones + SimAudio Moon Neo 430HA Headphone Amplifier

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
I had to correct the assembly of the XLR barrel of the Zynsonix cable. No resoldering was required, but only someone who has assembled such cables from scratch before as I had would have known what was wrong, much less how to fix it. As received the cable would not fit into an XLR jack since the pins were not properly aligned with the slot in the barrel.

• Wow
Reactions: Ron Resnick

lyons238

Jan 27, 2021
I had to correct the assembly of the XLR barrel of the Zynsonix cable. No resoldering was required, but only someone who has assembled such cables from scratch before as I had would have known what was wrong, much less how to fix it. As received the cable would not fit into an XLR jack since the pins were not properly aligned with the slot in the barrel.

Ya I know what you mean as I built all my current cables. Hopefully it was just a rare mistake on their part.

I'm considering building my own cables again but I sort of want them quickly and the raw materials are quite expensive when you're ordering them as an individual from multiple suppliers which is why I'm consdiering just buying one pre-built as well.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I appreciate your response and open mindness. I realized not only did i revive an old thread but i may have come off a little strong.

however, I know what you mean, I'm currently on the hunt for a few cables for my various headphones because I've primarily been using single ended and i just got a new dac and amp and would like to run it all balanced.

with that said i am actually considering the moon audio black dragon, not necessarily because i think it will sound much if any better than my current cables that i made with cardas 24g OCC. but because i can at least trust the build quality will be spot on and it certainly won't sound any worse.

did you find the Zynsonix cable as good of build quality as the black dragon? i actually prefer the look of the ballista cable but moon audio offers the connectors that i like the look and quality of which are the furutech connectors.

i also use and love blue jeans cable, i use their canare speaker cable with locking bananas and their beldon cable for XLR's! i always shoot for quality build with good wire geometry and makeup but don't necessarily seek boutique brands, it just happens some more boutique brands offer the aesthetics and quality i like which certainly can help you get that last 1% of your system.
I’m a big fan of the Moon Audio Dragon series. I use them on Hifiman 1000s and Focal Utopias - in both cases balanced.

lyons238

Jan 27, 2021
I’m a big fan of the Moon Audio Dragon series. I use them on Hifiman 1000s and Focal Utopias - in both cases balanced.

my black dragon premium cable for the LCD-X actually just came in, moon audio ships fast! the cable is really nice. my only complaint is the cable is pretty dang heavy. I'm considering returning it and looking elsewhere. the cables that I made myself are extremely light. I'm not sure if the shielding on the black dragon cable is even worth it at that point also considering the Y split up to the headphones are not shielded, unless maybe they have the shield twisted up and split going to each connector at the headphone? even then those conductors are still not covered by the shield, idk if anyone can comment on that. as I'm not sure if it even makes a difference aside from adding a lot of weight to the bulk of the cable.

now I'm undecided if I should keep this 10' black dragon premium and cut it down to about 8' and deal with the weight or consider another brand. does anyone have any suggestions for other cables that are of similar quality OCC, with the option for the CF furutech connectors, and lightweight?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing