Cord cutting update

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Unfortunately the ISP's are wising up, too. They are beginning to cap data.

I use Comcast/Xfinity for internet and Tucson is one of the markets where they capped data at 350 gigabytes per month.

Just switched TV to DirecTV based on an excellent deal so haven't cut the cord yet. Have thought about it though.

Both of my kids have cut the cord.

My wife is a Netflix fan, especially House of Cards.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Unfortunately the ISP's are wising up, too. They are beginning to cap data.

I use Comcast/Xfinity for internet and Tucson is one of the markets where they capped data at 350 gigabytes per month.

Just switched TV to DirecTV based on a excellent deal so haven't cut the cord yet. Have thought about it though.

Both of my kids have cut the cord.

My wife is a Netflix fan, especially House of Cards.

My problem is I use it all. I just redid my contract with Cox cable and shaved $130/month off my monthly bill.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Comcast didn't want to give me a good bundle deal so I bailed.

These cable and satellite guys give you a great deal to sign up but then basically force you to switch every two years.

You were fortunate that Cox worked with you. Maybe their deal to buy Time Warner helped.....or you have superior negotiating skills! :)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'd drop TWC's TV packages in a heartbeat. The interface for their settop boxes is horrendous, and I'd much rather use an Apple TV (or even my TV's own built-in apps!) than the putrid interface on the TWC box...

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
I'd drop TWC's TV packages in a heartbeat. The interface for their settop boxes is horrendous, and I'd much rather use an Apple TV (or even my TV's own built-in apps!) than the putrid interface on the TWC box...

My last TWC set top box was, undoubtedly, the worst consumer electronics item I have ever used. HANDS DOWN! Samsung something. POS. I bought a Tivo box just to get away from it.

When I went to turn in the TWC box, the CR was like: you realize you won't be able to access our on-demand features with a Tivo box?
me: you realize I can't access them now with your POS box?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello all. The wife and I would love to cut the cord but the service and programming from DirecTV simply offers too much still, although we are watching more and more from wireless services. Plus, it's a PIA to search for something off of the TV remote. It's like it's 1999 again. To me, no thanks. The DVR, DTV, Netflix, Redbox when necessary and Amazon Prime combined are where it's at for me right now.

Tom

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I just took the first step to cut the cord. Hulu now offers LIVE TV and can support virtually every channel we watch - all of the ESPN's, HGTV, the major networks, Golf Channel, the sports channels, etc.

BUT, I had not thought about the data restrictions. Oops !!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Comcast has had data caps for years, they are actually much higher now than in the past. AT&T tried them for a while, now uses them only in lower tier plans. AFAIK Cox and Charter/Spectrum have never had caps.

The bigger question is what happens if Trump's FCC gets its way and Net Neutrality is abolished; then the ISP's (usually also cable TV providers) get to decide what you get to access on the Internet. Hmmm...want to watch Netflix? That will be an extra $50/mo please.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I ordered a device that Hulu recommended for Live TV only to find out that it is not currently supported. So Cord Cutting will wait a while.

Instead, AT&T is offering in our neighborhood new high speed internet (up to 1,000 MB) and are offering nice savings when coupled with DirecTV - which I already use. So, I switched ISP's and will save about $40/month (and am getting about 20% increase in download speed and 10x increase in upload speed).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing