What was with the music at Munich 2016?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/05/impressions-on-munich-high-end-2016.html#more

Sorry to post such a long article, but the last few paragraphs sum up my thoughts.
I only didn't bring any music assuming most rooms would have a selection to choose from. Boy, was I wrong.
Ralph of Cessaro had NOT A SINGLE rock lp to play.
The SG rollout/512dsd show used anodyne covers of songs as big part of the demo.
The majority of rooms played smooth vocal jazz/elevator pap of the lowest order.
The only exceptions was a room where some good 'ol fashioned jazz rock was belting out, and the Zu/Mach room where the ever dependable Sean Casey was hosting a vast array of dance/ambient/Americana/alt rock etc. Thnk God for Zu at shows.
I'm sure there were others, but I couldn't find them.

Now, are we saying the gear cannot sound good w/challenging music?
Are we saying the typical audiophile actually listens to this dirge played all the time?
Are we actually saying the designers etc are scared to play challenging music?

If we went to a car event full of sports and performance vehicles, would we really be happy seeing them driving in first gear as if they're negotiating heavy traffic?
For this reason more than many, I'm not sure I'll make the return trip next yr.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, it doesn't have to be this way.
Are we really saying some Scheherazade, Bach organ or harpsichord, Floyd Dark Side, Coltrane, Miles, Kate Bush, Beatles, Stones, John McLaughlin etc etc couldn't have been played. There were really only a handful of rooms, that required finding by accident, that allowed their systems to open up and BREATHE.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/05/impressions-on-munich-high-end-2016.html#more

Sorry to post such a long article, but the last few paragraphs sum up my thoughts.
I only didn't bring any music assuming most rooms would have a selection to choose from. Boy, was I wrong.
Ralph of Cessaro had NOT A SINGLE rock lp to play.
The SG rollout/512dsd show used anodyne covers of songs as big part of the demo.
The majority of rooms played smooth vocal jazz/elevator pap of the lowest order.
The only exceptions was a room where some good 'ol fashioned jazz rock was belting out, and the Zu/Mach room where the ever dependable Sean Casey was hosting a vast array of dance/ambient/Americana/alt rock etc. Thnk God for Zu at shows.
I'm sure there were others, but I couldn't find them.

Are we saying the typical audiophile actually listens to this dirge played all the time?

If we went to a car event full of sports and performance vehicles, would we really be happy seeing them driving in first gear as if they're negotiating heavy traffic?
For this reason more than many, I'm not sure I'll make the return trip next yr.

Yes, one of the main reasons I don't go to audio shows. Waste of time, mostly, even though like for everything there will be exceptions.

As others at WBF also have noted, there seems to be an unfortunate culture in high-end audio, also apparently among some manufacturers, which equates clean reproduction with an overly polite, inoffensive sound (we can't have hard sounding brass, can we?). The insipid choice of music at audio shows is part of that culture.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I wanted to play the new Daft Punk album a few years ago and the guy in the room literally cut off my track and put on Leonard Cohen and on top of that, proceeded to act like I was a newbie. It was insulting and I left the room. That DP album has been used in audiophile reviews everywhere since then.

I think music at Newport has been better and hope the trend continues in a few weeks. At least I rarely hear Hugh Masekela and Diana Krall. I'm thinking of bringing a Jason Isbell LP this year for demo. I don't like audiophile music and in particular, the more lounge singer types.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, I know y'r a Zu groupie like me, and I have to say Sean was playing some amazing music. Not stuff I have in my collection, but music that makes you feel glad to be alive. Fits w/his other persona as MC/DJ.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
In the Lampizator room the guy gave me the iPad controller and within seconds some great sounding Led Zeppelin was blasting out of the speakers, also in the Tune Audio room Jack played some Led Zeppelin for me as well

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

That's why you have to bring your own, always.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
What does music have to do with ultimate diamond or diamond coated extreme Mk 3 reference graphene treated stereogear:D its way beyond its level you can see it at the price tags :)
It has to cost at least 200 K otherwise its crap lol

At the moment i m listening to ZZ Top, only thing i wish for is a dedicated noise isolated listening room where i can cranck it up real hard lol:D

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing