C1 plus or minus X1

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Hello. I will soon try at home a C1 with Ethernet streaming board, and will compare to a Rossini DAC. About X1 power supply, Alan Taffel says in TAS : "To get the most out of the CH equipment, I advise foregoing the X1." However, users on this forum believe its a plus. What about your experience?

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have L1,C1,X1 and 2 A1

First things i bought C1 and 2 A1.
After 2 months i bought X1 to connect to C1.
I listen immediatly the sound with more detail,more dynamic,more space between instruments and more resolution also at low level.
Absoluty to try and to buy if you can

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Thanks. Do you have a power regulation apart the X1? As i have a PS AUDIO 10 for all my system, i was wondering if X1 was also necessary

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
No i havent.
I know ps audio 10 is very good,and i think can give pure power also to X1 and i think is no bad.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
I use an x1 for my c1.

Agree with Gian. The x1 brought greater detail and even lower noise floor to the c1's performance via ethernet.

Btw, i run my x1 through a shunyata triton. The x1 is not a power conditioner or regenerator like your ps audio, but a very well designed external power supply. It is modular so you can add a second regulator board to the x1 for another CH unit (like a P1 phono stage for example).
CH have the measurements in terms of expected improvement from the p1 when using the x1. They may have similar info for use of the c1 /x1 combo.
Chris

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
I use an X1 with my C1. Chris and Gian described what I hear too: greater detail, lower noise floor that allows one to hear individual instruments more clearly. The ethernet path for playback is exceptional. I use a 5KVA isolation transformer that feeds a separate circuit panel that feeds the (8) 20A outlets in the music room so my power is exceptionally clean to start. The C1/X1 is the way to go if you can.

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
I use an X1 with my C1. Chris and Gian described what I hear too: greater detail, lower noise floor that allows one to hear individual instruments more clearly. The ethernet path for playback is exceptional. I use a 5KVA isolation transformer that feeds a separate circuit panel that feeds the (8) 20A outlets in the music room so my power is exceptionally clean to start. The C1/X1 is the way to go if you can.
Thank you! Do you use a NAS to go to the Ch Ethernet streaming board? If yes, what kind? How do you rip CD? Would appreciate your help

vjayh

May 19, 2012
I too use X1/ C1 combo w/ network card. I stream from Synology NAS, and generally use CH software to control from an Android. Am running Minimserver/ Minimstreamer + BubbleUPnP on NAS and CH renderer. The only drawback is that CH software doesn't do "gapless" playback, so have to use other app/ renderer for that.

Anyway, its a great setup. I too have dedicated electrical panel and large isolation transformer and still notice a big step up with the X1 vs. without. I'm getting a different fanless NAS w/ linear power supply and SSD drives to see if it makes a difference. At a minimum, it's close in proximity to my turntable, so should help eliminate vibration to the TT.

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
I too use X1/ C1 combo w/ network card. I stream from Synology NAS, and generally use CH software to control from an Android. Am running Minimserver/ Minimstreamer + BubbleUPnP on NAS and CH renderer. The only drawback is that CH software doesn't do "gapless" playback, so have to use other app/ renderer for that.

Anyway, its a great setup. I too have dedicated electrical panel and large isolation transformer and still notice a big step up with the X1 vs. without. I'm getting a different fanless NAS w/ linear power supply and SSD drives to see if it makes a difference. At a minimum, it's close in proximity to my turntable, so should help eliminate vibration to the TT.
Thanks vjayh. Did you install Minimserver and BubbleUPnP yourself? I still think quite complicated to manage all this stuff: when you buy a 30 000 euros DAC with a streamer card, it should be done by the retailer, do you agree?

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Thank you! Do you use a NAS to go to the Ch Ethernet streaming board? If yes, what kind? How do you rip CD? Would appreciate your help

I do not use a NAS but something very similar. Since my setup is all Apple OSX based, I have all music on an external USB 2TB hard file connected to a MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro is connected to the network via Ethernet (the wifi off). I run MiniMServer on the MacBook Pro. The control app is called Plug Player and runs on an iPad connected to the network via wifi. Plug Player connects the source (MacBook Pro MiniMserver) to the renderer (CH C1) controlled by the iPad. My files are stored as AIFF files and as DSF files for DSD. I have a properly configured Sony PlayStation to make the DSD rips. Plug Player interface is fair at best.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Thanks vjayh. Did you install Minimserver and BubbleUPnP yourself? I still think quite complicated to manage all this stuff: when you buy a 30 000 euros DAC with a streamer card, it should be done by the retailer, do you agree?

It definately should. Some are still living in a pre computer audio era though. You can visit Computer Audiophile forum for support.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I do not use a NAS but something very similar. Since my setup is all Apple OSX based, I have all music on an external USB 2TB hard file connected to a MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro is connected to the network via Ethernet (the wifi off). I run MiniMServer on the MacBook Pro. The control app is called Plug Player and runs on an iPad connected to the network via wifi. Plug Player connects the source (MacBook Pro MiniMserver) to the renderer (CH C1) controlled by the iPad. My files are stored as AIFF files and as DSF files for DSD. I have a properly configured Sony PlayStation to make the DSD rips. Plug Player interface is fair at best.

Hi there!

May I suggest something that would open up your choices of control apps?
If you install BubbleUPNP Server on your Mac (http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/), you'll be able to use any OpenHome-compatible control point app (like Linn Kazoo, Lumin, etc), not only the pure UPNP stuff (like PlugPlayer).
Since (unfortunately) most streamers are pure UPNP things, BubbleUPNP will make them OpenHome compatible, so you'll be able to use proper control point apps, and not the kludgy UPNP stuff...
Hope this helps!

cheers,
alex

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Hi there!

May I suggest something that would open up your choices of control apps?
If you install BubbleUPNP Server on your Mac (http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/), you'll be able to use any OpenHome-compatible control point app (like Linn Kazoo, Lumin, etc), not only the pure UPNP stuff (like PlugPlayer).
Since (unfortunately) most streamers are pure UPNP things, BubbleUPNP will make them OpenHome compatible, so you'll be able to use proper control point apps, and not the kludgy UPNP stuff...
Hope this helps!

cheers,
alex

Hi Alex. Thanks for the recommendation. I will give this a try.

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
I am currently using a C1 without X1. Not that I prefer C1 without X1; I did demo D1+C1 with and without X1 and I preferred the sound with X1, but I ended up buying the D1+C1 combo as optical disc still sounds better than Ethernet streaming, and my budget ran out. Maybe I will add X1 in the future but I am very happy with D1+C1 right now.

I do have the Ethernet board in C1. NAS is a Melco which I much preferred over the QNAP I had before.

Hello. I will soon try at home a C1 with Ethernet streaming board, and will compare to a Rossini DAC. About X1 power supply, Alan Taffel says in TAS : "To get the most out of the CH equipment, I advise foregoing the X1." However, users on this forum believe its a plus. What about your experience?

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have L1 + C1 and X1 with one board for L1
In July will arrive a second board to connect also C1.

Sure your next step in future can be an X1 and later a second board for D1

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway

Interesting because I also think about adding the X1 to my C1. I use my C1 as a dac only with USB to an Aurender + SPDIF to the CEC transport. With regards to improvements with the X1; Are we talking about a real improvement or just minor improvements that you have to really concentrate in order to hear? I mean, the C1 is outstanding as it is . I also have a dedicated AC line and some other AC products as well. I am not bothered by noise. But one never know about improvements before you actually hear them. Before the C1 I "thought" I had a great dac. Good yes, but not even Close to the C1.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Interesting because I also think about adding the X1 to my C1. I use my C1 as a dac only with USB to an Aurender + SPDIF to the CEC transport. With regards to improvements with the X1; Are we talking about a real improvement or just minor improvements that you have to really concentrate in order to hear? I mean, the C1 is outstanding as it is . I also have a dedicated AC line and some other AC products as well. I am not bothered by noise. But one never know about improvements before you actually hear them. Before the C1 I "thought" I had a great dac. Good yes, but not even Close to the C1.

Jep123 - yes, the C1 is outstanding as it is. The X1 brought a lower noise floor, more "weight" to the presentation, and improved the "space" between instruments when present in the recording. I thought it to be a "real improvement" so I bought it. I suggest you give it a try to determine if it is a "real improvement" or just a "minor improvement" in your system. It's not cheap so you have to really feel it is worth it. By the way, I suggest upgrading your C1 to the latest v3.8 microcode if you have not done so. I could be crazy but I think the C1 sounds better. Trying to find out what was changed from the CH Precision team but have not heard back yet.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012

Hi Jep .... What do you think is better in terms of SQ ... RBCD via the CEC or files from the Aurrender . I am thinking about the new CEC transport , so would be interested in knowing . Thanks

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have C1 and X1 and i am 100% agree with rsorren1.

I also tried P1 with and without X1.
With X1 the improvement was also bigger than with C1.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Hi Jep .... What do you think is better in terms of SQ ... RBCD via the CEC or files from the Aurrender . I am thinking about the new CEC transport , so would be interested in knowing . Thanks

First thank you all for the feedback regarding the X1. I do not have the possibility to try it before I buy it so I guess I just have to take the chance. And based on the feedback from you all it seems like a no-brainer :). We all want even better sound, it never stops... The C1 is an excellent match with the Absolare by the way.

So to the CEC vs Aurender: They both sound very good and to be honest I haven' t directly compared them either. The CEC is a very good sounding (non digital sounding) transport and I would not be without it. I am listening to a lot on CD and I have recently bought a lot of classical music on CD, among these the excellent Living Stereo compilations. So I continue to enjoy CD, but the Aurender is of course a very good product with a very good app as well.

Next stop for me is to try the Echole cables, a sister company to Absolare. That will be interesting.

Again many thanks for responding to my X1 questions, although the positive user feedback will cost me a lot of money :).

JP

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing