Wavac LCR-X2...is it worth $10k ?

Pani

Jun 4, 2013
Hi,
I am looking for an analog upgrade. My current phonostage is a 47 Labs phonocube. I have an offer for a used Wavac LCR-X2 and a Klyne 7. Wavac is considerably more expensive at nearly $10k (after all miscellaneous expenses) but I can afford it if it is actually worth a $10k phonostage.

My preference is an energetic, fast, neutral and dynamic sound with great swing and boogie factor. I dont need a typical warmish, slow or romantic sound. Some may say I should go for solid state phono, I hear that hence I am looking at the Klyne. But I am a bit partial to tubes because they present music with that "breath of life" feeling, like real instruments and voices sound. If Wavac can do it then I can pull it off. Any suggestions ?

By the way, are there any tube preamps with in-built phonostage that can match the performance of these standalone phono stages ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Have you heard Thoress and NVO Spa II Special Edition phonostages, since you like tubey ones? Any other phonos auditioned to which you preferred the 47 labs?

Pani

Jun 4, 2013
47 labs is overall a nice phonostage but I am trying to see if the Wavac can take me near the state of the art.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
A mate of mine has the Wavac and he loves ot.

It lies more on the warm side but still detailed and tube magic vs fast/neutral.

Can you hear it first?

Vip428

Sep 14, 2016
I Love my Klyne. It's one of many stages I own. I am myself considering a LCR-X2. It's one of 3 stages I am looking to acquire. The Klyne strikes a great balance of musicality and presence and is dead quiet. It is quick and layered. Love it. I also own ASR Basis Excl., Lamm LP2, Pass X-Ono, NAT Audio Sig. All have their virtues and do something better than the others. The Klyne holds a special place for me. Let me know what you went with.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
By the way, are there any tube preamps with in-built phonostage that can match the performance of these standalone phono stages ?

Within this price bracket my vote would go to the EAR Yoshino 912.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
It lies more on the warm side but still detailed and tube magic vs fast/neutral.

+1 .. I owned the Wavac PRT1 line stage and the above describes it perfectly , guessing the phono will be along similar lines .

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
+1 .. I owned the Wavac PRT1 line stage and the above describes it perfectly , guessing the phono will be along similar lines .

Sorry for the not very relevant Lampi plug but a guy on computer audiophile with the Lampi sold off his wavac prt1 (which he liked) and is connecting Lampi direct

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing