telefunken studio decks compared to studer decks

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I did combine M15a as transport and Studer A80's repro amp to get a better result and posted which you can read from this forum
tony ma

Thanks Tony. Are you using an AEG m15A tape deck? I was wondering if there are any quality differences between the later made AEG and the older Telefunken (only) versions of this m15a model.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am a greenhorn with respect to high quality tape deck playing. However, I found an AEG (Telefunken made) Magnetophon 15 A tape deck in splendid condition. Does any of the 'tape experts' know if this AEG/Telefunken machine can compete with the top Studer tape decks and whether it is worth acquiring?

Both are great machines - a local audiophile has both the 15A and the A820. One as a Doshi preamplifier, the other a King Cello, but it is not easy to compare the effect of the decks as the preamplifiers can not be exchanged.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
M 15 A is a more reliable ( what they say ) machine /cheaper to run , i ve got both Studer A 80 and the telefunken , the studer is a more complex machine
I would definetively buy the telefunken , easy to use sounds great and not that expensive , the studer " might" sound slightly better not sure , ma ybe i ll go compare again this weekend
Both have the tape sound , the best tapes i have at home were /are mastertapes done buy the studer B 62 and with the M 15 A .
Basf and agfa gevaert and old broadcast tapes.
Studer B 62 sounds the best i think , a bit more snappy , could be the construction .
A recording engineer told me he preferred the telefunken as a workhorse due to reliability issues with the studer , the telefunken has also " glass" heads which dont wear , supposedly sound worse then the studer heads , not sure about that .
At least in my system.

Ps May be my system aint transparent enough . or i m deaf ;)

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Both are great machines - a local audiophile has both the 15A and the A820. One as a Doshi preamplifier, the other a King Cello, but it is not easy to compare the effect of the decks as the preamplifiers can not be exchanged.

Thanks Micro.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
M 15 A is a more reliable ( what they say ) machine /cheaper to run , i ve got both Studer A 80 and the telefunken , the studer is a more complex machine
I would definetively buy the telefunken , easy to use sounds great and not that expensive , the studer " might" sound slightly better not sure , ma ybe i ll go compare again this weekend
Both have the tape sound , the best tapes i have at home were /are mastertapes done buy the studer B 62 and with the M 15 A .
Basf and agfa gevaert and old broadcast tapes.
Studer B 62 sounds the best i think , a bit more snappy , could be the construction .
A recording engineer told me he preferred the telefunken as a workhorse due to reliability issues with the studer , the telefunken has also " glass" heads which dont wear , supposely sound worse the studer heads , not sure about that .
At least in my system.

Ps May be my system aint transparent enough . or i m deaf ;)

Much appreciated Andromedaaudio. Hopefully I will be able to pick up this machine up in Germany on short notice. Curious to find out if such a tape deck sounds (clearly) better than digital and vinyl as many experienced audiophiles claim.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Where do you buy it from , just curious , hilpert (fully refurbished ??)
It sounds different , makes you understand recording/playback hasnt progressed much in 50 years besides convenience ;)

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Where do you buy it from , just curious , hilpert (fully refurbished ??)
It sounds different , makes you understand recording/playback hasnt progressed much in 50 years besides convenience ;)

Will try to give you a call on short notice. Than we can speak in Dutch about the quality of the Telefunken and Studer tape decks as well as some reliable sources for high quality tapes. Can you give me your phone number through pm?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I can / will but I'm no expert , if you wanna know more you better call stb studios he is a former recording eng, and worked with a lot of machines.

http://www.stbstudio.nl/

Thats where I bought mine from he also sells tape , not all but quite a few are good. at 7,5 inch per sec he might also sell 15 inch per sec.
The rest i got from some basement of the NOB (broadcast station),and the B 62 mastertapes
And i also have quite a few ultra analogue tapes , which also differ in quality

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing