Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I will have to disagree with the article. You can set up a mid/side matrix and what I like to do is widen the mix until I can hear the effect, and then notch it back a little. There are some pretty convincing ways to do it. I will agree that I have never heard a plugin that makes it convincing.

I did it on the Sheffield Drum and Track album to bring up the room sound.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I was hoping you would chime in... IME/IMO (limited, especially where plug-ins are concerned) much of the problem is that folk overuse and over apply them (same is true of many effects no matter how generated). Similar to what you said, "If you hear it, it's too loud!" is what my first mastering mentor would often say about effects. Reverb is on that list...

I thought the article targeted plug-ins but skimmed it quickly over lunch'ish.

Aside: I have used M-S mics to good effect though normally just throw up my X-Y adapter. Lazy, too cheap to buy mics with M-S capsules, or get the extra mics placed, etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing