My Munich 2016 notes

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I bought my Epilogs almost 20 years ago, pre Proteus software. I compared Wilson WAMM, Wilson Grand slamm, Goldmund Apologue, Goldmund Analog, B&W Nautilus and chose the Epilog, they are still the best speakers I have heard.
I have heard about integrated digital transmission mods but haven't heard them. I have a standing invitation to go to Switzerland to listen to the latest kit but the prices were high when I bought mine but have moved to a different planet since so I have not been.

I preferred your Animas to your Epilog, and the Yamamura to the big Apologue (as does the owner). I found the Stenheims much different that (at the show at least) their drivers seemed more coherent together.

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
I preferred your Animas to your Epilog, and the Yamamura to the big Apologue (as does the owner). I found the Stenheims much different that (at the show at least) their drivers seemed more coherent together.

You barely listened to the Epilogs and impatiently at that, you had already decided, at that time, the Animas were best and that is what you came to my house to listen to. The second time you came you only listened to the Anima.
Different people have different tastes in sound, thankfully for all the diverse manufacturers in the business! Your taste and mine obviously differ.

Overall, whilst I love the Animas, they are a bit distant in frequency balance, a bit like sitting further back in the concert hall. Sometimes this is how I want to listen, sometimes not.

I had a very experienced listener over here last month and he did not like the balance of the Animas on an old Doors album, but was bowled over by the Epilogs. Most people are, to be honest. I think you are the only person who has heard them who doesn't like the Epilogs much.
OTOH I also like the Magico Q1 and Q5 (I haven't heard the other Qs) and Wilson Saschas and Alexias, but they are not better than the Epilogs to my ears.
I loved Apogee active Divas I had before the Epilogs but panels overlay too much of the listening room acoustic over the recording venue for me, it gives a great effect but was not too realistic replaying my own recordings. I do miss the effect sometimes.

That is it, I had the Divas from 1990 until ~1997, the Epilogs since then and the Animas for a couple of years. I listen many hours a day but those 3 are the only ones I know really well, and I don't even notice sound quality whilst listening to music, which means my system works well for me. I hate evaluating sound quality, so mine is a good final system for me.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lol no, I actually came to see how would a speaker I like compare to a much more expensive speaker - I can see why someone will not like the balance of the Animas. Those who like that speaker like it for timbral and certain specific characteristics rather than an overall complete balance.

I don't like those Magicos and Wilson you mentioned either. I do like the Alexandrias. And apogees sound different speaker to speaker, best one IMO being with Graz panels, Full ranges or Grands, restored by Henk. The Magico S5 at Munich sounded better than any other Magico I had previously heard though, and that goes for S3, S5, Q3, Q5.

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
Lol no, I actually came to see how would a speaker I like compare to a much more expensive speaker - I can see why someone will not like the balance of the Animas. Those who like that speaker like it for timbral and certain specific characteristics rather than an overall complete balance.

I don't like those Magicos and Wilson you mentioned either. I do like the Alexandrias. And apogees sound different speaker to speaker, best one IMO being with Graz panels, Full ranges or Grands, restored by Henk. The Magico S5 at Munich sounded better than any other Magico I had previously heard though, and that goes for S3, S5, Q3, Q5.

Well I love both. To be honest I was expecting to sell the Epilogs when I got the Animas, but sometimes it is them I want to listen to.
I was listening almost exclusively to the Animas but tried the Epilogs with a new amp and was struck again by their natural clarity and accurate instrumental timbre- very much the Goldmund trait.
I am listening to the Qobuz Satie playlist on the Epilogs as I type. I am enjoying it enough to repeat through the Animas.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Well I love both. To be honest I was expecting to sell the Epilogs when I got the Animas, but sometimes it is them I want to listen to.
I was listening almost exclusively to the Animas but tried the Epilogs with a new amp and was struck again by their natural clarity and accurate instrumental timbre- very much the Goldmund trait.
I am listening to the Qobuz Satie playlist on the Epilogs as I type. I am enjoying it enough to repeat through the Animas.

Frank - what portrays a piano more accurately between the 2? I would guess the Epilogs?

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
Frank - what portrays a piano more accurately between the 2? I would guess the Epilogs?

Yes, the Epilogs it was one of the key choice criteria back when I was evaluating speakers in the mid 90s. My wife has a Model "B" Steinway in the music room so we are no stranger to piano music!
The Anima comes very close though.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
f1eng, I've done my best to appreciate the Animas, I really have. The 150 mile round trip I made to Jack's two years ago left me w/as big a feeling of anti climax as I've ever had in audio, esp after Ked's extolling of them. This was on the end of SS Modwright amps.
Then at Munich I wandered into the room w/them playing pwrd by the mahusive new Traformatic SET monos, and things were a lot more promising. There was certainly a degree of horns magic w/creamy and textured mids. But this was just on the staple diet at the show of smooth vocal jazz. The moment AC/DC came tumbling out of the speakers, I had to run for cover as one of the most disjointed and just plain rough sounds I've had the misfortune to experience assaulted me.
I know you and Ked are both pretty selective, hard to please listeners. What am I not getting, and why am I not getting it so dramatically?

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
Not sure. I don't think I have ever played AC/DC. 90% of my listening is classical, which is why I find streaming so irritating. Compared to my Epilogs they have a more distant balance but seem to have a more even in-room bass, though not as extended.
On the rock music I do play the more distant balance makes them less exciting, I suppose than some, but no worse than BBC monitors IME. Overall I love them and the linearity of horns is a boon with wide dynamic range music like symphonies.

Mine have only ever been used with Devialet amps btw. I may well dust off a valve amp to try, but generally the Original d'Atelier is my favourite.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I was struggling w/classical at Jack's too, tbh. No matter, it is what it is. I can't imagine getting on w/them w/Devialet either if the Modwright sunk my boat so comprehensively.
Interesting you use the word "linearity" when describing horns, I'm not sure that's what I would have chosen LOL.

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
I am an engineer. I use the word linear in the technical literal sense. That is, a 5dB increase in power input will give a 5dB increase in sound output. The level at which conventional speakers are able to do this is much lower than horns.

This is true of all true horns, but not those with a conventional low frequency section.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Looking around for information about power conditioners I found some references to a french brand JMF Audio, who manufactures a full range of electronics and horn speakers. I also found some praising references to their exhibition in the Munich 2016 show. Did any of our members listen to their demo?

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 284

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I sat and listened for a bit. The room was engaging and they played excellent music, both classical and jazz. I'd put the room in the upper half of what I heard at the show. Speaker aesthetics aren't my favorite but still fairly nice. Build quality looked fine but I didn't do too much up close examining. Was one of those places that unfortunately I found after a tiring stretch and sat down for a rest because the music was nice but I didn't do any follow up. They are on my list to visit again if I make it back next year.

Beau

Looking around for information about power conditioners I found some references to a french brand JMF Audio, who manufactures a full range of electronics and horn speakers. I also found some praising references to their exhibition in the Munich 2016 show. Did any of our members listen to their demo?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes good midrange but not for me on orchestral as they had a boxy sound similar to Tannoys and AN-Es which I don't like, but some do. Not possible to comment on power conditioner and power cables based on show demo but audioblazer rates them pretty high

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Yes, Marc (SpiritofMusic) and I listened to them briefly. I agree with Bonzo the midrange was good, but it seemed to be a very conventional horn-over-a-cone-in-a-box design. I liked better several other horn speakers I heard in Munich.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Ron
I liked better several other horn speakers I heard in Munich.

Which ones (horn speakers) did you like and ones didn't you like?

Cheers,
Christoph

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing