My Munich 2016 notes

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Nice write up Ked, the show was a blast from start to finish with some really nice sounds being made at all price points

Some of the standouts for me were the Autotech horns, the Lampizator room, the Kondo room and the Thomas Meyer room, it was also nice to bump into you and have a chat

Did you get to the Lampi room on the Sunday, he had changed the Dac to the new Der Siebener Dac, that kicked some serious sound from those speakers

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Which big Stenheims? The Reference or the Refernce Statment ($500K retail with 4 boxes at 300kg each)?

The later - a 4 box affair.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nice write up Ked, the show was a blast from start to finish with some really nice sounds being made at all price points

Some of the standouts for me were the Autotech horns, the Lampizator room, the Kondo room and the Thomas Meyer room, it was also nice to bump into you and have a chat

Did you get to the Lampi room on the Sunday, he had changed the Dac to the new Der Siebener Dac, that kicked some serious sound from those speakers

Thanks. Good to see you too. You are my led zep hero

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
TAD are the best of the cone speakers in some ways, but the ref series outclasses the evo series due to the be midrange cone. Also, the compact evos are nearly the same price as the evo towers and take up about the same space, I havea hard time believing anyone would choose the compact version. I also would not pair them with a tube amps, I've heard TAD speakers many times with a lot of amps and they have only sounded ok with any tube amps I've experienced and far better with TAD amps vs any others I've heard.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
TAD are the best of the cone speakers in some ways, but the ref series outclasses the evo series due to the be midrange cone. Also, the compact evos are nearly the same price as the evo towers and take up about the same space, I havea hard time believing anyone would choose the compact version. I also would not pair them with a tube amps, I've heard TAD speakers many times with a lot of amps and they have only sounded ok with any tube amps I've experienced and far better with TAD amps vs any others I've heard.

Have you heard the stenheim, alumine 5?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Last edited:

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Anyone get a chance to hear the Leedh speakers?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Glad to know you liked Autotec. Many people dismissed those horns as they were in a small room, seems like you, Morricab and I did take the trouble. Very natural sound on acoustic classical

I was with Morricab and I really liked the Autotech Horns Universum a lot. They were my positive surprise this year.

How did you like the Living Voice Vox Palladian, Ked?
It looks as if only Morricab and me were totally blown away by this room...
For me, this room stands so far above all the other demos, it's not in another league, it's another sport. And that for the last 4 (?) years.

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
I heard the Leedhs only one time because they shared playtime with some other speakers in the room.
What I heard was very good, huge soundstage. They were placed very wide apart with much toe in but it worked really well.
Transparency was excellent and imaging was good, maybe even a little bigger than life, the least what one would expect from looking at them.

Sure one of the few pleasant surprises of the show for me.

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
It's quite good for its size. but if the small Stenheim does what it promised at the show, I think it can blow away all of that cone speaker category - wilson, magico, vivid, TAD, etc.

I believe the Stenheim designer was at Goldmund and the small speaker is his more recent take on the Goldmund Epilog 1.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I believe the Stenheim designer was at Goldmund and the small speaker is his more recent take on the Goldmund Epilog 1.

Yes but they sound very different based on this show demo

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
No,

the original Stenheim guys were ex-Goldmund and left years ago. They then left Stenheim selling to to Panchard who is ex-Nagra.

If anything the small Stenheim is more like the proLogos.

Note that all Goldmund speakers to different to everything out there, as they are totally computer designed with the proteus software.

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
No,

the original Stenheim guys were ex-Goldmund and left years ago. They then left Stenheim selling to to Panchard who is ex-Nagra.

If anything the small Stenheim is more like the proLogos.

Note that all Goldmund speakers to different to everything out there, as they are totally computer designed with the proteus software.

I bought my Epilogs almost 20 years ago, pre Proteus software. I compared Wilson WAMM, Wilson Grand slamm, Goldmund Apologue, Goldmund Analog, B&W Nautilus and chose the Epilog, they are still the best speakers I have heard.
I have heard about integrated digital transmission mods but haven't heard them. I have a standing invitation to go to Switzerland to listen to the latest kit but the prices were high when I bought mine but have moved to a different planet since so I have not been.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing