New R2R from Nagra - Model T

Volker Lange came by to see me yesterday, gushing with excitement; Nagra agreed to release a new version of their Model T. No details on pricing but figure on it being expensive. Clearly multiples more expensive than the Horch / reVox R2R.

Heady times for Tape aficionados.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Volker Lange came by to see me yesterday, gushing with excitement; Nagra agreed to release a new version of their Model T. No details on pricing but figure on it being expensive. Clearly multiples more expensive than the Horch / reVox R2R.

Wow...those are supposedly amongst the best tape machines..

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Wow...those are supposedly amongst the best tape machines..

Yes. I have to say I could not imagine such situation a year ago.

Time to get some stocks of companies manufacturing reel to reel magnetic tape ... :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

wow!! now that's a big deal.

I owned a primo Nagra T for awhile and it was a work of audio art. I bought it from a former film editor/colorist guy who used it (very sparingly) in his studio in Atlanta.

maybe the 'coolest' piece of audio gear I've yet owned. it was a bit intimidating due to the fact of no one knowing how to fix it once broken. so I sold it 3 months after I bought it for about $3000 more than I paid for it.

I'd love to see a Nagra T that could get repaired if need be.

i'll predict a price of around the $25k-$35k+ retail range. it is Swiss......after all. my Herzan's, Studer's and darTZeel's are Swiss. I like Swiss.

if anyone ever decided to build a new Studer A-820 I'd predict a price in the $50k-$125k range (or higher) to give some context. it would depend on the size of the production run. they were $25k--$30k in the late 70's, early 80's.

Last edited:

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Very exciting news if this is accurate. As a Nagra user, it would be great to have a chance for others familiar with nagras to be able to feed ideas to Nagra on how the previous machines could be improved for a new release.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
By using thicker aluminium slabs , which will bring more stabilty , i owned a nagra plp once and it was very light weight flimsy , supposedly it was more or less a bit like the small portable nagra recorders , dont know much about the Original model T buildquality.
Who ever makes the all out assualt on r2r s i hope they look a bit at boulder for example for buildquality , not cheap on materials :) another choice would be HPL that stuff is dead as a dodo , aluminium will ring more.

Please dont tell cannata that i said that :D

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
By using thicker aluminium slabs , which will bring more stabilty , i owned a nagra plp once and it was very light weight flimsy (...)

Flimsy? The Nagra PLP? I have owned it and it had a thick solid front and a very solid top and base. IMHO it was very well built and resistant. Nagra tape recorders are known for their robustness.

flim·sy
?flimz?/
adjective
adjective: flimsy; comparative adjective: flimsier; superlative adjective: flimsiest

comparatively light and insubstantial; easily damaged.
"voyagers who crossed the sea in flimsy boats"
synonyms: insubstantial, fragile, breakable, frail, shaky, unstable, wobbly, tottery, rickety, ramshackle, makeshift;

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
comparatively light and insubstantial; easily damaged : i go for this one

especially the powersupply , but the unit itself was very lightweight for high end gear as well , and so was the sound very bass light , no comparison to the solid convergent pre amp sound with power top to bottom, best trade in i ever did , off course its amplification sections are completely different as well
The small nagra recorders were off course meant to be carried around but no need for a preamp not to be a bit more heavier built
For good/dynamic /clear / relaxed sound you need stabilty and no vibrations , same goes for speakers , with no housing resonances the sound will be better
I come from a Heavy industrial machinery background and there is probably a different opinion about how rotating mechanical machinery should be built ,for example the more stable a bearing is placed in a housing , the less vibrations one gets , and a couple of mm wont do it , may be the front of the plp(recorders ) was a bit thicker.
The gentleman asked how for example nagra gear could have been built better , and there is my opinion

The good build quality examples in turntables are plentifull , rockport continuum wavekinetics techdas sme tw acoustic ....
These are all solidly built machines which give vibrations no chance

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
They call 55 kg portable? Who did they build it for, body builders? :D

I have an AEG orbital sander and it is built like a tank.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I spoke to a well known dutch recording enigineer ,and asked him about various recorders , (i might buy a M 15 A of him)
He said he preferred the telefunken and philips recorders over the studers soundwise ??

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I've never operated and/or listened to tape via Telefunken; however, I'm given to understand they are well-regarded.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Would be exciting but I am guessing that Nagra will be watching the release of the Horch/Revox machine to see how it sells before they proceed. Hope they do!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing