What's Your Favorite Santana Album?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Supernatural 1999

I have most of his albums. Have seen him perform many times.

He lives in the SF Bay Area and I would see him frequently. He owns many Mexican restaurants (Maria Maria) one of which was in my old hometown of Danville.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Big fan here... and so is my son now (coincidence, he's writing an essay on him, right now); the latest Santana IV is not that good. I don't know which one is my favorite... I keep going back to all of them, all the way to first LP and tape (which still sounds good). If I had to pick one, it would be the original and then Abraxas. I really like Corazon as well, and have a couple of DVDs

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I would go for Caravanserai followed by Moonflower

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Easily the first one. Novel to the max.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Yes, definitely, and along with this one:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think all of Santana's LP's are excellent. Slightly prefer Caravanserai and Moonflower. IMHO, it is a pity that while his LP's are well recorded, they are not recorded to anything near SOTA.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Theee Best Santana album

Yes, many are great, but this one is the best (listen to his guitar) and dance, dance to the moonlight till no end:

So, anyone who disagrees? :b

Last edited:

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Supernatural 1999

He lives in the SF Bay Area and I would see him frequently. He owns many Mexican restaurants (Maria Maria) one of which was in my old hometown of Danville.

I did not know he's a restaurateur! I have seen him perform in places like Madison Square Garden but the lost memorable performance was in a half empty auditorium at Columbia University in NYC in the eighties. I saw a little poster on a telephone pole, "Come See Carlos "Devadip" Santana perform with the Sri Chinmoy band FREE." I was like, "no way" and i show up and it was like, "way". My guess is the auditorium was half empty because no one believed it and we enjoyed an evening of fusion indian/guitar/sitar music with Carlos. Here is the story of Carlos and Sri Chinmoy:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/carlos-santana-name-change-devadip/

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Supernatural 1999

I consider Santana 1 of those artists best seen live - to be fully appreciated as a musician.

My problem with Supernatural is that every CD, of which I'm aware, is heavily compressed. Supposedly, the 200g LP (version?) has considerably >dynamic values.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I consider Santana 1 of those artists best seen live - to be fully appreciated as a musician.

My problem with Supernatural is that every CD, of which I'm aware, is heavily compressed. Supposedly, the 200g LP (version?) has considerably >dynamic values.

I liked the album because of the duets sung

One of my favorite from that album is Put Your Lights On with Everest. Everest BTW is an interesting artist. Have you heard him sing White Trash Beautiful

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
"Hey now, all you sinners
Put your lights on, put your lights on
Hey now, all you lovers
Put your lights on, put your lights on"
Hey now, all you killers
Put your lights on, put your lights on
Hey now, all you children
Leave your lights on, you better leave your lights on
Cause there's a monster living under my bed
Whispering in my ear
There's an angel, with a hand on my head
She say I've got nothing to fear ..."

:)

Excellent Everlast lyrics/track also, good video 2 ...

Same musical vain ... Al Di Meola and company ...

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
... a bit off-topic perhaps; but the bunnies dancing @playboy fluff brings back memories ... Deep Purple (Hush) ...
(little rant: Deeps recent entry into the silly R&R HOF ... all these decades, finally inducted, they still screw it up)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing