C47 vs c50 McIntosh

FAKING

May 6, 2016
Im thinking of getting either the C47 new or a open box C50, both are $4,000;
which would be a better buy? Although I was looking for an excellent DAC.

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I own a C52 and would go for the C47 over the C50 in a heartbeat. I love how the C52 sounds and it has a great dac inside. I know some complain of dac issues in the C50. My C52, as well as others I've read about, has been rock solid.

FAKING

May 6, 2016
Interesting I heard the C47 had some DAC issues but I believe the new firmware update fixed that up.
Thanks for the review; Im leaning towards the C47.

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Interesting I heard the C47 had some DAC issues but I believe the new firmware update fixed that up.
Thanks for the review; I'm leaning towards the C47.

I am not 100% sure but I believe the dac in the C47/C52 are the same. I hope someone can confirm.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
The Lumin S1 is definitely better and it should be for the price difference. The dac in the C52 is no slouch and performs exceptionally well. I would have no problem using the dac in the C52 as my only dac. I would upgrade other areas of your system first before adding another dac to the system.

How does the DAC (C52) compare to your Lumin S1?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
you have a very nice system...

Thank you very much. You are certainly off to a great start thinking about the gear you are asking questions about. Enjoy the ride and the music.

FAKING

May 6, 2016
I own a C52 and would go for the C47 over the C50 in a heartbeat. I love how the C52 sounds and it has a great dac inside. I know some complain of dac issues in the C50. My C52, as well as others I've read about, has been rock solid.

My other option was getting the C50 then just getting a better newer DAC for it...Do you have any thoughts on this setup?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
That's not a bad idea, but my feelings would be to get the C47 (new) and enjoy the preamp AND dac. Add any saved money for the amp, speakers or cables. Then as funds allow, decide what, if any, dac you want/need. That money saved could go towards the MC452 instead of the MC153/MC302.

Your thoughts? I'd rather have the C47/MC452 combo and later on think of adding things like a tube dac or something. Cables are VERY important too, don't skimp on them.

My other option was getting the C50 then just getting a better newer DAC for it...Do you have any thoughts on this setup?

FAKING

May 6, 2016
That's not a bad idea, but my feelings would be to get the C47 (new) and enjoy the preamp AND dac. Add any saved money for the amp, speakers or cables. Then as funds allow, decide what, if any, dac you want/need. That money saved could go towards the MC452 instead of the MC153/MC302.

Your thoughts? I'd rather have the C47/MC452 combo and later on think of adding things like a tube dac or something. Cables are VERY important too, don't skimp on them.

Getting off topic but oh well. Do you suggest Audioquest?
Im not sure of price of the MC452 but I would probably end up going with a C47 and MC152? So my set up would be macbook pro (USB connections) to C47 to MC152? to speakers

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
That would be a great combo, C47/MC152.

Audioquest or Kimber cables would be great, Kimber being more expensive.

MacBook pro would be a great source. There are more and better options down the road.

FAKING

May 6, 2016
Is there any other preamp / amp that would give the C47/MC152 a run for its in money in the same price range?
Which options are you referring to? thanks

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I meant options for feeding the dac like Aurender or something similar. You'll have to listen to the McIntosh combo. I love it but not everyone here will agree. Some have different tastes.

Is there any other preamp / amp that would give the C47/MC152 a run for its in money in the same price range?
Which options are you referring to? thanks

FAKING

May 6, 2016
Thanks I'm really considering this combo, but after reading other threads it could be worth while getting something a bit beefier like the MC302 but that is quite a price increase from the lower MC152.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
The MC152 peaks at about 100 wpc more than it's spec'd at so you can expect 250 wpc peaks. Plenty of power.

I'd enjoy the MC152 until you locate a gently used MC452 and try and skip the MC302. Just my humble opinion.

Thanks I'm really considering this combo, but after reading other threads it could be worth while getting something a bit beefier like the MC302 but that is quite a price increase from the lower MC152.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Probably not as common as McIntosh. If you start to read test results, you'll see actual power ratings of the amps under review and see that it all depends. Just know that you'll get at least the advertised rating, some amps give more power.

is having more WPC than what specs says common in most other brands of amps?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing