Boston, MA

Attachments

• klaudio-tangential-arm.JPG
    klaudio-tangential-arm.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,761

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I've been dreaming about an arm like this; interesting execution, but can the force of the cartridge really move the arm back and forth, as well as sideways

Thank for posting, ack. It looks quite interesting, but I am confused by the video in the link. The video shows that round device under the middle of the arm tubes rotating. That knob on the periphery rotates and moves the arm back and forth. That device looks motorized. Is that there just for the demo to show how the arm moves while the headshell remains tangent to the grooves, or is it an integral part of the arm design?

My guess is that it is only for demo purposes in the video because of the friction/vibrations it would cause in the arm tubes plus the motorized rotation speed would have to be precise for proper arm movement across the record.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It's for demo, and the armboard is specially designed to showcase the function (there is no turntable either).

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Saw that, but can't really tell how it functions; doesn't look tangential, it looks like it employs some sort of fancy anti-skating device

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
i

There has been similar attempts in the past

Garrard with the Zero 100 TT and arm seen here

IMG_0044_edited.jpg

And the Transkriptor "Vestigial" arm

a.jpg

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
And the Thales.

I'm not yet convinced that the engineering solution overcomes the barely audible distortions from pivoting given perfect set up. My SAEC seems fine!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
And the Thales.

I'm not yet convinced that the engineering solution overcomes the barely audible distortions from pivoting given perfect set up. My SAEC seems fine!

It does. You should try to have a listen. Hearing is believing.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I have spent quite some time with the prototype and production KLAUDiO tonearm and was very impressed by its sonics. Huge open stage with bass you normally do not get from linear tracking arms.

This arm should be taken seriously.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
It does. You should try to have a listen. Hearing is believing.

I will do XV, this KL arm from appearance alone looks like it has been well thought out..!

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Had a look at the video. Looks to operate different than any arm I've seen. One downside is there are a lot of moving parts. Would be interesting to hear it.

Sean

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Cost looks to be about $10k, so by the time our UK KL Audio distributor has it it will no doubt end up at about £10-12k. Oh well, would be good to hear it someday..

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Cost looks to be about $10k, so by the time our UK KL Audio distributor has it it will no doubt end up at about £10-12k. Oh well, would be good to hear it someday..

It is actually 6k.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing