Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KLAudio pivot/tangential arm

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar

KLAudio pivot/tangential arm

I've been dreaming about an arm like this; interesting execution, but can the force of the cartridge really move the arm back and forth, as well as sideways

https://www.facebook.com/xavier.degr...7248813872586/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon
    System link WBF

Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    I've been dreaming about an arm like this; interesting execution, but can the force of the cartridge really move the arm back and forth, as well as sideways
    Thank for posting, ack. It looks quite interesting, but I am confused by the video in the link. The video shows that round device under the middle of the arm tubes rotating. That knob on the periphery rotates and moves the arm back and forth. That device looks motorized. Is that there just for the demo to show how the arm moves while the headshell remains tangent to the grooves, or is it an integral part of the arm design?

My guess is that it is only for demo purposes in the video because of the friction/vibrations it would cause in the arm tubes plus the motorized rotation speed would have to be precise for proper arm movement across the record.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

It's for demo, and the armboard is specially designed to showcase the function (there is no turntable either).
    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon
    System link WBF

Here is another arm that looks like a pivoting tangental arm for Munich:

Name:  SGH_1145mm.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  365.3 KB
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Saw that, but can't really tell how it functions; doesn't look tangential, it looks like it employs some sort of fancy anti-skating device
    System link WBF

that's what I thought too, but the protractor suggests tangent. And that rod may be fixed at one end by the pivoting headshell. Just a thought, can't be sure.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    i

There has been similar attempts in the past

Garrard with the Zero 100 TT and arm seen here

Name:  IMG_0044_edited.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  91.9 KB

And the Transkriptor "Vestigial" arm

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  138.4 KB
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Uk Paul's Avatar
    And the Thales.

I'm not yet convinced that the engineering solution overcomes the barely audible distortions from pivoting given perfect set up. My SAEC seems fine!
    Z:Axis Audio

Balanced Power ~ 'Symetrica' by Z:Axis Audio TT Sony TTS 8000 / SAEC WE-506/30 / Nasotec Swing / Aidas PanzerHolz-Diamond, Allnic H3000 Phono /KR Audio 'Lampi Anniv 5U4G CD Ayon CD transport / Concert Fidelity DAC 040B/D /Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 Pre / ZL200 Amplifiers / Martin Logan Spire - Extensively modified. Cabling is by Z-Axis Audio, Reference mains leads, 'Reference B52' interconnects, 'Livewire' speaker cables. Mirage equipment support.

Quote Originally Posted by Uk Paul View Post
    And the Thales.

I'm not yet convinced that the engineering solution overcomes the barely audible distortions from pivoting given perfect set up. My SAEC seems fine!
    It does. You should try to have a listen. Hearing is believing.
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3 & P10, Technics SL-1000MK3D, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas, Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37, Esoteric E-03 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    I have spent quite some time with the prototype and production KLAUDiO tonearm and was very impressed by its sonics. Huge open stage with bass you normally do not get from linear tracking arms.

This arm should be taken seriously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast