Some interesting stuff at Munich 2016

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
A few more pics before I pack my bags and return home.
The mbl room was as stunning as stunning can be.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 547
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 552

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
My personal high points from Munich : an autographed copy of "INTERLUDES" by Lyn Stanley and meeting Luis the owner/designer of the Kronos Pro.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 527
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 532

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Someone please rotate the pictures. My head is spinning on this thread :p

If you have a Windows based computer, you may want to try the freeware program Irfanview. It is small and easy to use, and it will allow you to rotate, crop, resize, and otherwise manipulate your photographs. Plus, it will open a lot of other files. I consider it to be a "must have" for Windows users.

http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

Get the 32 bit version, and also get the plugin package. At the link, use the TechSpot download. I just checked it, and it is clean.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just waiting at my hotel before flight home.
Travelled up w/Barry2016 (thanx for not letting me get lost), stayed w/Ron Resnick (thanx for putting up w/my snoring!) and met Sean/Sencha (hi!).
A few general thoughts. What is it w/all the "smooth jazz" being played in 90% of rooms, esp the horns rooms that seem to have no rock in the repotoire? Ralph of Cessaro didn't have a single rock lp to demo.
I will really have to bring some music next time.
Sounds of the show?
Far and away the best, the Dohmann/Ypsilon/Wilson room. I'm not the most massive Wilson fan, but the new Ypsilon hybrid monoblocks just made the room disappear as the s/stage extended metres in every direction. Dohmann tt a real contender. Standout was the Ypsilon cdp. Simple 16.44 rbcd, not upsampled etc, blew away other digital at the show by some margin.
Worst? The WE vintage horns. After the big build up for many years, I finally heard them, and wish I hadn't.
Big suprise personally? Meeting Sean Casey of Zu Audio fame (my speakers). One of the genuine nice guys in audio. Passionate, driven, and truly humble/down to earth, and we discussed a little personal project he might do for me. THIS i never expected...
More reports to come...

The WE this year were very different from the last two years. He gets fifteen WE stock from his museum each year. I am with main purpose of spending most of my two days there and ended up with fifteen minutes or less.

Did you demo your own stuff in the Wilson ypsilon room.

Meeting the designer of zus is also high on my priority list, next only to a led zep reunion

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Just waiting at my hotel before flight home.
Travelled up w/Barry2016 (thanx for not letting me get lost), stayed w/Ron Resnick (thanx for putting up w/my snoring!) and met Sean/Sencha (hi!).
A few general thoughts. What is it w/all the "smooth jazz" being played in 90% of rooms, esp the horns rooms that seem to have no rock in the repotoire? Ralph of Cessaro didn't have a single rock lp to demo.
I will really have to bring some music next time.
Sounds of the show?
Far and away the best, the Dohmann/Ypsilon/Wilson room. I'm not the most massive Wilson fan, but the new Ypsilon hybrid monoblocks just made the room disappear as the s/stage extended metres in every direction. Dohmann tt a real contender. Standout was the Ypsilon cdp. Simple 16.44 rbcd, not upsampled etc, blew away other digital at the show by some margin.
Worst? The WE vintage horns. After the big build up for many years, I finally heard them, and wish I hadn't.
Big suprise personally? Meeting Sean Casey of Zu Audio fame (my speakers). One of the genuine nice guys in audio. Passionate, driven, and truly humble/down to earth, and we discussed a little personal project he might do for me. THIS i never expected...
More reports to come...

Well, then I guess you didn't really get to hear the Living Voice Vox Palladian/Kondo set up if you think the Ypsilon/Wilson room was far and away the best. NOTHING else sound really close to the real thing...only the LV/Kondo. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Ypsilon/wilson room a lot (it was my top 3 rooms with conventional loudspeakers, however, I think Ypsilons own speakers sound even better than the Wilsons) but it had none of the realism that the LV/Kondo conjures up with absolute ease. Nothing else did either, not Tune Audio/Trafomatic, not Zellaton and whatever, not Cessaro, definitely not Kharma...no one.

I would agree that the WE vintage horns was not maybe as good as the last couple of years, but worst sound at the show?? That I can definitely not agree with as with some music (usually without too much deep bass content) it had a very compelling sound.

BTW, did you hear by chance the Nagra/Wilson set up? I thought in a lot of ways it was as good as the Ypsilon/Wilson. Very delicate and refined, which surprised me as the amps were pure SS. Also, what did you think of the Zellaton Supreme room? I thought that speaker has REAL potential (a really high price too!!) but the electronics were a bit too analytical for the speaker ultimately.

For me the biggest pleasant surprise was the KR Audio and RdAcoustic horns on the ground floor. Amazing immediacy with real bass courtesy of a very well designed horn...all from a humble Fostex full-range driver. For 10K from a Czech company it was the giant killer of the show and KR is am amp that simply delivers time and time again. They didn't even have a really good source!

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I can fix them for you but I need your permission to download them and re-upload them from my server. Let me know if you want me to do that.

Pls do

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg

Rare Neumann TT

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg

Some of us requested Goebel to be paired with Vitus new stereo amp S103 , minor version of MPS I used to own . The best sound I have heard in Vitus room . Do check out Goebel reference statement with the big subwoofer. 1 of the best speakers in town but pricey at abt Euro 260k+
The 9 layered main drivers patented by Oliver Goebel can play down to 160 hz

Last edited:

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg
image.jpg

A pair of GIP drivers for the mid & treble of the WE horn - 2 pairs for the set up & 1 original pair in the set up , cost €192k per pair

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg
image.jpg

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg

image.jpg
The left tube , WE VT1 more than 100 years old & the right WE VT2 from the 60s used on Silbatone gears

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The WE of 2014 and 2015 were brilliant. This year were disappointing. The Goebbel room did not sound good at all, I played some orchestral and tone did not sound right. Can be various reasons, one can never tell at a show. I heard both this and the big Goebbel. i did like the Vitus rooms last year and the year before.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg

image.jpg
Silvercore super duper power conditioner . All cables in the set up are from silvercore

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Can I rotate some of those awesome pictures from my end? ...And if yes, how?

Just copy the image in the clipboard (press right button mouse and click copy image in Firefox) and then paste it in Irfanview or similar viewer. All you have now is to rotate it (L or R in Irfanview).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just copy the image in the clipboard (press right button mouse and click copy image in Firefox) and then paste it in Irfanview or similar viewer. All you have now is to rotate it (L or R in Irfanview).
It is simpler than that. Just same the image to a file. Select them, right click on them and click on rotate. That's it. You don't need any software.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing