Some interesting stuff at Munich 2016

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Bumped post, for correction purpose (edited from the price mentioned in the video): http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...at-Munich-2016&p=395145&viewfull=1#post395145

Thank you for reading. :b

1. Turntable is 110,000 € (without the arm).
2. Tangential Tracking Tonearm = 80,000 € (without the TT).
\\ Total = 190,000 Euros (cart included...I think).
_________

2. 80000 Euro equals 90464.00 US Dollar
• 80000 Euro equals 117046.85 Canadian Dollar

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm not so sure Ron. I guess when it comes to horns/panels/ribbons/tubes, opinions will be pretty polarising. Maybe on SS/dynamic cones, more of a consensus would be had.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Simon, of course I'm stating the bleeding obvious as they say in the UK :cool:.
I do find this disparity interesting esp for the strong emotions that what we consider poor and good sound to be capable of.
Maybe the price tags and truly atrocious music played at Munich makes us all the more opinionated/emotional :)p x100)

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bumped post, for correction purpose (edited from the price mentioned in the video): http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...at-Munich-2016&p=395145&viewfull=1#post395145

Thank you for reading. :b

1. Turntable is 110,000 € (without the arm).
2. Tangential Tracking Tonearm = 80,000 € (without the TT).
\\ Total = 190,000 Euros (cart included...I think).
_________

2. 80000 Euro equals 90464.00 US Dollar
• 80000 Euro equals 117046.85 Canadian Dollar

Northstar, Euros 190k, and a cart is included. This is just so generous!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This is true! But we don't have to be quite that nihilistic. (I don't think 100 guys would end up with 100 different systems.)

If 10 people listen to the same system I don't think there would be 10 different opinions as to the sound of that system. I think there would be two or three or four differing views around which people would coalesce.

You're an optimist Ron... I believe that 100 is not the right answer: At least 110 systems because there willbe a few who will end up with two systems.

This said I truly believe that if certain biases are removed we could see a convergence toward a lower number. We cling to the idea that we listen with our ears but the truth is that several external factors shape our preferences and those have nothing to do with sound

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is true! But we don't have to be quite that nihilistic. (I don't think 100 guys would end up with 100 different systems.)

If 10 people listen to the same system I don't think there would be 10 different opinions as to the sound of that system. I think there would be two or three or four differing views around which people would coalesce.

It also depends on who those 10 are and what music they listen to and what gear they have heard. You, Spirit and I are differ in our music auditions. Simone and I are similar, but then there is a difference in the gear that we have heard. Also differs is the audition style. For example, you and I brought along our LPs, Ron, but Spirit did not, and I am not sure Simone did.

So all of a sudden there is a lot of difference in music tastes, gear experience, and audition style used to make judgements that might explain SOME, not all, of those differences

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You're an optimist Ron... I believe that 100 is not the right answer: At least 110 systems because there willbe a few who will end up with two systems.

This said I truly believe that if certain biases are removed we could see a convergence toward a lower number. We cling to the idea that we listen with our ears but the truth is that several external factors shape our preferences and those have nothing to do with sound

Frantz, good luck removing those biases!
You can start w/me, I listened at length to all those flagship spkrs approaching SOTA w/megaWatt SS amplification, and not one appealed to me. I went into each demo expecting this outcome.
Yet I went into the Ypsilon/Wilson Alexia demo expecting nothing much never having really be turned on by Wilsons, and did a 180 within moments. Must have been those Ypsilon tubes, in the cdp and hybrid amps.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Frantz, good luck removing those biases!
You can start w/me, I listened at length to all those flagship spkrs approaching SOTA w/megaWatt SS amplification, and not one appealed to me. I went into each demo expecting this outcome.
Yet I went into the Ypsilon/Wilson Alexia demo expecting nothing much never having really be turned on by Wilsons, and did a 180 within moments. Must have been those Ypsilon tubes, in the cdp and hybrid amps.

I know.. :)

I am planning to finally go to a show this year and meet some of you guys .. On WIlson I believe the direction of Wilson changed subtly but significantly with the introduction of the X2 several years ago. I haven't heard the latest generation of Wilson namely the Alexia, XLF and Alexx so cannot for an opinion but from friends reports they seem to have been getting more neutral with a less pronounced lower treble

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I know.. :)

I am planning to finally go to a show this year and meet some of you guys .. On WIlson I believe the direction of Wilson changed subtly but significantly with the introduction of the X2 several years ago. I haven't heard the latest generation of Wilson namely the Alexia, XLF and Alexx so cannot for an opinion but from friends reports they seem to have been getting more neutral with a less pronounced lower treble

Oh, I can suggest a much better EU audition tour than Munich

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Switching to a soft dome tweeter for the XLF, the Alexia and the Alexx eliminated that lower treble brightness.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Northstar, Euros 190k, and a cart is included. This is just so generous!

It's just a guess; I don't have confirmation. But it's no big deal because if you can afford the TT & TA I'm sure you still have spare change for a cart.

* Mexico; do they have audio shows there?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, the Alexia really was special w/the Ypsilons. As it was w/Nagra SS. Maybe Wilson will become my second favourite spkr company out of Utah!
What are the details on this tour Ked?
For me, I may make the effort to travel to listen to Martion and Haigner horns in Germany, Henk's Graz Apogees in The Netherlands, and in the US, Sadurni and the Zu factory re new flagships. I'm intrigued by the Wheel Fi horns too, dspite the company's resolute silence on my requests for info. That'll be my tour of duty.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It's just a guess; I don't have confirmation. But it's no big deal because if you can afford the TT & TA I'm sure you still have spare change for a cart.

* Mexico; do they have audio shows there?

That's good Northstar, 'cause I sure ain't got the spare change for a cart AND phono stage at those prices :eek:!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well, the Alexia really was special w/the Ypsilons. As it was w/Nagra SS. Maybe Wilson will become my second favourite spkr company out of Utah!
What are the details on this tour Ked?
For me, I may make the effort to travel to listen to Martion and Haigner horns in Germany, Henk's Graz Apogees in The Netherlands, and in the US, Sadurni and the Zu factory re new flagships. I'm intrigued by the Wheel Fi horns too, dspite the company's resolute silence on my requests for info. That'll be my tour of duty.

I didn't understand, what tour details are you referring to?

I have heard Haigner horns throughly, Sadurni Marty and I had both been to listen to. Still not sure why someone traveling to the East Coast won't have Marty's system as their priority. And why are the trios with bass horns not on that list? Or the Leipzig WE 16A

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That's good Northstar, 'cause I sure ain't got the spare change for a cart AND phono stage at those prices :eek:!

Me neither Mr. Spirit ? / still some interesting stuff @ Munich Hi-End audio show. ...Top audio engineers and designers...the best of the best.
Everything's for sale...with a price.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
From the Burmester room

New reference speaker Consept 500 with new 159 monoblocks. Massive componentes ;-) Sounded really good. Its possible to turn part of the side out for a live mode. The reference 500 are related to weight of the speaker and it is one and kg. Need a crane to move it...

View attachment 27012

View attachment 27013

View attachment 27014

I've heard at Munich hiend show 2016 (many times) the Burmester room with C500 Concept in "pure mode", in the correct listening position, drove by the new outstanding mono amps 159 and the musical performance blown me away...Superbly goosebump. The room was constantly full of audiophiles and at the end of each demo listening session they applauded the excited musical performance....Absolutely amazing. The best sound of the show by a very wide margin.

The C500 is just a prototype speakers and the 159's is a new mono-amps.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This one Ked. Night night all.

Depends on number of days
1. Apogee Grands, Netherlands. I haven't heard the ones with NATs yet, but these speakers IMO beat anything at Munich, or anywhere, by a fair margin
2. WE 16A, Leipzig - he is getting another WE Londons.
3. Trios with bass horns in Frankfurt or Monaco though I am sure US folks could find some in their area

I am sure you guys could do the Wilsons, Vivids and Magicos anywhere, US or other places, so need to go to Munich for that. You could if you wanted listen to the Neoliths and Cessaro Liszt in London but again US guys could do that in the US. Stenheim is at audioarts in NY, and in EU in Switzerland, plus Hyperion is getting them in Stockholm. There will be Kaiser and Kondo distros in the US as well.

Tune Audio Animas are in Paris and Birmingham. Pick one.

There are Acapella distros in the US.

There is a DIY horn in Berlin. Some of these speakers listed above may not be buyable or implementable, but they are all very different sounds from each other and help us discover what is important to us, and IMO do so better than Munich. Munich is then good to visit to enjoy with fellow gearheads, and look for a few things to add onto potential audition list, but like with any hifi show I would strongly suggest against using it for critical listening and judgements on gear save a couple of exceptions.

What I do miss out from EU tour, which a lot of people want to listen to is the Vox.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Switching to a soft dome tweeter for the XLF, the Alexia and the Alexx eliminated that lower treble brightness.

I never found them bright, I had issues with other things related to the smaller models (not Alexandria)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing