New Revox Reel

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Thanks a lot, Micro. Makes sense. I presume you can't substitute regular heads for the butterfly heads?

You should be able to change from DIN to NAB. Just need to re-cal. I have both headblocs for my Studers.

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
I record all the masters for UltraAnalogue Recordings with butterfly heads on a custom Studer A80... I find the extra width of signal makes the sound more solid.... so I would say, butterfly heads are better if the masters were recorded with butterfly heads... if the masters were recorded with 2mm heads, then there is no benefit & likely more noise....

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Could you explain that ??

Micro posted THIS

Plus, the butterfly head (DIN head) was created so the BBC could playback Mono and Stereo tapes without having to change heads, thus the stereo separation/imaging isn't as good as the NAB heads.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Am I mad to be considering taking the plunge into r2r without owning any software yet?

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Anybody is crazy for getting into tape. That said, dive right in the waters warm.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Am I mad to be considering taking the plunge into r2r without owning any software yet?

It depends on your expenditure criterion ... Remember that tapes are really expensive!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think companies that sell tape copies should also sell cheaper tape something comparable to basf per 528 for example.
I ve got quite a few and they sure have the tape sound

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing