JBL 2235h

Micke E

May 4, 2016
Hi,
Is there a way to discover and recongnize if a woofer(2225, 2231, 2234, 2235 or 136A) are reconed with a genuine JBL C8R2235 Recone Kit or an aftermarket reproduktion one, just by looking at it?
In that case, what is there to look for?

Best Regards
Mikael Ekholm

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Yes the cones surrounds usually have little white JBL stamps a sticker with a part number on the cone and the reconers usually write in grease pencil the cone so for a 2235 it would have 2235 hand written on it. If you can measure the Fs it should be 20Hz or lower. The 2235 has a mass ring that is not included in most after market kits so Fs will measure above spec. More closely to a 2234 which doesn't have the mass ring but uses the same recone kit.

Rob:)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes the cones surrounds usually have little white JBL stamps a sticker with a part number on the cone and the reconers usually write in grease pencil the cone so for a 2235 it would have 2235 hand written on it. If you can measure the Fs it should be 20Hz or lower. The 2235 has a mass ring that is not included in most after market kits so Fs will measure above spec. More closely to a 2234 which doesn't have the mass ring but uses the same recone kit.

Is there a thing you don't know about JBL Rob? :)

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Is there a thing you don't know about JBL Rob?

Hello Amirm

LOL of course but after over 10 years on Lansing Heritage you pick up a lot. Not like I have not seen that one before. There are some guys over there make me feel like a rookie

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hello Amirm

LOL of course but after over 10 years on Lansing Heritage you pick up a lot. Not like I have not seen that one before. There are some guys over there make me feel like a rookie

Rob,

A difficult question - where can I source a decent JBL 4660a/DD55000 replica horn?

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Hello Micro

I have no idea. I have never heard of anyone trying to repro that horn as it is quite large and not easy buy any means. What I would do is watch E Bay as the 4660's show up from time to time. Usually they are in decent shape however sometimes they get painted especially ones from church installs. Good luck finding one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing