Captive Cables

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
I would agree that the IEC connection is a weak link forced on equipment manufactures by audiophiles who won't leave good enough alone.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would agree that the IEC connection is a weak link forced on equipment manufactures by audiophiles who won't leave good enough alone.

The IEC connection is not a significant weak link unless it is of very poor quality or inadequate to your device. IMHO even by non audiophile standards it adds a lot of convenience to equipment - you can have different power cable sizes and the manipulation of the equipment is much easier. Also as the IEC plug is narrower than the Shucko plug sometimes the only way of inserting molded power cables is pushing from the IEC side.

The IEC cable is also a safety feature - if everything else fails you just pull the IEC power when the mains connector is inaccessible.

Just to finish, in Europe it is much easier to properly connect live in neutral with IEC power cables.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The IEC does have an amazingly large influence on the sound, my friend Steven built two DACs, one for a friend with the only difference being a high end IEC inlet and he thought there would be no difference but there was an obvious, very audible difference for the better with the unit with the Furutech IEC.

No, it's really for easier packing, shipping and installation.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
The IEC does have an amazingly large influence on the sound, my friend Steven built two DACs, one for a friend with the only difference being a high end IEC inlet and he thought there would be no difference but there was an obvious, very audible difference for the better with the unit with the Furutech IEC.

No, it's really for easier packing, shipping and installation.
Would have been very interesting if he'd built a third with a captive cable.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Eh, nobody wants equipment with captive power cables, it's really inconvenient.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Northstar, take it elsewhere. I know for sure you've never even tried high end cables, ever. You have no experience and no idea. Your beliefs are based on fantasies in your head.

We don't need to be "saved" by the kinds of idiots in the video you posted. I'd consider posting that video trolling, it's insulting and he's a complete idiot. Just listen to him.. jfc, what an a$$hole...

Muser

Jan 21, 2016

Agreed. Inconvenient? Yes. But, good contact would not be an issue. If you're interested in this topic, check out the late Allen Wright's "Cable Cookbook." I found it quite interesting. Have built a few of my own interconnects which are much better having tried some of Allen's ideas. Not as good as the higher end Kubala Sosna, etc., but getting closer at pennies to the dollars.

I do, however, also agree that better quality IEC's can make a difference. Ditto for wall sockets, stupid pricing notwithstanding.

Larry

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Northstar, take it elsewhere. I know for sure you've never even tried high end cables, ever. You have no experience and no idea. Your beliefs are based on fantasies in your head.

We don't need to be "saved" by the kinds of idiots in the video you posted. I'd consider posting that video trolling, it's insulting and he's a complete idiot. Just listen to him.. jfc, what an a$$hole...

Relax, and smile. :b

It's not about the poster, but the content...humor.
You know none about my beliefs, about my experience...so keep it to yourself. Don't get so offended, and high pitched, nobody said anything wrong to you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing